It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Orrin Hatch: The 'Poor' Should Do More To Shrink Debt, Not The Rich"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
See, I keep telling you guys they are anti-human and crazy!

How much more can poor people due when they can’t even find a job.

You see, only a Republican could say such a thing, and get away with it.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Given that there are more poor and middle class, of course they shoulder some of the burden reducing the debt.

Eliminating all social service programs would be a good place to start.

+30 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMisanthrope

How about starting by having you fired from your job, or letting a hurricane blow your house away or make sure they export your job to Mexico and make you go there and work 16 hours a day.

How does that sound?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think the debt should be balanced on the backs of the poor elderly and disabled. It is these peoples fault we are in such a mess and should therefor take the biggest financial burden. Rich people are used to their tax breaks and work a lot harder than the elderly and disabled.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Shoulder the burden? This pisses me off. I guess next time I'm at the pump filling up my beat up 10 year old vehicle with my 4 hungry kids in the back (didn't get the memo on population control) and some guy in his beemer pulls up behind me I will just run right over and give the dude my last 20 bucks to help him out and "shoulder the burden"

There, I feel much better now.

peace

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal

How about starting by having you fired from your job, or letting a hurricane blow your house away or make sure they export your job to Mexico and make you go there and work 16 hours a day.

a) I will not be firing myself any time soon. See thats how things work. I grew tired of working for others, so I started my own business and 8 years later, it was definitely the right decision.

b) People choose to live in hurricane prone areas and do not get the proper insurance. That is their fault and theirs alone. Subsidizing that decision is NOT a function of government.

c) Thank the unions, taxes, and governmental regulations for forcing jobs overseas. Government has no Constitutional obligation to force private businesses to stay in the U.S.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

What he's really saying is, "The poor should be responsible for the stealing that the rich do."

Tax the rich is a fallacy. The state is set up to benefit the rich. Under the current system, the tax money the rich pay is less than the amount they gain from the government (of course; I'm not attacking all the rich here; there are plenty of great people who are also rich).

Saying to tax the rich hurts the poor. Insiders have a benefit from higher taxes. The more taxes they pay, the more they take.

If there is a small business and a large business, higher taxes will benefit the large business (not all large businesses are evil), but, in effect, the small businesses will end up subsidizing the larger business, therefore hurting the small business.

But just because the system is corrupt doesn't mean we shouldn't work to fix it. Taxing the rich won't help; they'll just steal more. Taxing the poor won't help; the rich will steal it.

Taxes hurt non-evil people. The debt can never be paid off under the current system because the money from the Federal Reserve is created out of thin air, but the debt is not created at all. For example, if we were to start off at $0, and the Federal Reserve lent $500,000,000,000,000 at a 1.5% interest rate, the amount of money in circulation will be $500,000,000,000,000, but the additional 1.5% interest was never put into circulation, therefore making the amount of debt greater than the money supply.

The first step is to change the budget so taxes don't so much benefit the insiders. It is impossible to win via higher or lower taxes in the current system.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Big 6 Banks Worth 64% of Nation’s GDP…up from 17% in 1995

JPMorgan Chase alone controls 46% of all bank deposits in the U.S. Here is the approximate asset value of each of the Big 6 Banks:
· JPMorgan Chase--$2 trillion
· Bank of America--$2 trillion
· Citigroup--$2 trillion
· Well Fargo--$1 trillion
· Goldman Sachs--$880 million
· Morgan Stanley--$820 million.

Politicians are controlled by bankers and corporations. They want us to be paid so low that sweat shop can be set up in America to make profit for themselves like how they outsource American jobs to low income country. It isn't the poor peoples fault. It is the banks and corporations fault for our country's debt. They are in control of our government and using it against us. We need to end corporate welfare. Stop bailing out the banks and corporations. The banks have been stealing tax payer money for decades. They have become so big that they are a financial nuclear instrument being used against us as if the sky is falling and the world will end. We need to tax the banks and corporations who are corrupting our government and dismantle their criminal behavior, especially breaking up the to big to fail banks by taxing them down in size. The FED stimulus program to create jobs did not go to the people but to bailing out the banks, which owns the FED. I want to get our tax money back from these criminals.

Just look at all the wars we have been in, they all involve securing natural resources, isn't it obvious who is using who.

edit on 7-7-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

FACEPALM!

Words can not begin to describe the stupidity of the statement.

How bout we get companies like GE to pay taxes instead of getting a 3 billion dollar credit instead.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dalemcfad

He would probably need it for his car payment. Most of folks I know who drive high end cars are loaded with debt.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I guess the poor and ordinary people you hate so much don’t buy whatever you sell. I imagine you went in the Yacht business.

If you do have customers of modest means, like a 70 year old woman on Social security, then I guess you tell here to go to hell.

If not then understand this, that old lady, or anyone buying whatever you sell is important to you as you think you are important to them.

One hand washer the other, pal. You want to live in a society where the vast amount of people are poor and unhappy, then one day you may have to face those unhappy people one way or the other.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMisanthrope

a) I will not be firing myself any time soon. See thats how things work. I grew tired of working for others, so I started my own business and 8 years later, it was definitely the right decision.

b) People choose to live in hurricane prone areas and do not get the proper insurance. That is their fault and theirs alone. Subsidizing that decision is NOT a function of government.

c) Thank the unions, taxes, and governmental regulations for forcing jobs overseas. Government has no Constitutional obligation to force private businesses to stay in the U.S.

that's pretty ignorant of you to say...

a)not everybody can afford to start their own business...it's not like you can just start from nothing and just one day go...hey I guess I'll open a business today...I am self employed...but it's not as easy as the flick of your fingers the way you imply...especially for people in troubled positions

b) as for people living in this disaster prone areas...you can say that anywhere in america can be prone to a disaster...whether it be near tornado valley or not...I mean I live in montana and we seldom see tornado's here but just last year we had one touch down in the middle of town and I bet not everybody had tornado insurance...is that their fault too? do you just think that everybody who lives in these area's should just up and move to other parts of the country when they're already just trying to get by with where they're at...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

How much more can poor people due when they can?’t even find a job.

wow those mean and nasty republicans! How they hate poor people!! ....please.... What a tired, old liberal meme that is. Typical liberal logic...take a biased liberal news source, spin a story into a half-truth, and put it on the internet for the liberal trolls to eat. Its painfully obvious to normal humans that the republican senator is referring to people needing jobs to pay taxes which increases revenue. The democrats have so many people strung out on the entitlements its breaking the system. Get those folks off the entitlement drugs, let small businesses flourish and watch the jobs come and situations improve. Democratic leadership has caused a crisis....and nope im not forgetting boooosh. But he did have democrat controlled house and congress his last 2 years.....ask a democrat what a budget is....,,,,

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

How much more can poor people due when they can’t even find a job.

your so hard left some times, your taking it out of context. 41% of americans dont pay taxes at all. this is what the artical is talking about and knowing its coming from the washington post its going to be slanted to the left to faver the lefts propaganda.

Be smart and think for yourself. Maybe ALL americans should have "skin in the game" and not just the "rich"
edit on 7-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

No one is forced to be poor for the entirety of their lives. Sure blame can be placed on a number of entities, but ever notice the majority of the poor seldom place the blame on themselves?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
your so hard left some times, your taking it out of context. 49% of americans dont pay taxes at all.

Where do you get that from?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by camaro68ss
your so hard left some times, your taking it out of context. 49% of americans dont pay taxes at all.

Where do you get that from?

Im sorry, its 41% of americans dont pay taxes. maybe they should put some skin in the game

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Thank the unions, taxes, and governmental regulations for forcing jobs overseas. Government has no Constitutional obligation to force private businesses to stay in the U.S

This statement is not true.

Look at history and use your common sense. If the government allowed ALL business to go overseas where they could hire workers at 2 dollars an hour the country would literally die!

FYI all countries, including China, Russia, Japan and even in Europe have barriers to protect heir own workers. The US did up until the 80’s.

Read these links by the economic czar of Ronald Reagan:

www.economyincrisis.org...

www.youtube.com...

www.counterpunch.org...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

If you are good at what you do, or feel that you can take a piece of the pie out of your particular niche, starting your own business isn't as near of an impossible task as some make it out to be.

Living in an area PRONE to natural disasters (as in likely to get hit) is vastly different from the once a decade tornado that strikes Montana. Florida, Alabama, Louisiana as exponentially more likely to get hit with hurricanes and floods than Montana is likely to have a tornado outbreak. Think about how many natural disasters strike the gulf coast. People make a conscious choice to rebuild there, and others make a CHOICE to relocate there. Why should their choices be subsidized?
edit on 7-7-2011 by TheMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Well aware of protectionist policies.

Businesses have only one motive: to make profit. If higher profit can be made by moving the factory offshore, it is the smart business decision.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join