It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If/When People Take to the Streets...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Okay, I've been thinking about this for a while.

"What's that?"

Well, let's say the economy collapses/people wake up to the corruption/internet kill switch is flicked (lol)/martial law is declared, whatever may come in these uncertain, fear mongering times, has really got me wondering...

If/When the people take to the streets, do you think they will know where to go?

That is to say, if .gov decides that we've had too many beers and too many hours spent on ATS and decide to turn off the interwebz, will everyone actually go to a place of their local government (city hall, lets say) and demand their rights (I lol again because I know the internet isn't a right, but am using it for an example)?

I don't. I really really don't think people will be smart enough to do that. I think they might use it as an excuse to pick up more beers for when the internet comes back on ("hey, it always comes back on when I call my isp") but I just do not believe that they will do the right thing and get to the places that will give them the attention they seek.

I have an overwhelming feeling that if/when people hit the streets en masse, chaos will rapidly follow.

Maybe those certain individuals out there that are waiting to hit said streets, can help manage the flock of sheep and steer them toward the proper locations for immediate attention. Positive(ish) attention.

I think the last thing this group of angry, unguided mob needs is a negative encounter with .gov. I mean, they actually got off the couch and went outside, they must be pissed off.

What say you?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
As we have seen with the revolutions in the middle east and north africa The internet played a major role at coordinating the protests. I guess you could argue though that phones,text and even radio would become a big role in the america revolution. And in the more smaller communities word of mouth would probabaly get around very quickly. And i think people would go to local meting places like churchs and community centers.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
if they shut off the internet, there would be pandemonium.

Assuming they just kill it....if they kill it in addition to a major disaster, it may not be quite as bad

It might actually be good for some folks
get some sun

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The problem is, I think, that people will not hit the streets all at once. They'll come out one voice at a time while the Government stiffles them as they show themselves. They'll be labled as terrorists, trouble makers and what not. They'll be labled as such and I'm sure the PTB will have a field day lableing them with such actions that the average american will just accept the lie and never do anything about it.

"Did you hear about that guy who stood up to..."
""Yeah, I heard on the news that he was a child molester""

end of story!

I dont think the government will let it get that far. If we try, we'll be arrested (Patriot act), labled, and thrown in a dark hole where no one will find us. It would have to be something REALLY bad to force so many people to stand up at once.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The government would only have to take away facebook to cause mass hysteria lol
edit on 17-7-2011 by VicDiaz89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
As we have seen with the revolutions in the middle east and north africa The internet played a major role at coordinating the protests. I guess you could argue though that phones,text and even radio would become a big role in the america revolution. And in the more smaller communities word of mouth would probabaly get around very quickly. And i think people would go to local meting places like churchs and community centers.

then suddenly, a mock solar storm will knock out a few sats and... no more phones or internet. too easy

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I just see them standing in the street, then moving to retail sectors, instead of .gov sectors. I guess they might meet at churches and such, I don't see why it wouldn't be a logical place for some folks.

Think about the ones that won't be at the churches though. That is the demographic I would be more immediately concerned with. I'm not saying that church people are better or anything, I'm just saying that I can imagine this horde of pissed off folks with no real direction falling to the lowest common denominator...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

I agree with you for the most part but what if internet& phone/radio communication is cut like a "theif in the night" so to speak, with No time to organize, no time to find out where to go, or what government office to go, or where the fellow ats'ers are, etc...play that scenario, what happens then?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Hahaha, I hear that. I'm still peeling though, so I think my only light source will be the glow of my monitor and the occasional lighter flash.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

The internet isn't going anywhere. I'd be more worried about cell phones.

Without communication, you have no leadership. Without leadership, you have no direction.

And radios would be kind of useless, since everything you said would be more easily monitored.

It would be the 'cattle' herding effect, and nothing more. Where one goes, the rest will follow.

Would anyone have a damn clue what they were really fighting for? Probably not.
edit on 7/17/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
The problem is, I think, that people will not hit the streets all at once. They'll come out one voice at a time while the Government stiffles them as they show themselves. They'll be labled as terrorists, trouble makers and what not. They'll be labled as such and I'm sure the PTB will have a field day lableing them with such actions that the average american will just accept the lie and never do anything about it.

"Did you hear about that guy who stood up to..."
""Yeah, I heard on the news that he was a child molester""

end of story!

I dont think the government will let it get that far. If we try, we'll be arrested (Patriot act), labled, and thrown in a dark hole where no one will find us. It would have to be something REALLY bad to force so many people to stand up at once.

I can't imagine the population staying glued to the couch for more than 3 days without news or internet or whatever. I think if anything, it would be small chips taken out of the sculpture that is America. Little whacks, here and there, like they have been doing.

I'm just wondering which falling straw will be the one to break our backs... Eventually, SOMETHING will have to happen. I'm hoping that when it does, and the people do stand up (as they will) they do it right, and demand change and justice from those they elected, rather than spend time picking up a new XBOX ("you know, because the internet is out").

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
.... I wonder if anyone even considers that the majority of the population has only been on the internet - at most - 10 years

its a blip

if they turn it off we'll all sit around in denial, try to find other things to do - maybe make a REAL phone call and send a REAL birthday card - then become nostalgic for it in another 10 years

"hey remember when we had internet? that was cool - whatever happened to that? - oh the government said it was overrun with sex crimes and instigated rioting in other countries, they did what was best for us"

I'm pretty sure the "majority" would lie down and take it

the "minority" would develop their own new and improved ways to connect and communicate

Now that the hypothetical is out of the way - the internet isn't going anywhere - I PROMISE
at least not for me

I don't think people in the USA would ever take up arms against the government - most of them think they can vote their way to change - and as long as they have their nifty little gadgets of distraction - well seriously, what else do they need?

They're free in their own minds.
edit on 17-7-2011 by Forevever because: I am human and I make mistakes too ♥

edit on 17-7-2011 by Forevever because: found another one...

edit on 17-7-2011 by Forevever because: ugh, I give up - if you find a mistake - just be forgiving, thanks!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception

...stuff

Would anyone have a damn clue what they were really fighting for? Probably not.

And this is the problem in and of itself. How would the sheep know where to go and what to do in a short period of time?

Any lull in activity, and the collective IQ drops a few (hundred) points. I think it would be important for anyone that would be preparing themselves for any sort of protest or march or whatever, when whatever is going to happen, happens, for them to be ready to explain what is happening to the sheep, and direct them to the proper venues.

Basically, if you are the dude in your 'hood that knows stuff about the stuff happening, you should be prepared to gather and herd your own flock (neighbors) to the local .gov building and make sure everyone with you is in the right place with the right chant.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

Hmmm i don't think there is a way to "turn off" radio.Theres also cb scanners(i think there called that).Unless the gov bombs the entire country with E.M.Ps while all there equipment is shielded. Then i think they would have us under there thumb. We will just have to wait to be recused by The Wolverines!(red dawn reference)

EDIT: In egypt people were still able to connect to the internet thanks to satellites and google setting up a isp for them. I guess it would be possible for a country,say russia, to want to help the revolution and set up something similar.
edit on 17-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: typo

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Subscriptions for Playboy and Hustler skyrocket back to the levels in the late 80s? BLASPHEMY, I want my free pronz.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by VicDiaz89

No way dude, Facebook is SOOOOO 2010. Get on Google+.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
reply to post by Forevever

Subscriptions for Playboy and Hustler skyrocket back to the levels in the late 80s? BLASPHEMY, I want my free pronz.

Oh -1 for the revolution,what would i need to fight for now?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I'm just wondering which falling straw will be the one to break our backs... Eventually, SOMETHING will have to happen. I'm hoping that when it does, and the people do stand up (as they will) they do it right, and demand change and justice from those they elected, rather than spend time picking up a new XBOX ("you know, because the internet is out").

Starvation... Oh yeah, and when they come to take my guns

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
well u gotta realize its not going to happen every where, i can see it happening in new york, and other heavily populated areas, but some places are so spread out (like where i live) that i highly doubt ppl mobbing down the streets. where i live most ppl will probably keep going about there bsns (unless there bsns is on the internet ofc) until they see other places start to "fight for there rights". then idk what they will do because half the ppl dont even know where they would go, heck i know i dont.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
As the mobs pass by my house they will see me sitting there smiling, some will be curious and stop and ask why I am smiling.

I will tell them, sit down and see.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join