It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report of massive earthquake swarm in Canary Islands

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you study EQs and volcanoes this is worth monitoring for obvious reasons:

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Report of massive earthquake swarm in Canary Islands

July 23, 2011 – CANARY ISLANDS – 368 quakes recorded so far….but still some more to be analyzed…northern side of El Hierro suffering the swarm. -Twitpic This is something we will continue to monitor closely. The Canary Islands are believed to have been formed from a magma plume. Attention turned to the islands after a mild seismic swarm occurred in 2004. The region is seismically active and a major eruption of the Cumbre Vieja volcano could pose a potential tsuanami threat to the Eastern U.S. and the English Channel. A 2001 report in the UK Indendent warned:..............................................

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Not so obvious for me...would you care to enlighten those of us who don't study earthquake data? (and since it's kinda required to give an explanation or your opinion of an article/link when posting new threads, I'm sure you wouldn't)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
Uh oh. That could be a precursor to volcanic activity.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

Well, if that happens goodbye east coast of North America. Didn't the entire western side (1 half) slide like 4 to 8 meters before stopping last time?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There has been a lot of discussion of past major Moroccan EQ's and how there is a very real possibility that a extremely powerful quake could occur there in the near future.

It is a naturally very active place, seismically speaking.

Also keep in mind that region is especially sensitive to damage from weaker quakes, I am not sure why but it could have to do with types of sediments and building construction methods.

In 1960 the "Agadir EQ" , was only a 5.7 but created amazing amounts of carnage and destruction.

Another interesting example of this general region, the 2011 Lorca EQ in Spain was only a 5.1 but it also caused quite a bit of damage. Wiki Lorca EQ

So the point is, for this region we do not need a 9.0 to cause a major catastrophe. A 6.0 would be absolutely devastating for the Morocco / Spanish coastal zones.

And it is quite likely that one will occur sometime in the next few decades, the question isn't if it's when.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The Canary Islands can have all of the earthquakes they want. What will get my attention is when those earthquakes become harmonic in nature. Then, we have volcanic activity. As with many things currently threatening our existence, the possibility of a "mega-tsunami" being generated by an eruption-induced landslide at La Palma is a worst-case scenario, but it's a real scenario, and, for that reason, things like this make me sit up and take notice. But, again, be watching for when those tremors turn harmonic....

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This isn't good...
La Palma, or part of it is extrememly unstable, and if it collapses, its expected to cause a mega-tsunami. And I mean anything up to 100m high waves across the whole Atlantic ocean. And, yes, there is evidence across the coast all along the US, Europe and Africa that this has happened before

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

There's one thing missing from that information: the time frame.

368 earthquakes in one day is very worrying, but if that happened during a whole year then it means nothing.

The Spanish Geographic Institute only has a tenth of that (36) recorded today (and bigger than 1.5), but looking at older data we can see that there really is new activity on that area, and apparently it started on July 21st.

List of earthquakes in the Iberian Peninsula and Canarias for the last 10 days

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

This makes me sit up and listen too. I'm in the UK so if something of this magnitude was to happen then I want to be keeping a watchful eye.

Thanks you above poster

Just the link I was looking for.
edit on 23/7/11 by boo1981 because: removed request as above poster supplied a link.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Holy cow ,thanks for the information I will definitely keep my eyes on this.I currently live on an island on the east coast,and evacuating this area will end up being a congested mess with limited roads out(2 bridges off the island).Hopefully nothing will come of it,but if it does happen we are out of here.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There were some good posts on this in a thread related to this Topic a few weeks ago.

I don't want to do a huge copy paste job if anyone wants to copy/paste some of the effects found in the thread.

If this one blows and/or the collapse of the landshelf into the ocean happens.

Lets hope they have fore-warning for the U.S East Coast it could get really wet really fast..!

Mega Tsunami- The Hililna Slump

A volcano named Cumbre Vieja on the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands of North Africa is where geologists suspect the next tsunami could begin. The reason for the concern... In 1949 during a volcanic eruption part of the island slid into the ocean before ending its descent. Should another large eruption of the Cumbre Vieja occur, the western side of the island is likely to collapse into the Atlantic.

Predicting the next eruption isn't a likely happening; geologists cannot say whether or not the next eruption will be the one to make the island shed its western shore. Until then, we have to watch and wait.

500 billion tons of rock creating five thousand trillion, (that's fifteen zeros), joules of kinetic energy, that is transferred and converted to a 600 to a thousand meter tall wave with excessive speeds. Ten minutes and it will have traveled 250 kilometers, all the while powered by the underwater landslide.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d9e97709532.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 23-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Something I forgot to say on my previous post: these small earthquakes are not on La Palma, they are in a different island, El Hierro.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Let's hope that does not happen....scary stuff

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The real question remains is how far can one get in 8 hours? Seriously, can anyone in Boston get anywhere of any considerable distance in 8 hours if everyone is trying to get there? New York? Those are only two of hundreds of cities dotting the Eastern Seaboard.

I would estimate that running could possibly get you further but not far enough; it really sounds like designation points just outside of each city should contain at least 50 (500 perhaps is better) buses ready to transport people out rather than trying to allow the masses to move themselves.

A lot can happen in 8 hours of warning!

Might be time to invest in a hot air balloon, that would get you up there in time to see it all go by!

edit on 7/23/2011 by Greensage because: more buses are needed!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
The real question remains is how far can one get in 8 hours? Seriously, can anyone in Boston get anywhere of any considerable distance in 8 hours if everyone is trying to get there? New York? Those are only two of hundreds of cities dotting the Eastern Seaboard.

I would estimate that running could possibly get you further but not far enough; it really sounds like designation points just outside of each city should contain at least 50 (500 perhaps is better) buses ready to transport people out rather than trying to allow the masses to move themselves.

A lot can happen in 8 hours of warning!

Might be time to invest in a hot air balloon, that would get you up there in time to see it all go by!

edit on 7/23/2011 by Greensage because: more buses are needed!
I know it will take that long to evacuate from our island,but eight hour of running would get me at least 20 miles inland...good idea

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

Most geologists reject this scenario I understand. There might be a tidal wave reaching Florida but it is calculated that the maximum likely height would be 6 metres.

Big enough considering how low lying Florida is, but 1 Km high - no don't think so.

I had a job finding that swarm. Only 1 registered on EMSC! They are bit tiny. Sort of like Yellowstone swarms....
...no it's OK no hot spot, just a volcano or two. That one on EMSC was off the north of Tenerife. I shall have to ask my brother if he has felt anything. He lives on Lanzarote.

Of course the tsunami would get Portugal. Mm let's see there is someone from Portugal here isn't there ArMaP?
edit on 23/7/2011 by PuterMan because: To correct spelling errors even though English IS my first and only language

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Of course the tsunami would get Portugal. Mm let's see there is someone from Portugal here isn't there ArMaP?

Yes.

The city where I live has already seen a tsunami pass by without making any damages, in the great 1755 earthquake. That tsunami destroyed even more the cities on the southern shores of Portugal (almost all of the cities in the Algarve coast) and made some damages as far as Ireland, but there isn't any (that I know of) reference to damages on the other side of the Atlantic.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

1km High from the start of the wave. It would only be 5-30 metres by the time it reached the east coast or 60 metres.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

You should have a read of Dr. GEORGE PARARAS-CARAYANNIS

It is a very long and technical document but basically it debunks the Cumbre Veija theories which were based on flawed models like so many things these days.

Here to save you a very long read:

A collapse of Cumbre Vieja will not generate waves of up to 50 m. in height in Florida and the Caribbean islands, or more than 40 m along the northern coast of Brazil, . Mega tsunami generation from the postulated collapse of Kilauea is equally unrealistic. Waves of up to 30 m for the west coast of North America, and up to 20 m for the southwest Pacific are not possible. Proper modeling of dispersive effects (Mader 2001) - provides much more realistic far-field wave estimates, in the unlikely event of a large-scale, La Palma slope failure. Mader's model of a La Palma slide estimates that the east coast of the U.S. and the Caribbean would receive tsunami waves of less than 3 meters and the European and African coasts would receive waves less than 10 meters high. However, this represents the upper limit. Full Navier-Stokes modeling brings the maximum expected tsunami wave amplitude off the U.S. east coast to about one meter. Even with shoaling effects, a tsunami from a La Palma slide would still be of concern but does not present an unmanageable threat or a significant far field hazard.

edit on 23/7/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Look what happened at Japan how 30 metre waves.

This mans claims are speculative just like many other scientists claims.

So why can't 500 SQUARE KILOMETRES (THATS HUGE) of land cause a huge displacement in the Ocean enough to cause Massive waves similar or greater to that of which happened in Japan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join