It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Renegade LEO's be Punished as Terrorists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

There is no universally agreed, legally binding, criminal law definition of terrorism.[1][2] Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians), and are committed by non-government agencies.

By this description, sans 'non-government agencies', could law enforcement officers who abuse their power,
intimidate the public, and cause a general feeling of public unrest be classified as terrorists?

IMO: Officers who harass and intimidate citizens (create fear) because they personally feel negatively about, and deliberately target, the individual due to said individual's race, age, appearance, etc. (ideological goal), most certainly fit this description.

What do you think?

P.S. I am not against law enforcement. I am simply giving some food for thought.
edit on 7/21/2011 by HardyWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HardyWhite

If the Police Union told LEO's to go bust some heads at a anti-Union protest and they comply for no other reason than to protect the union and send a message, then terrorism may apply. Elsewhere in the world, we have seen the police attack different religions though. I would classify that as terrorism as well.

Other than that, any illegal behaviour by a LEO would be criminal activity. And should be punished as such. I am seeing more internal affairs investigations where I live, where LEO's are turning in LEO's.

Could be self preservation though with all the lay-offs going on.

But getting rid of a corrupt cop is always a good thing and hopeful the lesson will be learned.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
If you apply this to cops then your gonna have to apply it to everybody from kids creating fear on the playground at school to cyberbullies.

Very slippery slope just to get back at cops.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I am a renegade (on my computer) Libra, with Libra rising!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
yes they should!! For civil rights violations, the denial of Constitutional amendments, and for being domestic terrorist, willful destruction of property, murder, premeditated, and invasion of privacy, this is not only for local LEO's but for feeds as well TSA DHS Homeland, FBI, and others that step out side the law , as it was intended not as they see it, for they have rewritten it to suit them, and this too in not lawful. No knock warrants, warrant less search and seizures, wire taps, and entrapment. not all have done this nor will but most have, and they are the ones that make the rest of the LEO's look bad.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Yes they do fit the definition of terrorists but they are not alone. In fact almost every government agency fits that qualification.
Let's list the agencies Government and non who have over the years obtained the power to extort, imprison, intimidate, kidnap your children, brainwash them, invade you home, trespass onto your property, fine, fee and rob you.

LEO,
CHP,
DHS
TSA -Ironic huh.
IRS,
FTB,
ATF,
DEA,
DTSC,
HOA,
DMV
and on
and on
and on

edit on 21-7-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Any illegal act that a cop commits they have punishment for already and they just need to be enforced. No need to muddy the waters with yet another law. Just apply the ones that are there already.

You really want cops to be sent to Gitmo which will fill up then they need to open more of them all over the world?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

no i was thinking tent city in AZ give them some of the heat, for they like giving it, so why not live in it.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I have no problem with that. In fact I believe all prisons should be somewhat harsher like tent city is. Bring back chain gangs and all that stuff.

new topics

top topics

join