It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran installing 'speedier', supersonic nuclear centrifuges today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Iran announced Tuesday it is installing new centrifuges with "better quality and speed" to enrich uranium in its nuclear facilities, defying international demands it halt its atomic activities.

"The installation of new centrifuges with better quality and speed is ongoing. We have announced it and the agency (UN atomic watchdog) has full supervision on them," Iranian foreign minister spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast told reporters at his weekly press briefing.

"They are fully aware that Iran's peaceful nuclear activity continues to progress. This is another confirmation that Islamic republic successful stride in its nuclear activities," he added, responding to question of whether Tehran has installed the new generation of centrifuges, which enrich uranium at supersonic speed.

Supersonic speed? Sounds pretty advanced. (atleast to me)

Im not really familiar with supersonically enriching uranium. Is this process "safe"? Do most nuclear reactors use these supersonic enrichers?

Iran has long been producing low or 3.5 percent enriched uranium (LEU) at Natanz, but started producing uranium at the higher level of purity of 20 percent in February 2010, ostensibly to make the fuel for a medical research reactor.

Another question I have about these is, how much more purer, or highly enriched will this new uranium be?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Supersonic speed of a 2 foot dia. cylinder at the edge would be 21,523 RPM presuming that my quick math is correct) turbochargers in cars and motorcycles can spin up to 200,000 RPM. A fan jet can turn 10,000 rpm and an f1 formula car can turn 18000 rpm (firing each cylinder 150 times per second).

Lots of things can exceed mach 1 (about 768 miles per hour) The faster a centrifuge spins the greater the g force it can develop.

We just drop another Stuxnet in the parking lot and they are toast.

new topics

join