It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans And The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
OK, I've wanted to create a thread about Republican political idealism for quite a while. This isn't exactly what I've been thinking about but it's close enough for now.

I'm sure that any Star Trek fans here on ATS have already seen where this is going.

Republicans typically have a business above all else mindset. High profits and low taxes are their favorite aphrodisiacs. Watching Stock tickers is considered as recreational and dying with enough money to buy a small country is the ultimate success.

The fictional world of the Star Trek universe allowed the creation of a race of people who take good old Republican values to an exaggerated almost obscene level. Their code of conduct is known as the Rules of Acquisition. Many of the rules are fanciful and there to just fill in but there are more than a few that most republicans would be in total agreement with.

Here are some of my favorites...

#1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.
#3 Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to.
#9 Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
#10 Greed is eternal
#35 War is good for business.
#85 Never let the competition know what you're thinking.
#97 Enough ... is never enough.
#111 Treat people in your debt like family ... exploit them.
#255 A wife is a luxury ... a smart accountant is a necessity.

I sourced this from an incomplete list but it's enough to prove the concept.
www.sjtrek.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
YES!

I always use the Ferengi Argument when talking economics, hehehe
I've always wandered why trekkies weren't shunned as commies up there in the usas...
Nice post

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Republicans....,Rules....,We don't need no stinking rules!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Either way you look at it, the Democrats and Republicans are both glorified thieves.

Democratic mindset: "You made how much money?!??! you HAVE to share what YOU made!!"

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
but ferengi's look more like libs.

but act like borgs!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

You are 100% right

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
i liked the ferengi and all i can add is well they didnt have a hell of alot of people on welfare

edited to add: the ferengi didnt beleive in fiat currency gold pressed latnum was the payment of choice.
edit on 28-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i liked the ferengi and all i can add is well they didnt have a hell of alot of people on welfare

edited to add: the ferengi didnt beleive in fiat currency gold pressed latnum was the payment of choice.

Yeah, they had a great economic model that really kept their society free of welfare.

Oh...wait. No they didn't. They are made up characters on a TV show.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

No. They did not actually exist.
I hate that I have to remind you that.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Crapspackle

they are more real than the "tv show" of american congressman and politics

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

they are more real than the "tv show" of american congressman and politics

I am not sure if that is supposed to be clever, funny, or what but you stating that aliens from star trek are more real than the real people really running our country into the ground does not even begin to touch reality. They are fictional beings completely made up. The people in Washington actually exist.

How do I get to live in your fantasy world where we can pretend fictional aliens are more real than real people doing real things?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

coz of the op.

he/she is having fun, i can roll wit dat.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

dude whatever those people who are running this country in the ground are not anymore real and geniune than those tv characters.

they both follow a script and act accordingly.

i am living in relaity are you? doesnt sound like it if your buying that dog and pony show in washington these days

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Yeah, but Republicans don't have those kickass energy whips.

So the Ferengi are still several degrees more cool than any given Republican
edit on 28/7/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I found some more info on Ferengi that would make Republicans envious.

Ferengi culture is so devoted to unregulated capitalism that concepts such as labor unions, sick leave, vacations, or paid overtime for workers are considered abhorrent, because they would interfere with the exploitation of workers. Ferengi workers don't particularly mind this system, because they all want to eventually gather enough wealth to become employers themselves, exploiting their own workers. In addition to the Rules, the Ferengi also recognize the five Stages of Acquisition: infatuation, justification, appropriation, obsession, and resale.

Source

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
My bad for pointing out that characters from a scifi tv show are just characters from a scifi tv show. I now see how wrong that was.
Go back to telling each other these aliens are real for some reason then.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Well, for some posters here, the lines between reality and fantasy are pretty blurry. Foggy, even. Some would even say, fully evaporated.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

the Ferengi only did war for profit.

in Iraq, only the criminals are making a profit.

with the time, training and right parrot, you could train a bird to be a typical congressman.

all the parrot has to say is "no new taxes", and the criminals fleecing America will send their campaign contributions.

most new congressman's are just stupid parrots spouting ideology and dogma.
a talking bird could do the same, if they only had a birth certificate, they could join that new bunch of congressmen.

i doubt the founding fathers had any idea the American people would ever elect such a hopeless bunch to run our country.

they did say the Congress was responsible for paying the Government debt.
of course the last election produced a congress who would rather exploit this crisis than do their constitutional duties, very Ferengi.

and the corporate welfare will keep flowing, as will the campaign contributions, very Ferengi.

a friend said "you have to give the Republicans credit, they did the impossible, they made the Democrats look good"

at this point i see the situation as:

the Democrats are very bad, and the Republicans much worst.

very hard to be optimistic.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Ferengi as the republicans.

Borg as the democrats.

I'm going with the Ferengi.
(would someone stroke my ear lobe?)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think this about sums up the divide between what our gov't thinks is fair for itself and the taxpayer

youtu.be...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join