It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barter Skills for Help with Access 2007

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I've done many, many databases, but I haven't used Access since Access '97. I have a project for which I will need to make a "Control Panel"-type interface (or whatever it's called), and use the SDK for making an .mde file for the users. I plan to use two separate Excel spreadsheets for the data (well, one holds data records, and the other holds logo-type graphics).

I have the general plan in my head: The user will choose a product from a drop-down (or type in the first 3 or 4 characters and choose from that "sequence" of items in the list); and then the user chooses a "company," which is essentially the company's logo. Upon pressing a "Print" button, a report will open using an Avery label template.

The 12 labels on the sheet will each contain the Product Code, a UPC barcode, a Product Description, and the logo graphic. The user will then choose how many pages of labels to print.

I make my living as the IT Manager at my company, but my original "core competence" is actually page layout, desktop publishing, prepress--that sort of thing. Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.; Quark Xpress; FrameMaker, PageMaker; crappy MS Publisher, PowerPoint, etc., etc., etc. (Just ask; I probably know how to use it.)

So if you want to barter some of your time and Access skills for any of the above--or if you just want to offer your expertise out of the goodness of your heart--please contact me and we'll work it out.

Questions?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Does it have to be in Access?

IMO, Access is a sorry excuse for a database, especially for a business.

I would be interested otherwise.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

No, there's no reason that it has to be Access, except that's what I have at-hand. I'm completely agnostic when it comes to computer software. If you got something better, that suits me just fine. What did you have in mind?

BTW: I do actually agree about Access. POS, and I've had some thorny problems with it in the past. I wouldn't want to put out a solution that suddenly quit working, was impossible to fix or use, or destroyed its creator....
edit on 7/6/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Going by the details given, I would lean towards putting it on an intranet and web base it.

If it were my project, I would use Coldfusion and MySQL.

Mileage may vary depending on the requirements.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Going by the details given, I would lean towards putting it on an intranet and web base it.

If it were my project, I would use Coldfusion and MySQL.

Mileage may vary depending on the requirements.

That's a pretty good idea. I wasn't thinking in those terms, but I could do that.

I think I'll hang on a little longer and see if I get any good bites. Thanks for the tip; I may do it if I don't get a better offer....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

In that case you can also use SQL Express. It's free, but limited to 2GB databases.

top topics

join