It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Targets Tennessee Because Of Internet Picture Bill :Operation Tennessee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I came across this video that came out on the 4th of July.

Here's the Anonymous video. They pretty much say they're coming for Tennessee because of this bill. They believe this bill violates freedom of speech.

Here's an article that talks about what the bill is about.

Tenn. law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress"

A new Tennessee law makes it a crime to "transmit or display an image" online that is likely to "frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress" to someone who sees it. Violations can get you almost a year in jail time or up to $2500 in fines.

The new legislation adds images to the list of communications that can trigger criminal liability. But for image postings, the "emotionally distressed" individual need not be the intended recipient. Anyone who sees the image is a potential victim. If a court decides you "should have known" that an image you posted would be upsetting to someone who sees it, you could face months in prison and thousands of dollars in fines.

If I understand the bill correctly, you can go to jail if you post a picture online that someone dosent like. Anonymous dosent like this.

My guess is that Anonymous is going to shut down some of their government websites.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

China has the exact same law. To the point where images of skeletons or organs outside of the context of a medical textbook or diagram cannot be imported into the country and are blocked from the Chinese corner of the internet.

So... Way to go, Tennessee. Repression for the children!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I hope Anon gets them good...government pigs

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
wow
sounds like some one snuck a camera into the legislative orgie..
can't have those snaps on line...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
oh no so people in tennessee cant watch 2 girls and a cup or watch a priest crap in a nuns mouth horrible.
but searously i think they are tryen to crack down on cyber crime thats ruining others lives like voyerism and stuff like that where uncespecting people are involved.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
how can the they enforce this law?
2nd

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Believe me, these morons will find a way, and it will probably punish the wrong person.

First, "Don't Say Gay".
Then, "Go to jail for sharing Netflix"
Now this stupidity.

And the republicans are supposed to be about small government.
Yeah, small in the sense they don't want social safety nets to help people.
But when it comes to your private life? Hell yeah, we're legislating the heck out of that!

I apologize sincerely for the stupidity of legislators I did not elect. I voted for the other guys.

As a warning, this is what you get when both houses and the governor are controlled by a single party.
Congratulations, Tennessee! You set us back half a century or more.

edit on 12-7-2011 by tncryptogal because: typo

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
TN has passed or is passing a bunch of stupid laws. They are trying to make all over the counter cold medicine prescription only to "cut down on the meth problem". Precription law

We have also banned offensive bumper stickers. Offensive bumper stickers

This new law about the offensive picture is stupid. Offensive is deemed by personal religion or beliefs. This takes that freedom away and tries to restrict freedom. TN is fast becoming a state not to want to live in.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I don't see any links to the actual bill? I went to your link, and they never name the bill, and I clicked on some of their links, but the documents were removed. What specific bill is it that makes this illegal?

Now, assuming there really is such a bill, then it would be ridiculous and impossible to enforce! The internet is chocked full of images of Jesus, and Angels, and Sex, and car accidents, and politicians xxxshuddersxxx.

Anybody can be offended by anything at any time. It is impossible to predict ahead of time, and therefore every image has potential to offend someone. Even reasonable people can justify being offended. I think those fat little cherubs are a disgusting representation of an angel. I think those ASPCA commercials are ridiculous, and I get tired of explaining to my kids why those animals look so sad. I think the "new looney tunes" on cartoon network are a slap in the face to the real Bugs Bunny and Daffy, and I am disgusted when the kids want to watch them instead of the old version. I think every slanted journalist with a blog is offensive, and I'd like to just hear plain facts once in awhile.

If the law in Tennessee is real, then it means no more internet or television in Tennessee, because everything is offensive to someone.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Woah - that legislation is CRAZY.

I had not heard of that crap - glad Anonymous is making it get some attention. I'd have never known.

Ok, if I am in GA, but I have friends from TN, will TN law then have access to look at MY pictures?
I don't understand this too well but I don't like it.

I really don't like facebook either, but I can't afford NOT to use it. (The best coupons, contests ect that I rely on are all there.)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I think this is the actual bill.
bill

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tnhiker

Thank You!

So here is the existing online version of 39-17-308

39-17-308. Harassment.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally:

(1) Threatens, by telephone, in writing or by electronic communication, including, but not limited to, text messaging, facsimile transmissions, electronic mail or Internet services, to take action known to be unlawful against any person and by this action knowingly annoys or alarms the recipient;

(2) Places one (1) or more telephone calls anonymously, or at an hour or hours known to be inconvenient to the victim, or in an offensively repetitious manner, or without a legitimate purpose of communication, and by this action knowingly annoys or alarms the recipient;

(3) Communicates by telephone to another that a relative or other person has been injured, killed or is ill when the communication is known to be false; or

(4) Communicates with another person by any method described in subdivision (a)(1), without legitimate purpose:

(A) (i) With the malicious intent to frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress; or

(ii) In a manner the defendant knows, or reasonably should know, would frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress to a similarly situated person of reasonable sensibilities; and

(B) As the result of the communication, the person is frightened, intimidated or emotionally distressed.

(b) (1) A person convicted of a criminal offense commits an offense if, while incarcerated, on pre-trial diversion, probation, community correction or parole, the person intentionally communicates in person with the victim of the person's crime if the communication is:

(A) Anonymous or threatening or made in an offensively repetitious manner or at hours known to be inconvenient to the victim;

(B) Made for no legitimate purpose; and

(C) Made knowing that it will alarm or annoy the victim.

(2) If the victim of the person's offense died as the result of the offense, the provisions of this subsection (b) shall apply to the deceased victim's next-of-kin.

(c) A violation of subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor. A violation of subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

And here is how it would look with the changes

39-17-308. Harassment.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally:

(1) Threatens, by telephone, in writing or by electronic communication, including, but not limited to, text messaging, facsimile transmissions, electronic mail or Internet services, to take action known to be unlawful against any person and by this action knowingly annoys or alarms the recipient;

(2) Places one (1) or more telephone calls anonymously, or at an hour or hours known to be inconvenient to the victim, or in an offensively repetitious manner, or without a legitimate purpose of communication, and by this action knowingly annoys or alarms the recipient;

(3) Communicates by telephone to another that a relative or other person has been injured, killed or is ill when the communication is known to be false; or

(4) Communicates with another person or transmits or displays an image in a manner in
which there is a reasonable expectation that the image will be viewed by the victim,
by any method described in subdivision (a)(1), without legitimate purpose:

(A) (i) With the malicious intent to frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress; or

(ii) In a manner the defendant knows, or reasonably should know, would frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress to a similarly situated person of reasonable sensibilities; and

(B) As the result of the communication, the person is frightened, intimidated or emotionally distressed.

(b) (1) A person convicted of a criminal offense commits an offense if, while incarcerated, on pre-trial diversion, probation, community correction or parole, the person intentionally communicates in person with the victim of the person's crime if the communication is:

(A) Anonymous or threatening or made in an offensively repetitious manner or at hours known to be inconvenient to the victim;

(B) Made for no legitimate purpose; and

(C) Made knowing that it will alarm or annoy the victim.

(2) If the victim of the person's offense died as the result of the offense, the provisions of this subsection (b) shall apply to the deceased victim's next-of-kin.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subsection (a) is a Class
A misdemeanor. A violation of subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

(d)
(1) A violation by a minor of subdivision (a)(4) is a delinquent act and
shall be punishable only by up to thirty (30) hours of community service, without
compensation, for charitable or governmental agencies as determined by the
court.

[ ] As used in this section:
( 1) "Electronic communications service" means any transfer of signs,
signals, writing, images, sounds, data, or intelligence of any nature transmitted in
whole or in part by a wire, radio, electromagnetic, photoelectronic or photooptical
system;
(2) "Image" includes, but is not limited to, a visual depiction, video clip or
photograph of another person;
(3) "Log files" mean computer-generated lists that contain various types
of information regarding the activities of a computer, including, but not limited to,
time of access to certain records, processes running on a computer or the usage
of certain computer resources; and
(4) "Social network" means any online community of people who share
interests and activities, or who are interested in exploring the interests and
activities of others, and which provides ways for users to interact.

edit on 12-7-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tnhiker

I think the term in the first line "intentionally" is the key term. It isn't a crime if it is an accident. This is a harassment law, you have to be intentionally targeting your victim, it can't be some unintended 3rd party that suffers the offense.

I don't think this particular revision to the existing law is anything more than an update to keep the laws current with the media that is available.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

If you want to see the other shots the legislature has taken at the 1st Amendment, check here:

TN Legislative Publications

177 new laws came into affect on July 1, 2011. None of them address the nearly 13% unemployment rate in my county. (That's not even the highest county rate). Many, like the one in this thread, find clever ways to limit our freedom of expression/speech.

HB0229 by Dunn SB0049 by Campfield Education, Curriculum - As introduced, prohibits the teaching of or furnishing of materials on human sexuality other than heterosexuality in public school grades K-8. - Amends TCA Title 49, Chapter 6, Part 10.

This was targeted at Westboro and other crazy people, but still violates the letter of the 1st Amendment:

HB1869 Criminal Offenses - As enacted, increases penalty for disorderly conduct within 500 feet of a funeral or memorial service from Class C misdemeanor to Class B misdemeanor. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 3.

58 HB0018 Traffic Safety - As enacted, eliminates a minimum and maximum range of fines for obscene displays on motor vehicles and specifies that the fine is a flat $50.00. - Amends TCA Section 55-8-187.

(We couldn't breastfeed our 13 mo. olds in public until July 2, 2011)

91 SB0083 Children - As enacted, deletes the age limitation in statute permitting mothers to publicly breastfeed only their children who are age 12 months or younger. - Amends TCA Section 39-13-511 and Title 68, Chapter 58

251 HB0301 Education - As enacted, defines cyber-bullying and requires schools to implement policies against cyber-bullying. - Amends TCA Title 49, Chapter 6, Part 10.
Which is a good intention, however it lead to this....

And here's the one causing Anonymous to target my state:

362 HB0300 Criminal Offenses - As enacted, broadens offense of harassment to include certain electronic communication with or about another person or transmission or display of certain images; in certain circumstances, allows law enforcement to access log files, images or communications posted on social network services' Web sites. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 3.

They're also toying with abortion rights but dressing it up in better intentions:

SB0633 Criminal Offenses - As enacted, specifies that when a defendant commits a homicide or assault against a pregnant woman, the woman's fetus, regardless of viability, is also considered a victim of the offense. - Amends TCA Section 39-13-107 and Section 39-13-

edit on 12-7-2011 by tncryptogal because: added something

top topics

join