It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab Made Organ Implanted for the first time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Here it is, the era of the bionic man begins.

(CNN) -- For the first time, a patient has received a synthetic windpipe that was created in a lab with the patient's own stem cells and without using human donor tissue, researchers said Thursday

cnn

And it is modeled after the patients windpipe. this is very interesting. They provide a base of polymer material and then the stem cells grow on it to create tissue.

What is next?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I dont like this one bit

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

This is the normal progression from where they grew a human-shaped ear from mouse stem cells and implanted it on the back of the mouse.

Mouse with human ear

I think it is wonderful. Using a persons own stem cells means that organs can be grown for that particular person without worry of rejection, so the person could get a transplant and NOT be required to take the anti-rejection drugs that make one prone to infections.

They are some ways off from growing complete and sophisticated organs like a liver though.

Now here is the scary part that I don't like:

By injecting human embryonic stem cells into the brains of fetal mice inside the womb, scientists in California have created living mice with working human brain cells inside their skulls.

The research offers the first proof that human embryonic stem cells -- vaunted for their potential to turn into every kind of human cell, at least in laboratory dishes -- can become functional human brain cells inside a living animal, reaching out to make connections with surrounding brain cells.

Washington Post
edit on 8-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think this is great news.

The waiting list for donor organs can be years, even decades, long. How many people will have to die needlessly before we get past our apocalyptic fears of stem-cell research?

Way to go medical science, keep up the good work!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TragedyandHope2

What don't you like about it?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
tis great news, no organ rejection risk.
can be made fairly cheaply and quickly.
will save many lives in the long run.
Not a bad thing so please elaborate on why you dislike this.

edit on 8-7-2011 by listerofsmeg because: spelling and additions.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Existing thread here.
Please add further comments to ongoing discussion here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you.

top topics

join