It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who shot intruder is 'real victim'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Man who shot intruder is 'real victim'

www.heraldsun.com.au

IT'S staggering that a man who tried to defend his home from armed intruders is now facing a manslaughter charge, a court has been told.

Kane Robert Cook, 29, is accused of shooting a man he claims broke into his Gold Coast hinterland home in the early hours of yesterday morning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
As Mr Cook faced the Southport Magistrates Court today, defence lawyer Bill Potts said his client was the real victim in the case.

He said Mr Cook had simply been trying to defend "his home, his castle" but had now been lumbered with a manslaughter charge.

"What kind of world is it we live in when a person who defends his own home from invasion can be opposed bail and then charged?" Mr Potts told the court.

This is ridiculous, what else can you expect someone to have done in this situation, just roll into a ball on the floor and wait to die ?

www.heraldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I bet you that IF a Judge did this then they wouldn't be looking at jail time would they?
Everyone should go round to a judges home and remind them that the law serves the people not the criminals.
edit on 13/7/11 by DataWraith because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Only in Australia could such a BS law be real..

If anyone breaks into my house, I'll capture them and torture the filthy scum for weeks, they'd be wishing they got shot. Seriously a gang of intruders is in your house... Wtf else do you do? Let them take all your stuff and wait for the police to get there a few hours later? Or do you go all Steven Seagal on their asses? The houses occupant didn't even go for a kill shot for that matter.. what a load of bs.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

That's just ridiculous why would someone avoid jail because they are a judge, if anything it should be easier for them to be sent to jail, they should know better being in such a position

One of Australia's most senior judges, who was jailed for lying in court over a £35 traffic fine, has demanded a masseuse and a psychologist to help him cope with life behind bars.

Sou rce

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Wow... Sooo I'm guessing if the intruder would have killed HIM, then the intruder would have got off all charges?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
This case will more than likely be dismissed. The judge already sent him own without having to post bail from what I understand so he apparantly didn't see any worthwhile evidence.

After reading the article I can't find anything this guy did wrong, not even sure why the police arrested him.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

The court was told Mr Cook had been out and returned home to find a group of intruders inside his home.

Sorry ?,the intruder would have been charged with murder not manslaughter ?

The court was told police found a Holden Commodore nearby, registered to the Benowa address where the deceased had been staying. Inside the car was a black balaclava, a jewellery box carrying the name Stephanie, a homemade club and amphetamines. When police searched the Benowa home on the Gold Coast, they found a mud map of Mr Cook's house with Mr Cook's name on it, the court was told.

LINK

edit on 13/7/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/7/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: oops

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

He wasn't denied bail.

The magistrate freed him

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

My mistake

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
We've had this problem in south africa for a few years now. To the point that an intruder drowned in the pool, and the man was sued by the state for negligence. And if you shoot, kill him, otherwise he will sue you civilly for loss of income, pain and suffering, etc.

If you shoot someone under any circumstances, including in your own home, you are immediately charged with murder, and taken in for questioning. All guns are confiscated and your life has just gotten worse.

Most (honest) policemen would advise you to:
a) shoot to kill
b) dispose of the body
c) NOT report it to a police station.

It's a slide that the governments are on, where human rights become muddied, and criminals receive more rights that honest citizens.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Sounds similar to what Casey Anthony did.

Wonder if she's ever been to Australia

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
What a load of BS,i reckon he will get off as it was the crims illegal handgun,it sounds like it went off during the struggle,i don't know QLD's self defense laws,In Victoria i cant shoot intruders or even point an empty gun at em,but hey i hear a window break,i get outa bed get safe keys,unlock gunsafe remove a rifle or shotty,unlock ammo box get out ammo,load gun,this all takes a while,the Louisville slugger under the bed is a quicker option,

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Sounds similar to what Casey Anthony did.

No comparison. More like dealing with a rat infestation.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Had the owner shot and killed all of them and buried their corpses/dumped their corpses, he might not have had to go to jail.

What a world huh?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Same thing happens in France, you shoot you go to jail that's why i recommend hiding the bodies somewhere if that ever happen, it's sad but is the only way to protect yourself in 2011: acting like a criminal....Spread the word around.Lawmakers don't have your freedom at heart.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
So this madness has spread outside of the UK?

Damn. At least so far none of you guys have seen your fellow citizens sent to prison for murdering an intruder who had intent to attack when being caught in the act.

new topics

top topics

join