It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Building Gods" Documentary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Recently I've been watching one documentary a day (if time allows) and some are pretty good while others are fantastic. The following one titled "Building Gods" was one of the better ones I've seen lately.

Its a doc created by Ken Gumbs and its all about the future of technology and the coming singularity that will eventually (if we do not destroy ourselves) create actual Gods from computers in the next 50-150 years.

The four people doing all the speaking in the doc (Nick Bostrom, Kevin Warwick, Hugo De Garis and Ann Foerst) are pretty well known in their fields and respected as experts and/or geniuses by many.

The entire documentary is pretty interesting to watch and covers what technology is eventually going to become if left to evolve as it is now.

Building Gods was a fun flick to take in and if you dig the theories of Singularity or the Transhuman future, I reccomend you check it out. Of course if that is your cup of tea, I'm willing to bet you have seen it already.

Anyways, I thought I'd share it since I did a search and didn't find it here.

So, here it is- 80 minutes long and waiting for you.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i try to watch a docu a day too

i will defin watch this tonite!!

tnks OP ( i will flag you once wtached!!)..wait..we have unflag now..i'm gonna flag you now

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I am the same - constantly learning knew stuff. Been studying Ray Kurzweil for some time, too - along with everything else.

I'll be watching this - S&F.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
i try to watch a docu a day too

i will defin watch this tonite!!

tnks OP ( i will flag you once wtached!!)..wait..we have unflag now..i'm gonna flag you now

Yknow what they say, a doc a day keeps the doc away...

Wait...is that the saying? Anyways, yeah, I'd say "I hope you enjoy" but with the high profile minds within the doc sharing such interesting ideas and thoughts, its a sure hit for enjoyment.

Unless of course you hate technology or something....then you are better off skipping this and running out to buy a hoody and pair of sun glasses instead.

MM

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Ray Kurzweil you say? Weird, I was just having a discussion on another thread about OCR programs and Ray is a big name in the field of developing such.

Anyways, if you dig ray you will surly dig this doc. Seeing as Nick Bostrom speaks throughout it and he is the co-founder of the World Transhumanism Association (as well as Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute".

Seems this doc is your type of thing.

Being a huge fan of seeing your avatar pop on on ATS, I hope you enjoy the movie.

Have fun.

MM

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
thanks for sharing. seems like a great doc.

""the moment when transistors are as small as atoms, and cannot be shrunk any further—is expected as early as 2015.""

Research reveals vital insight into spintronics...
www.physorg.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter

""the moment when transistors are as small as atoms, and cannot be shrunk any further—is expected as early as 2015.""

Research reveals vital insight into spintronics...
www.physorg.com...

Exactly! For those of us able to live say another 20-40 years, we are surly in store for some truly amazing leaps in technology. Moore's law makes promises that are sure to change the way the human race lives.

If you live another 60 years, you will most probably see Super intelligent machines that will be smarter then millions of human minds together.

Some scientists even go as far to openly say that the first human to live 1000 years is probablly already alive today and at most is age 40 now. Now I dunno if I subscribe to that, but I do know for a fact that things most humans can not even "imagine" will surly become an everyday event in the next decades to come.

For those who follow the subject of transhuminism and the coming singularity of computer science, excitement or intense fear can be the only reactions.

Its a subject I am very passionate about and really hope more people become aware of.

Knowing where we are going (very very soon) is a large part in understanding what many of the things our nation's leaders are doing now...IMHO.

Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoy the doc.

MM

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
topdocumentaryfilms.com...

cheers was just my cupotea. this prob is too if you've not already seen.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I'll check that out asap, thanks for posting it here. I looked for it briefly, and even asked a friend who I thought might of heard of it, so yeah thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Random Fact:

Ray bought my X a little sparkly Zebra, when he was trying to bang her, after meeting him at the foot fetish club she worked at. She mentioned that I was reading The Singularity is near, and he responded "I wrote that book", and gave her his email addy. I encouraged her to keep meeting with him because I wanted to try and get him to do an interview for a documentary I was thinking about doing. Eventually, at his hotel, his desire became apparent, and she insisted she had a boyfriend. He stopped responding to her emails after that. He even sent her his companies vitamins.

I just think that is absolutely hilarious, and as practically nobody knows who he is, I don't get to share that, pretty much ever, so there.

With this post I should be able to u2u, or PM as I think of it... so be warned.

Masky, check your inbox. It's not about a cat in a box or a dog on a walk, but it may be useful information.
edit on 7/7/11 by Infernalis because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/7/11 by Infernalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I've seen a little regarding the topic of singularity. It's crazy to say the least!

Facebook has become aware!
DUNDUN DUN DUN DUNDUN!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It fascinates me how fast technology has advanced!

As a theorist I don't see how a computer can become more intelligent than a human as our brains are extremely complex and have the ability to adapt and grow... We are limited to our imagination!

A computer on the other hand can only process with what it is given in regards to its components and programming, thus is limited to linear human learning.

I have no doubt that computers will be able to calculate 50,100 or even thousands times faster than a human but I think that is the extent of a computerized revolution. (Computers can calculate faster than a human now)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Theoretician

I'm no theorist, but I'm fascinated by the topic too. Your point on the topic is held by many I'm sure. I really don't know, and I just don't have any real learning in the area lol. If Moore's Law holds steady for countless more years, then who knows?

top topics

join