It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uranium reserve found in Andhra Pradesh could be world's largest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Uranium reserve found in Andhra Pradesh could be world's largest

indiat oday.intoday.in

The site has the potential to emerge as the largest reserve of the key nuclear fuel in the world.

The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) recently discovered that the upcoming mine in Tumalapalli has close to 49,000 tonne uranium reserve.

India has been procuring uranium from countries like France and Kazakhstan, but does not yet have a long-term supply contract. This new-found reserve of Uranium could be a long term advantage for India.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
India may have the largest Uranium reserve in the world, this could really put them at the top.

But it won't, they will not use this to give energy to the majority of the country and they gave this annoucement right when lady Clinton was there.

I doubt the people will gain anything from this, which is unfortunate.

Also the quality of the Uranium may not be as high as in other places in India.

indiat oday.intoday.in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I dunno.

Don't we already have enough of that stuff?

I vote we shouldn't open the mine.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

How unfortunate, that you are likely correct. One day the world will be able to band together, and use resources efficiently to benefit everyone--but presently they won't even be used to benefit one country.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Great. Another nation with the capability of producing massive amounts of nuclear material.

That's all this world needs. How long before that region of the world goes into flames?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The potential for cheap safe electric power for this corner of the world is unimaginable, the greedy potential for more nuclear weapons is the sad reality.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What kind of waste byproducts will we expect and how will it be dealt with? Will they just dump it?

Here is some food for thought.

In South Texas, uranium is found in the rock lining fresh water aquifers that provide water for drinking and irrigation. During in-situ uranium mining, hundreds of wells are drilled into the aquifer to inject a bicarbonate/oxygen solution to separate uranium from the ore. The mining solution frees the uranium and other metals such as arsenic, molybdenum, and selenium from the aquifer rock. In addition, Radium-226, a significantly more radioactive element than uranium, is also freed in this process.

Txpeer.org

Here is the Radium Wiki, and it explains the basics.

Radium is a decay product of uranium and is therefore found in all uranium-bearing ores.

If mining the uranium could potentially create waste products like this, is it really worth it? What do the local people really think??

Radium is highly radioactive and its decay product, radon gas, is also radioactive. Since radium is chemically similar to calcium, it has the potential to cause great harm by replacing calcium in bones. Exposure to radium can cause cancer and other disorders, because radium and its decay product radon emit alpha particles upon their decay, which kill and mutate cells.

And look at the History:

The dangers of radium were apparent from the start. The first case of so-called "radium-dermatitis" was reported in 1900, only 2 years after the element's discovery. The French physicist Antoine Becquerel carried a small ampoule of radium around in his waistcoat pocket for 6 hours and reported that his skin became ulcerated. Marie Curie also had a similar incident in which she experimented with a tiny sample that she kept in contact with her skin for 10 hours and noted how an ulcer appeared, although not for several days.[15] Handling of radium has also been blamed for Curie's death due to aplastic anemia.

Have we learned anything yet?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Just say NO to nuclear weapons! Just say NO to nuclear power! Remember Fukishima, Chernobyl, Three mile island, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Namaste.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Excellent news, now they can make a new batch of fuel for Fukushima II

And they will not need MOX fuel this time.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Oh no
I just thought of something

Kashmir is one thing, it's India and Pakistan fighting for that area
Andhra Pradesh, where this massive deposit of Uranium was found is full of seperatists.

Seperatists are probably talking about this discovery right now
Currently today there are many seperatists in Andhra Pradesh

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
India may have the largest Uranium reserve in the world, this could really put them at the top.

I'm not interpreting the article that way, I think they're just saying it will be among the world's largest Uranium mines, not reserves:

In fact, there were indications that the total quantity of uranium could go up to 1.5 lakh tonnes, which would make it among the largest uranium mines in the world.

I'm getting the impression that this may be their only mine though, so even though it's a big one, it still cannot supply their total uranium needs (much less allow them to export uranium). This seems to be verified by this comment:

Atomic Energy Commission chairman Srikumar Banerjee said, "Today when we look at our own uranium reserves, this Tumalapalli reserve is giving us a big hope. We will also be importing some amount. We are trying to establish long term contracts. This will provide enough uranium for us."

Basically he's saying that between this mine and what they're already importing, their needs should be covered. But they're not claiming to have found a huge expanse that will allow them to start exporting uranium.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
And the world doesn't need to touch it. Hydrogen fuel and overunity, tesla is all thats needed. A bit of solar, wind, wave, tide, wouldn't hurt.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
I'm getting the impression that this may be their only mine though, so even though it's a big one, it still cannot supply their total uranium needs (much less allow them to export uranium). This seems to be verified by this comment:

It probably won't be the largest you are correct, in the world I mean
But there are more mines in India
See this link and click on the mine links on the left
www.ucil.gov.in...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It doesn't say what grade the uranium is. The uranium here in the Athabasca Basin of Saskatchewan is the largest high grade deposit in the world - thus far. Hmmmmmm, competition. I imagine the rest of the world will be keeping a close eye on this...wouldn't want them to go selling that stuff to any malfeasants.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The people of India don't want it... not after what happened in Japan (and is still getting worse)

Protests against India nuclear plant turn violent

(Reuters) - An angry mob attacked a hospital and torched buses as protests against a proposed nuclear plant in western India turned violent on Tuesday, local media said, a day after an activist was killed in police firing.

www.reuters.com...

edit on 20-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
.wouldn't want them to go selling that stuff to any malfeasants.

uranium ore is not explosive... malfeasants don't have refining plants

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Main stream media has been mostly silent on the situation in Japan... even here at ATS only a few continue to monitor the situation which is getting worse

Because of it Germany is shutting down ALL of theirs

Germany Nuclear Power Plants To Be Entirely Shut Down By 2022
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Germany to abandon nuclear power by 2022 - USATODAY.com
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
On the home front... Fukushima comes home?

Electrical Fire Knocks Out Spent Fuel Cooling Pool at Nebraska Nuclear
planetsave.com...

Nebraska Nuclear Power Plants Missouri River Flood Conditions
cryptome.org...

Sounds like Deja Vu

Nuclear Engineers: “Appalling” and “disturbing” findings at Tennessee nuke plant (VIDEO)
enenews.com...

Tennessee nuke plant: After tornadoes, water in reactor “boiled” low enough to trigger shutdown alarm — Public not told of problems

Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant had far more problems during recent tornadoes than TVA told the public after winds took down power lines and the plant went into automatic shutdown.

ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com... -shutdown-alarm-%E2%80%94-public-not-told-of-problems/

Nuclear plant workers release unknown amount of radioactive tritium into Mississippi River
www.prisonplanet.com...

join