It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Gone Wild: 10 Signs That Our World May Be Destined To Resemble A Really Bad Science Fiction Movi

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeDontKnow

You sound a little conflicted. You don't mind scientists tampering with the food supply, yet you take the trouble to eat heirloom.

We can't have it both ways.

Oaxaca, Mexico was a site where there were serious attempts made to preserve the integrity of heirloom corn strains. Cross-pollination with GM corn happened anyway.

Playing with our food supply is just plain stupid. There is no backup plan, including the Norwegian seed vault.

If GM food backfires on us, we're screwed. Nature always finds a way. We can't control GM crops now.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012srb

we cant' actually "control" any crops now in terms of cross polinating between feilds, etc.

If any given crop fails it means problems - just ask the Irish - GMO's are no better or worse in this respect than any other monoculture - it is the monoculture itself that is the problem, not the GMO crop (which of course is probably resistant to many of the diseases in the first place)

However something needs to be done to feed the increasing number of people on het planet - so what do you suggest if not GMO???

Are you an advocate of population control instead??

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

1. Ala Sam Kinison, some could move where the food is;

2. Despots could stop stealing it;

3. We could stop putting it in our gas tanks (it's been proven the ethanol process is inefficient);

4. We could stop breeding like rabbits;

5. We could stop eating like pigs;

.....and on and on.....

We have options other than defiling the only food supply we have. If we screw it up, ET is not going to swoop in and save the day. If we screw this up - we're dead.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen

Originally posted by irsuccubus
The one about the pig/human hybrids makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer helps the pig man escape from the hospital, lol.

Poor little glowing mice being sold as novelty items

Well, LOL at least they are probably kept as pets instead of fed to pet snakes.

I don't agree with GMO foods, I think Monsanto should be shut down for eternity, but I don't see a problem with most of the other things talked about in the op.

I think the mice are cute, I think it is AMAZING that scientists are growing human organs. Just recently a man was given a new trachea grown from his own stem cells. Without this he would have died, no he wasn't a smoker, he did have a rare type of cancer.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb

1. Ala Sam Kinison, some could move where the food is;

so you want everyone to move to he US Mid west?

How do the people in the mid-west feel about that? Or the rest of het US for that matter, as a billion immigrants arrive...??

2. Despots could stop stealing it;

Who, and how much, and what do they do with it?

3. We could stop putting it in our gas tanks (it's been proven the ethanol process is inefficient);

How soon are you prepared to give up cars and air travel?

4. We could stop breeding like rabbits;

so you do favour population control - how are you going to enforce this, and how are you goign to "sell" it to China, India, etc?

5. We could stop eating like pigs;

And how are you going to sell this to fat westerners? Or again, are you going to enforce it - if so how?

.....and on and on.....

Indeed - all these things are easy to say - how would you go about doing them?

We have options other than defiling the only food supply we have. If we screw it up, ET is not going to swoop in and save the day. If we screw this up - we're dead.

as with everything else - nd of course "it" isn't goign to kill all of us, nor destroy everything we can eat.

as you imply, "nature" has a way of saying "there's too many of you and not enough variety in your crops"......but that's no reason for humanity to say "Oh..well there's nothing we can do about it so let's jsut all stay as we have always been..."

GMO is the latest version of humanity trying to grow more food - whether it be by cross-breeding, or introducing aluminium resistent genes so that the 40-70% of the earth's arable soil that is under producing can deliver more - both result in monocultures, the risks are entirely predictable, and I see no reason to run about screaming "the sky is falling" just because of what MIGHT happen.

Personally I'm in favour of figuring out a way around what MIGHT happen before it actually does.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This planet can only sustain so much.

The oceans are 80% fished out. Soil is becoming nutrient-poor.

So your answer is to increase productivity by manipulating the genes of our food supply.

Monsanto has already made it nearly impossible for farmers to sustain themselves. They have to buy corn that is so genetically modified that it can't be saved for planting the following year and Monsanto sues farmers who even try.

GM crops have been designed to dovetail with herbicides/pesticides produced by the parent company that produces the seeds.

Do you really feel safe handing over control of the food you eat to corporate monopolies which give you no choice but to eat their frankenfood? We don't know how GM is going to affect the food supply. It takes time for the results to trickle down.

Science isn't always right.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

You sound a little conflicted. You don't mind scientists tampering with the food supply, yet you take the trouble to eat heirloom.

We can't have it both ways.

You are quite right, I am conflicted......I do not like sudden changes in evolution, like when GM crops enter the picture. I believe this may backfire...it's possible there may be some irreversibility at stake. I do hope this will not be the case. Nature's balance is extremely intricate and fragile. This is why I support historic seed-banks, to reverse the possibility of human-made mistakes.
But I do believe we CAN have it both ways, as long as the "old recipe" is not lost. I encourage slow and responsible genetic development.
My favoritism toward "heirloom" varieties is my "action" to ensure they stay alive.
Also...there is a reason many of the heirloom varieties exist...they taste better !!
For example, it bothers me that GM tomatoes "are more productive". Just because they produce more, does not mean they taste better. Food corporations might desire genetically bigger and redder tomatoes in order to sell their goods...but I like smaller, yellower, and tastier tomatoes.

Like it or not, capitalism allows the selling of big, red, tasteless tomatoes. Much of the public does not care one-way-or-another

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I'm all for heirloom, believe me. I hate GM. I applaud anyone who is attempting to preserve history.

In the end, people like you may save our ***es.

The problem I see is that GM cross-pollinates and, thereby, pollutes.
edit on 7/10/2011 by 2012srb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

This planet can only sustain so much.

The oceans are 80% fished out. Soil is becoming nutrient-poor.

So your answer is to increase productivity by manipulating the genes of our food supply.

I don't believe I said anything like that....let me check.....nope....nothing along those lines at all.

I asked what it is you think should be done about hte increasing numbers of people on hte planet. You gave a wide variety of answers - from limiting population growth to stoping growing "food" for fuel and various in between, but you were a little short on explaining how you would expect these to be put into practice.

Monsanto has already made it nearly impossible for farmers to sustain themselves.

Arrant nonsense - farmers all over the world are getting on jsut fine without Monsanto. If it is otehrwise in the USA then that's a problem there, but Europe, for example, won't let at least some GM seeds be sold there at all!

They have to buy corn that is so genetically modified that it can't be saved for planting the following year
and Monsanto sues farmers who even try.

lol - make up yuor mind - which is it - they don't go to seed, or they do and you get sued for using it?

In fact it does seed, and hence the complaints about cross-polination and that Canadian case where it was pretty well proved that the defendants deliberately went out of their way to gather Monsanto seed!

And in that case what they "got sued" for was using it without paying the licence/royalty fees.

At a guess I'd say if you had some of hteir seed & offered to pay to use it they would probably happily take your money!

GM crops have been designed to dovetail with herbicides/pesticides produced by the parent company that produces the seeds.

Among other things, yes that is famously the case with "roundup ready" seeds of various types - which are not universally successful BTW.

And you seem to be blinkered to thinking that Monsanto is hte only GM crop company when that is far from so - eg Rice is the most common crop in het world, and while Monsanto tries to get apporval for it's crops outside hte USA, China has introduced multiple cultivars, including insect resistent rice that means farmers do not have to use pesticides at all - www.gmo-compass.org...

So what would be your problem with GM rice that did NOT need pesticide spray??

Also Monsanto recently announced an aluminium resistant gene - much to the delight/panic of the chemtrail crowd
- it's not all about marketing Roundup!!

Why did they do that?

Because aluminium toxicity is a factor in reducing the yeild of possibly as much as 70% of the world's arable soil - aluminium is present in all soits, but where the soil is acidic or basic Al3+ ions exist reducing productivity - eg see www.plantstress.com...

So making seed that can increaseyeild in that much of the world's croplands would be big business.

Do you really feel safe handing over control of the food you eat to corporate monopolies which give you no choice but to eat their frankenfood?

Nice use of pejorative/emotive language to "poison the well". Would it be any better if it was giant imultinatinoal organisations supplying non-GMO food?

We don't know how GM is going to affect the food supply. It takes time for the results to trickle down.

I think we have a very good idea how GM food is going to affect the food supply, and also us - contrary to a previous statement, gene transfer DID happen with "normal" breeding system, and has had no deleterious effect on the food supply.

In the mean time I'd like to thank you americans for all being guinea pigs on our behalf, with GMO's in pretty much everything you eat - I reckon it's because you are always demanding more for less......but that's just my opinion.

Also apparently it's making you fatter and shorter lived!! www.bbc.co.uk...

Science isn't always right.

But it is proveable and falsifiable - and hence a lot better than ill informed scaremongering.
edit on 10-7-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I'm really sick of the personal attacks on Americans. Our media shows you the worst side of the country and you assume we're all fools.

I have nothing further to say to you.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN

Originally posted by purplemer

Originally posted by gabby2011
Scientists who think that they can play God, have been messing with the nature of things for quite some time, and I think its getting worse. I used to have nightmares about "mad scientist" types...who's quest for knowledge and control , coupled with a disregard for anything sacred , was taking humanity into a very dark abyss.

There has to be a line somewhere in the sand, about what is going to extremes, in the name of science.

comon its no so bad we having been messing with nature for thousands of years and naturalised many things. Pigs are not natural cretins, nor apples, cows etc. So what is wrong with gene splicing... In itself nothing these are tools and it is how these tools are used that is a problem....

Tinkering with genetic is not the same as natural breeding between creatures. We already know that genetically modified crops have been linked to organ disruption in at least 19 different studies. You think GMO creatures will benefit humans. I think not, GMO crop bad enough, getting human milk from cows will be just as bad.

We should look the consequence first before its to late to go back. Unfortunately some people decide to play god or more likely the devil in creating problems before they even know enough about the consequences to solve the problem they unleashed upon humanity, leaving the public holding the consequences.
edit on 9-7-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

i do kind of agree with. I dont think there is anything wrong with gm, i just think we should tread with caution. We need to understand it better before we use it....

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I'm really sick of the personal attacks on Americans. Our media shows you the worst side of the country and you assume we're all fools.

I have a sister married to a really nice guy who I like a lot, who is also an archtypal fat yank - and he says so himself! they have a lovely little girl and live in LA. I also like her parents in law who live in SF, and have visited the US a few times & have no problems with the people at all.

So take your paranoid denial of the truth somewhere else

I have nothing further to say to you.

Of course not - typical truth denier - as soon as you dont' like something you go all ctry-baby and run away

the FACTS are that most US food now contains GMO of some variety, and y'all are eating more and more of it and growing more and more obesse - by all means do something about it, but crying foul ain't going to cut the mustard any more!

edit on 11-7-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join