It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A request for the 'ignore' function again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I believe having the option to ignore certain members would help to avoid flaming, trolling and baiting - otherwise people will be more liable to 'bite'.

I know this may have been mentioned before - but I'm all in favour of it.

Anyone else?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
please yes!

GM

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Did they remove it?

I was looking for the ignore button a couple of days ago, was wondering where it was,.

Yes bring it back please tyvm.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Got to agree. Please bring back the ignore feature.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I agree, and when we ignore can it also be set up so the ignored person can not read us?

That would be useful against people who are gunning for you.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It would be awesome to be able to ignore specific threads, as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Flagged!

I'm all for a return of the ignore function. There are probably 3 or 4 cretins on ATS that simply make my blood boil with their nonsense. I am seriously consider abandoning ATS altogether all because of a few rotten apples....apples that could easily be ignored if this option were brought back.

ATS ran smoothly when we had the ignore option...I don't quite understand why they now think the ignore is a bad thing.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I know at least 2 people I'd like to ignore
and 6 people who want to ignore me

Flagged!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneYouFearIsRight

I'm sorry but that seems incredibly cowardly. You don't want an ignored member to be able to read your posts? Its a DISCUSSION forum not a run and cry if people don't agree with me forum.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The ignore feature would be very handy, some peoples posts just aren't worth the time it takes to read them.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think you misunderstood - the idea is to ignore people who are intentionally trying to get you riled up - and I have no doubt there are personal agendas on this forum where an alleged "troll" is stalking another user

so yeah I can agree - blocking a user, and having it go both directions, would help prevent that

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
i think the ignore feature is kind of childish. it hampers debate and the flow of threads. its sole purpose contradicts what ATS is about.

if someone is trolling a thread or being uncivil, alert a mod.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Casting a vote for yes as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

well... I do agree to a point

but is it against T&C to sugarcoat an insult?

My biggest pet peeve are people who start their opinion with an insult but add a question mark - like that makes it ok... then the rest of the post might be on topic but they still slip in the snide comments

Example: "are you so stupid that you don't know how good an ignore feature is? it would prevent harrassment, limit trolling, end arguments that mess up threads - only an idiot couldn't understand"

this example in no way represents me or my opinion of your opinion
I see that person a lot - I want to ignore them - I have no interest in engaging with them or reading their insults anymore - as it is right now - I just close my eyes when I see the avatar

but an ignore feature would help

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

No I understood perfectly. I think that's a very cowardly way to deal with a troll, and that many users would abuse this function. I can see a number of people ignoring others just because they disagree on a certain topic and don't want to take the time to discuss. I see your point but I think contacting a mod when being trolled is more appropriate.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

No I understood perfectly. I think that's a very cowardly way to deal with a troll, and that many users would abuse this function. I can see a number of people ignoring others just because they disagree on a certain topic and don't want to take the time to discuss. I see your point but I think contacting a mod when being trolled is more appropriate.

I hate to say it man but you seem to fit into the description I just gave - while your points are completely valid - how can I take you seriously when you're slipping in there that we're cowards?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You have an ignore feature already.

When someone irritates you or is attempting to bait you or whatever...all you have to do is ignore them! It's really a fascinating concept and it doesn't require any additional programming!

ATS is about discussion and "denying ignorance". If someone cannot be reasoned with, then simply ignore them and they will go away. If they don't, alert a staff member via the "alert" or "complaint" features and we will take care of it.

Intentionally blocking people out because they are irritating you now is a bad idea....they may come back the next day and have valuable things to contribute that you would then miss out on.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
edit on 19-7-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Intentionally blocking people out because they are irritating you now is a bad idea....they may come back the next day and have valuable things to contribute that you would then miss out on.

I have to agree with that 100% ♥

I do already mentally ignore - except sometimes it gets me so .... disturbed... that I have to leave the site altogether - that makes me sad... I just can't ignore them everytime

ah well - worth a shot

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

i know. people slipping in barely-concealed insults is very annoying. the best thing to do is ignore it and respond as if it wasn't there. if they're trolls, they get a kick out of your anger.

in fact, i've had a debate going for the past few days on a thread where that type of response is prevalent. i answered by destroying their arguments politely. now they've stopped responding.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join