It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Earth Really Move?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Ischyros, I made a mistake when I said that the ball has the same momentum. It doesn't, it has the same velocity. This velocity is conserved, because the momentum is conserved. The momentum is not the same, because momentum depends on mass and velocity, instead of just depending on velocity.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
2 questions:

How do you explain Satallite images that record the rotation of the earth around the sun and it't spinning on it's axis?

How do explain how I can be sitting on my deck in VA during a sunset, then hop on a plane, head to LA, and see the same sunset a few hours later? Am I chasing the sun which revolves around the earth, or am I back tracking the rotation of the spinning earth?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ever consider: Why are the planets of our solar system round (actually slightly oval) in shape? Current abilities such as placing objects in orbit: or calculating the possibility of another plantet (before it was found: Pluto): or comparing the mass and gravitational influence of our own solar system-- dispells the possibility of our planet being the center. Let's also consider the findings of the Hubble telescope and we can view (measure) other systems and thier properties- I don't believe they have found a solar system/Galaxy that has a planet at it's center (but that does raise a very interesting question). Quite frankly, our plantet does not have the mass/gravitational influence to make a planet the size of Saturn to orbit us.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ischyros
When a plane is flying above the earth, it is experiencing air resistance right? How does the plane achieve the same momentum as the atmosphere it is flying in?

It does not achive the same momentum...... it starts off with it.

It, like the ball in the car, is ALREADY going that fast and in that derection, all changes in speed are only relitive to that.

The Atmosphere acts the same as the roof and windshield on the car.

This is a gross oversimplification but maybe you get the idea

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
Ischyros, I made a mistake when I said that the ball has the same momentum. It doesn't, it has the same velocity. This velocity is conserved, because the momentum is conserved. The momentum is not the same, because momentum depends on mass and velocity, instead of just depending on velocity.

No problem, Amantine. Btw, do you consider Amuk's last post to be correct?

Originally posted by Amuk

When a plane is flying above the earth, it is experiencing air resistance right? How does the plane achieve the same momentum as the atmosphere it is flying in?

It, like the ball in the car, is ALREADY going that fast and in that derection, all changes in speed are only relitive to that.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It can be observed that every planet and satalite does in fact rotate on its own axis. Now why they all rotate EXCEPT Earth?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   

No problem, Amantine. Btw, do you consider Amuk's last post to be correct?

No, I think he has the right idea, but a minor mistake. "It does not achive the same momentum...... it starts off with it." They both achieve the same rotational speed when the plane is on the earth. This doesn't mean the same momentum. The plane starts with the same speed as the atmosphere and changes the relative speed with the engines.

If I understand where you're going with these questions, I think this is what you want to know: everything in the earth system already rotates with the earth. When a plane flies in the atmosphere, it already has the momentum to keep up with the rotation of the earth. The atmosphere has the required momentum as well. The only thing that matters for air resistance is the relative velocity and because the plane and the atmosphere both have the rotation velocity, the rotation of the earth doesn't change the air resistance for the plane.

If you don't believe that the atmosphere rotates with the earth, think about those weather satellites of large storms. Hurricanes don't go around the earth every day.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
No, I think he has the right idea, but a minor mistake. "It does not achive the same momentum...... it starts off with it." They both achieve the same rotational speed when the plane is on the earth. This doesn't mean the same momentum. The plane starts with the same speed as the atmosphere and changes the relative speed with the engines.

Thanks for the correction the mistake was in terms not in the general idea, you explained what I was getting at.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
kabbala is that stupid sect madonna is in right?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
so the earth stays still and the rest of the universe goes around it

erm - when we sent out voyeger probes , didnt they slingshot past the sun and earth a couple of times - if the earth stays still then the slingshot wouldnt have worked as the earth would have been in the wrong place

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
stop it! why does everything in the entire universe have to be a conspiricy? why are u people debating the fact that the earth is round? who even cares? not everything in the world is a conspricy people next thing you are going to be arguing if the sun really exist or if it is just an illusion made by the government to cover up the real truth that the aliens are heating earth by burning trash.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
DannT.. after reading the topic I couldn't decide if this topic was honestly asked or not, so I threw my two cents in.
But here's another two:
Ask people this question: When we see the moon at night and it's cresent shaped, what causes the shadow on the moon?
The answers you get will inform you of the knowledge that person has concerning the bigger picture (in the solar system aspect that is). Try it.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
How do you explain the season in Alaska. Durring the summer the sun dosent set until midnight and during the winter the sun only comes out for 3 hours a day. For this to happen the earth has to revoles around the sun and it has to be on a tilt. there really isn't any other reason. Unless you believe the earth is the center of the universe. If that is the case burn me at the steak and kill all witches.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The rotation of the Earth on it's own axis can be demonstrated (and IS demonstrated for public viewing in various locations) by using 'Foucault Pendulum'. Here is a cool step by step understanding of how it all works and the history behind it.

www.calacademy.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
The rotation of the Earth on it's own axis can be demonstrated (and IS demonstrated for public viewing in various locations) by using 'Foucault Pendulum'. Here is a cool step by step understanding of how it all works and the history behind it.

Foucault's Pendulum has a problem. It's called the Allais effect.

"The Allais effect describes the unexplained increase in speed of a moving pendulum during a solar eclipse. It was first observed in 1954 by Maurice Allais, a French economist who went on to win the Nobel prize for Economics."

Further Reading:
Gravitational Anomalies - the 'Allais Effect www.impactlab.com...

Decrypting the Eclipse
A Solar Eclipse, Global Measurements and a Mystery- science.nasa.gov...

Follow-up on NASA's experiment - naturalscience.com... (No info yet forthcoming on the result.)

[edit on 9-9-2004 by Ischyros]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Trust me on this,

If the earth stopped moving the fit would really hit the shan

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
In response to the article about the airplane flying the opposite direction of the rotation of the earth: If the earth is truly rotating at over 1000 then everything on it is moving relatively that same speed. When the airplane takes off in any direction upon accelerating it changes its speed relative to the speed it was moving through the universe. When I accelerate myself in any direction I'm still moving through the universe at a relative speed adjusted only by my direction of acceleration.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
You could think whatever you wanted to, its not gonna change anything.

Like what others probably said, its all relative.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
kabbala is that stupid sect madonna is in right?

Well, yeah...at least if Madonna was Jewish and a man

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I still cant beleive some people are convinced the Earth is stationary. If the Earth didnt spin on its own axis, then we wouldnt have what is called the "Correalis Effect". Without it we wouldnt have hurricanes, tropical storms and air currents moving in circular motions. What would happen is air would move in a straight line from a high pressure system to a low pressure system. Its a well known fact that this doesnt happen. Air moves in a circular fashion from a high to a low pressure system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join