It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand Cannons?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have a good main battle rifle, a 10/22, 2 12 ga shot guns, a .357 magnum, and a 9 mm. I have been thinking about adding a serious heavy pistol.

Desert Eagle

Does anybody have any real experience with these weapons? I like the fact that it can shoot both .44 and .50 cal rounds(by swapping barrels and mags) and the online reviews seem promising. I am hoping to find someone who has actually carried one of these in the field(yes I know personal weapons are verbotten, but who doesn't carry their favorite personal weapon? I carried the same .357 I own today). Anybody have any practical field experience with them?

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Desert Eagle basically just for show - they have slow somewhat clunky actions and they're heavy.
But they look so good! You can get a multi-caliber setup from several manufacturers, but realistically, how useful is a .50 handgun in a SHTF scenario? Stick with a quality weapon actually in use outside the movie industry, like an HK or STI - try a 1911 long slide if size is the main criterion - or the new Taurus 7-shot 3" mag. .410/45LC in a revolver.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
lol I thought you were talking about these hand cannons

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'm not very familiar with those Desert Eagles and have never had the desire to own one or even fire one.

Hand cannons are mostly for show in my opinion unless you are a serious handgun hunter using a S&W 500 or 460. Sure, they are fun to shoot for the first 12 rounds but wow. The last hand cannon I shot was a Raging Bull in .454 casull and the novelty wore off after I killed the first 6 rotten pumpkins.

All in all, it all goes back to personal preference anyway. If you like it and can afford it buy it and shoot it once in a while. If at all possible I prefer to try before I buy anything new. My local range/shop rents a wide variety of weapons to take on a test drive.

Have fun!!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Get a pistol like this! Anyone say RIDICULOUS!!!?

www.youtube.com...

Sorry , when you say hand cannon, this , not the eagle, is the first that comes to mind

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I was going to shoot a Taurus 4 shot .357 about 10 years ago. The instructor advised against it. He said he shot it twice and almost broke his wrist (big guy too). It was made as a backup weapon for the LAPD. Weighed a TON, so it was not issued. I could not imagine strapping that thing to my ankle

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I have owned a .50 AE Deagle in Titanium Gold finish. Was very beautiful and struck awe in everyone at the range.

However, it lifted 6" when fired and shot a flame out 2x's as long. Follow up shots were not quick, at least on target and it weighed a considerable amount. It was not comfortable to shoot. If you pull that out in a shtf scene, a zombie will cap your as*. Emphasis on the period after that last comment.

Sold it and picked up a gen 4 glock 22 and banked the rest of the cash.

Good display piece, crap carry weapon.
edit on 5-7-2011 by ArcAngel because: Spelling

edit on 5-7-2011 by ArcAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Check these out.

Cosmic...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Well if it's anything similar described here your Instructor was right

If U want a real handcannon take a Taurus The Judge

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Edit: Double post.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Grey Magic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

it is ok for show and showing how much money you have to spend s&w or mag research make a fine 44 auto mag now if your gong to be using 50 and 44 go for the DE if just one 50 or 44 not going to carry to ammo types then S&W 50 if you can handle it.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Yeah, that's it. I kick myself sometimes for not shooting it, but then again a cast on my arm wasn't worth it. Shot a Mac-10 that day though. Good times!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I will pass in the desert eagle then.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was at my AGC pistol range, about 8 years ago, when a guy fired a 50 Desert Eagle that broke apart in his hands. He was not injured after the blow-up.

I own a 454 Casull, Ruger Super Redhawk. It's a hand howitzer, that can bring down any species on our planet.

It's about the most I can handle- pistol wise.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

got to ask was he using factory loads or home loads? never head of this happening not on factory loads , have heard of it using "hot loads"

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
No go, on the Desert Eagle.

I know a big guy who owned one. He said he didn't shoot it much, because after it would hurt too much. I carry a .45 personally. That is plenty big enough to get the point across and still have an effective capacity.

Glock 30 subcompact 45 caliber, 10 in the mag, and it fits full size as well for extra capacity. I carry a few extra magazines with either home defense rounds, or ball if its 25 meters or more. We have an indoor range here for pistols with 25 meter lanes. Its really fun and if you start out at the normal 10 meter and less confrontation range, you can learn your new pistol and shoot competitively.

It is really important to not follow the herd and decide for ones self what works for you.

Try out a variety of firearms, shoot them on the range if you can and see how the weapon handles. After that will you know for yourself.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Erno86

got to ask was he using factory loads or home loads? never head of this happening not on factory loads , have heard of it using "hot loads"

I'm sorry, I did not ask the fellow, what kind of loads he was using. I did not get a good look at the damage to the Eagle.
But I did overhear the RSO, saying to the Desert Eagle shooter: " You're lucky, that you did not get hurt."

My 454 Super Redhawk, can also handle any loads in 45 Colt, but you have to watch out for chamber residue lead build-up in lead loads.

I love to shoot my 454 Casull Super Redhawk, [Padded gloves, is almost a must,] but mostly only in 20 round sessions at the range. It's a nice feeling, to know that you own a pistol, that is capable of putting down anything on this planet; including the Big Five.
edit on 6-7-2011 by Erno86 because: added a few words

edit on 6-7-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

edit on 6-7-2011 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Years back, I was at an indoor range that had one for a rental, and they sold rounds by the piece for that weapon.
I rented it and bought six rounds, just wanting to try it.
In low light setting, the flash blinded me in my right eye, and the "percussion" from the blast actually hurt the bridge of my nose.

I shot three of my six rounds, and handed the gun in, with the remaining three rounds.
I doubt you'll ever see one in my collection.

ETA: That was the .50 caliber
edit on 6-7-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Now im not slamming larger caliber handgund but a small cal is my preferance. A M1911 .45 is a good weapon. Not a hand cannon but you can get fast, accurate fire down range in a hella a hurry. Like i said b 4 its jus my preferance.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

i have only fired a DE in .357MAG , and thought it was utter garbage , the handling characteristics / ergonomics were appalling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join