It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the cops gonna get me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I got a BUI (Boating under the Influence) seven years ago in Florida. They arrested me, I made bail, and the bail bondsman allowed me to pay him myself. Then I blew town.

About three years later, they got me in the airport. Yup, I had to do the perp walk through MIA with people pointing at me and saying,"look, a TERRORIST" It was very embarrassing.

So then I had to appear again on this charge. The PD asked me, "You don't live here anymore, do you?" and I said no, he had me sign some paper and told me I wouldn't have to come back.

Then my Dad got a letter saying I had to appear again for some reason. I didn't.

This all was long ago, my question is, are they still after me? Or does this kind of bs evaporate after a certain time?>
edit on 9-7-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

just do a background check on yourself and see if you have a warrant in Florida

www.youtube.com...

edit on 9-7-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: cause

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How do I do that?

Link please?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Most of the time this stuff hangs onto you. I wouldn't expect it to disappear any time soon. The fact that you missed the last summons to appear means a bench warrant could have been issued. You should get this taken care of with the law enforcement agency in all honesty before it gets worse, or to verify the fact that there is no problem.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here are a couple links that may help:

LINK

Sometime this one helps...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well, I can't find anything on these or as many other websites I can find.

Does this mean I am safe?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have a good tip for you, look

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

No it does not mean you are safe...it means those sites don't have any records on you...but not necessarily that you don't have a warrant.

My advice would be to skip the web searches and call the county and city law enforcement offices in the area and usually they will tell you if you have a warrant (sometimes...not always)...I would be honest about the circumstances as you explain why your asking...you'll find more often than not they are very helpful.

A phone call or two can save you headaches that your causing yourself right now...besides its not like they are going to put a trace on your call and come pick you up...if you have a warrant they will know anyway...and if they don't they usually will be happy to tell you!

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I can tell by your questions that you are not very informed on how the legal process works.

First thing to know is NO ONE but a Judge can complete the process of legal charges. Until you appear before the judge over your case, in person, the charges you face are active. It is up to this judge if he wants to issue a bench warrant or not, if he wishes to track you down or not, the whole case is under his control.

Most times Judges allow the D.A. to make the call on some of the issues involved, but the Judge can over-ride anything and everything.

You will need to appear in person in front of the Judge to get the case closed.

A Bail Bondsman is NOT authorized ,ANYWHERE, to accept fines, fees or anything involving the legal process. The only job the bail bondsman does is issue a appearance bond, this means if you don't appear the bail bondsman forfiets the bond, bondsman normally charge 10% of the bond as a fee. So if you did not appear, in person, the bondsman had to forfiet the bond, so you now owe the bondsman the ENTIRE bond plus intrest. This is your biggest problem. Bondsman never give up and they employee Bounty Hunters to track you down and they can be very hard to deal with. Bounty Hunters usually recieve 50% - 75 % of the lost bond.

So, you most likely have a bench warrant for your arrest, You have a civil problem with a bondsman, and more than likely have bounty hunters looking for you.

You really need to clear this up, because the things like this work is they resurface at the least apporiate time.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I would consult an attorney.

Please be careful soliciting advise on an internet forum.

oh.. Good Luck Too...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Seriously, you need to get this cleared up. Don't just wait for something to happen. Call an attorney, get him to find out what's going on, and work out some kind of deal. You might wind up having to pay some fines, but you need to get this pressure and anxiety off you.

Sometimes it's easier to face something than run from it.
Of course you could hide out for seven years, but who wants to do that? Face the music, and get it over with.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, the fact is I have been "on the lam" for over seven years now, and I'm okay with it. Just wondering what would happen if I went back?

I don't really want to move back to the US, but I would like to be able to visit....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Well, the fact is I have been "on the lam" for over seven years now, and I'm okay with it. Just wondering what would happen if I went back?

I don't really want to move back to the US, but I would like to be able to visit....

you definitely have a warrant in Florida...but that is only an issue if you get pulled over/stopped by police in Florida, not anywhere else

top topics

join