It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone 4 survives fall from skydiver's pocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
cnn

So it's easy to see why McKinney, a 37-year-old in Minnesota, would be "just absolutely shocked" when that same phone survived a fall from his pocket -- while he was skydiving from 13,500 feet.

You would think a skydiver would know not to leave a cell phone in their pocket.

Though the phone fell 13,000 feet, landed on top of a building and still managed to work is quite amazing.

I managed to save an ipod that was swished in a fish tank by a then 3 y.o. by sticking it on a bag of that silicone stuff for a few days.

Anyone else have amazing technological survial stories?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sorry but the phone in the picture doesn't count as "survived".

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

AWESOME!!!

I wonder if he had an Otter case on it.

I haven't been so lucky with my iPhones. I have been through 4 screens lol My phone vibrated off a table that was maybe a foot off the ground and the screen cracked. I played the fumble game one time in the elevator and well I lost!

I do have my laptop story My poor Apple...grrr

Now believe it or not it worked perfectly fine minus the screen issues, lack of sound and C key. I used it for over a year before the screen got so bad I had to put it to rest.
Performance wise nothing was affected.

The screen when it was first dropped just had a small line through it but over time the LCD started to bleed out so to speak.

To me this is a testament to Apple and their products! It was DROPPED on tile and still worked!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Edews

just put some duct tape on it

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Well one of the kids lost their Sony-Ericsson K750 some years ago... and last summer I was digging the garden over and there it was, filled with mud and dripping water.. it had sat in the mud through 2 really bad winters and then baked in the summers..

But I took it apart, gentle cleaned all the bits with a cotton bud.. and was amazed when I put it together and connecting it to the charger that everything worked..

Sadly it lasted another week before being lost yet again.. where upon I made myself a promise not to bother buying the kids (teenagers) another blooming phone..

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edews
Sorry but the phone in the picture doesn't count as "survived".

How about you fall 13,000 feet and still turn on

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Actually just a week ago, i dropped my iphone 4 into the pool. I had to get into the pool and dive down and get it. I dried it out for 2 days before trying to turn it on and worked like nothing ever happened.

Battery seems to have doubled life...which is weird....

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Now that would have been good if he left the video on.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A dog turd would still be a dog turd after a fall from that height.
What's the point again?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
A dog turd would still be a dog turd after a fall from that height.
What's the point again?

The point is that its got extremely small transistors and being able to survive an impact from 13,000 feet and still work is pretty amazing...especially since the screen is made of glass, which was never meant to fall from that height.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernutty

yeah except the screen didn't survive
click the link

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Edews

He called it and it rang. I think that is pretty good for a 13k foot fall

Now I would drop mine 2 feet and it wouldnt work. lol

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Its sounds like what people go through with the windshields, lol. Starts off as a nick from a rock and slowly spreads.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndrew

LOL! good point.

Actually, crazy story I forgot. My stbxh rolled the car, which had a sunroof that was open, so when the car rolled, the phone fell out of the console and straight onto the ground, and the car rolled over it the rest of the way. stbxh actually found it by calling it, squished into the ground. Broken screen but still worked.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
WTF!!!!!

First day I get my new IPhone I downloaded all the free Apps that looked cool, after 3 hrs of syncing and downloading I decided to play iBowl. My 2nd bowl and the thing flew out my hands in the wall and was fecked!!!!

Was a total write off after 20 minutes and 5ft.

I call this story as apple propaganda

edit on 19-7-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
WTF!!!!!

First day I get my new IPhone I downloaded all the free Apps that looked cool, after 3 hrs of syncing and downloading I decided to play iBowl. My 2nd bowl and the thing flew out my hands in the wall and was fecked!!!!

Was a total write off after 20 minutes and 5ft.

I call this story as apple propaganda

edit on 19-7-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

Omg Im sorry but I did have a laugh at this.

I know a feel people who killed their iPhones because of iBowl. My friend wanted to play it on my phone and I wouldn't let her. I was terrified she would break it on accident.

Invest in an OTTER case! They are the best and worth the money!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

LOL

Ill invest in an Otter case when someone buys me a new iPhone!!!!
$1500 Oz bucks (about $27 652.84 US) down the fricken drain!!!
Ive learnt my lesson and now use an Something just as good but cheaper (I wont say which model until they pay me for my endorsement)

top topics

join