It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion at Power Plant Rattles Astoria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Explosion at Power Plant Rattles Astoria

www.nbcne wyork.com

A loud explosion at a power plant in Astoria rattled the neighborhood Wednesday night, shattering nearby car and apartment windows and frightening residents, according to fire and police officials.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
lockerz.com

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The power plant supplies some electricity to Con Edison.

Con Edison provides Gas, Electricity, and Steam to New York.

Not sure if its true or not, but hopefully it isnt. And wasn't it said that terrorist will, and have infiltrated some of the US major power plants?

www.nbcne wyork.com

edit on 27-7-2011 by Oozii because: Radiation Leak = Different Date. Removed.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Yup, seems like what they said could be coming true;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Coal generating plant accidents are a pretty regular occurrences across the USA - gonna have to be something more than "just" an explosion to actually link it to any terrorist activity:

Harrisburg, early June 2011

Black Dog, September 2010

Employee killed in coal plant explosion, Wilmington, March 2011

3 firefighters injured in coal plant explosion, September 2010

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Sure hope not.

No update as to what has been damaged, and if and where power has been cut, but once I see an update i'll be sure to post it.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Where the heck is astoria, Theres an astoria where i live but i am sure it cant be the one they are refering to

NYC was thinkin that but they sure didnt make that very clear
edit on 27-7-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Well depends, are you currently located in New York? If so its more than likely it is.

You didn't hear an explosion?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Astoria is a section of the borough of Queens.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I was wondering - what kind
of power plant?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Oil and gas - www.uspowergen.com...

There have been many oil and/or gas explosions in the US over the years too - sadly anywhere you have a concentration of energy is prone to having it released in an uncontrolled fashion every now and then -

connecticut, 2010

Back in 1999 this guy was concerned about the number of oil related accidents leading up to Y2K - including several generating plant ones.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Also, in the link below, shows a block being blocked off, and text stating something about a radiation scare.

Not sure if its true or not, but hopefully it isnt. And wasn't it said that terrorist will, and have infiltrated some of the US major power plants?

www.nbcne wyork.com

Aswell as Steam
edit on 27-7-2011 by Oozii because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Thank you for the link!

I tried to find more info,
didn't come up with anything.
I will stay tuned here in case
anyone finds an update.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Also, in the link below, shows a block being blocked off, and text stating something about a radiation scare.

www.nbcne wyork.com

There is nothing at all in the link about radiation!!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Its in the Lockerz.com link.

But after going over the 'tweet' from NYC Aviation, I noticed it was back in 05/24/2011.

So for that I apologize if I happened to worry anyone.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Ah - I see - unfortunately the Lockerz link wasn't in the same post that you metnioned it.

As it turned out teh radiation scare in Astoria was harmless - just a box of low level radiating rocks left by a deceased, and found when is belongings were being packed!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
There shouldn't be radiation at this plant
anyway, its not nuclear.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Some more info:

US Power Gen released a statement Wednesday night: "US Power Generating Company, owner and operator of the Astoria Generating Station (Queens) confirmed that at approximately 7:28 p.m., today, July 27, 2011, the Astoria Generating Station Unit 4 tripped off line due to a tube rupture in the reheat boiler, resulting in window breakage and noticeable shaking of the building. According to John Reese, Senior Vice President for Government Affairs, FDNY was at the scene and there was no fire.

The incident caused no injuries, however one employee was taken for medical evaluation. Astoria Generating Station Unit 4 underwent asbestos abatement in the 1990s when under ConEd ownership. Regardless, precautionary air sampling is being undertaken to confirm no airborne asbestos is present.

abc

Local news at 11 saying pretty much all emergency vehicles have already left the scene.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2011 by Maluhia because: to fix link

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Oozil,

I am not to far from Astoria myself since it is in Queens. There was also a water main that broke as well in the Bronx today. They are saying it should not have happened and are inspecting the break.

www.nbcnewyork.com... ocal/Massive-Water-Main-in-the-Bronx-Affects-Subway-Service-126239428.html?rr=td

I will say, after 9-11 and what I have seen here after living here for over 5 years, the security, especially for buildings such as you are talking about, have very heavy rules and regs. So please, don’t automatically link this to “terrorism” . I believe that word is so over used it now is like saying, happy, sad, mad, angry. Why bring fear mongering into this when we already have enough to worry about?

With my job, this is why it is so hard to get the truth out and listened to. People jumping the gun and causing panic. That is how people die. Panic.

I am not dissing you, I am saying be more responsible with your words and do not create a panic where it is not needed.

Ainge

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

www.nbcne wyork.com

edit on 27-7-2011 by Oozii because: Radiation Leak = Different Date. Removed.

There is no such thing as terrorists.

2nd line

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
There is no such thing as terrorists.

Well thank god for that - I can rest safe and easy 'cos someone on ATS has said they don't exist.

that's good enough for me!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join