It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hindu Temple Yields Treasure Worth $10,400,000,000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Oh wouldn't it be lovely.

Still waiting for some pictures to come out.

au.news.yahoo.com...

Treasure Worth 'Billions' Found In Indian Temple

A treasure trove of gold and silver jewellery, coins and precious stones said to be worth billions of dollars has been found inside secret chambers in a Hindu temple in southern India, officials said.

The valuables have an estimated preliminary worth of over 500 billion rupees ($10.4 billion), Kerala chief secretary K Jayakumar said, catapulting the temple into the league of India's richest temples.

The thousands of necklaces, coins and precious stones have been kept in at least five underground vaults at the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple which is renowned for its intricate sculptures.

"We are yet to open one more secret chamber which has not been opened for nearly 140 years," Mr Jayakumar said.

He says the actual value of the treasure haul can be ascertained only after it is examined by the archaeological department.

The temple, dedicated to Hindu lord Vishnu, was built hundreds of years ago by the king of Travancore and donations by devotees have been kept in the temple's vaults since.

A necklace found on Thursday was six metres long.

Thousands of gold coins have also been found.

Since India achieved independence from Britain in 1947, a trust managed by descendants of the Travancore royal family has controlled the temple.

But India's Supreme Court recently ordered that the temple be managed by the state to ensure the security of valuables at the shrine.

Until now, the Thirupathy temple in southern Andhra Pradesh state was believed to be India's richest temple with offerings from devotees worth 320 billion rupees.

The revelation about the huge riches in the Padmanabhaswamy temple has forced police to sharply step install security cameras and alarms.

Kerala director general of police Jacob Punnoose says there are plans to set up a commando force for security.

edit on 2-7-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

This is simply amazing...

I wonder what else they will discover in the new secret chamber

The thousands of necklaces, coins and precious stones have been kept in at least five underground vaults at the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple which is renowned for its intricate sculptures.

"We are yet to open one more secret chamber which has not been opened for nearly 140 years," Mr Jayakumar said.

edit on 2-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

They should have kept ti secret now the globalists bankers will be schemeing up ways to get their hands on it. Next thing we will hear is that Nato attacks India for humanitarian reasons.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

That was quick.

I like your wit.

I thought something along the same lines but thought I had better not put in in the opening part of the thread to detract from the story.
edit on 2-7-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I have always strongly believed there is far more in our ancient past which has never been found than ever has been dug up and properly recorded, by far. Good for them on locating something like this that has stood the test of time without having been violated. Such a rare thing.......I hope with more effort into peacefully exploring our planet more carefully (Not as a side effect of combat patrols and recon operations *sigh*) we'll find many more things like this. Modern technology can do such wonders when it's directed n a constructive way.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It could definitely help with the entire deficit that we are currently going through lol. But other than that, wow, it is simply amazing. =D If we found this 2011 in India, who knows what intricate treasures are hidden in other countries. Kudos!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Indiana Jones would approve!

What an amazing find. Makes me wonder why a religion touted for it's lack of materialism would hord so many jewels.

link   
I believe the Hindu tradition includes offering valuable as a means to relieve one of bad karma.

A great scam.

I also recall that the western religions used this for a period of time before the reformation.

link   
What a find.

Sad part is that most of this treasure will probably disappear.

Can't wait to see some pics.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Too true.

I hope that this treasure can be used to help inprove the way of line for India's poor. Even if only in the way of food.

If invested correctly it could feed the poor indefinately.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

DOn't most religion still try to get an offering or tytheout of the devotees/parishoners/congregation/followers. Not sure about eastern religions but western usually set it 10%.

I have known of one situation where the church kept screwing the money out of one old lady by telling her, that late husband was still in purgatory & need to buy his way out. This went on until the day she died. (Old neghbour of mine)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Looks like India is our next country to invade.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Now it's a case of how long it will take for the US to lay claim to it.

Boots on he ground for whatever reason will be the call but if this is even attempted, the US will finally have met their match.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I sure hope it's a flying machine!

I am so curious about that last chamber. I can't wait.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
They better watch out....

Before they know it the vault will be replaced with Tungsten forgery's....

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by premierepastimes

Yes if they found one of the vimanas (ancient Hindu flying machine) would they even tell us.

Would Hindus want to tell us to rub western noses in the fact that ancient Hindu stories are correct.

Suppress it to study it & improve India's military.

Would that sort of thing even cause a covert operation from the west to take the object or destroy it then follow up with so bogus accidental explosion.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
here's a video that seems to show some of the treasure.

It's in Hindi.

josh18.in.com...

wish I had a couple those gold bars.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Firstly thank you for video link.

Looks like quite a score.

Does anyone know if the temple roof has been done in gold leaf or is that just the colour of the stone.

Found this about one of the main idols in the temple

en.wikipedia.org...

A unique feature that came to light recently is the fact that Lord Padmanabha's idol is entirely cast in gold except for the face and chest. Katu sarkara yogam was used to ward off invasion of the temple by the Muslim rulers. The crown of the Lord sporting kundalams in the ears, the huge salagrama mala adorning the chest and the finely chiseled poonal are in gold. The various ornaments covering the chest and the right hand sporting a huge kankanam shielding Lord Siva, the left hand holding a Kamalam are in gold. The stalk of the kamalam rising out of the nabhi is also in splendid gold. The entire length of the Lord's legs is again cast in gold.

Note sure of idols dimensions.

Also

Apart from the usual rice offering various other items are offered including Retna Payasam or offering of Payasam in a Gem studded Golden Vessel,

But the most important Nivedyam in this Temple is the Uppu Manga (unripe mango soaked in brine water) which is offered in a gold covered chiratta or coconut shell. This coconut shell is more than 1200 years old. The Great Sage Vilwamangalathu Divakara Acharyar offered an unripe mango in this very same coconut shell and it is still prserved with thick layers of pure gold as an outer covering.

edit on 3-7-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Well I'm hoping for some REAL old gold or silver artifacts from like a bazillion years BC

That would be cool.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I doubt the video posted above shows any of the treasure just discovered....photographing and videotaping is forbidden in the vaults although I have just read that the Govt are trying to get that overturned in this case.
$20 billion would go a long way to helping so very many of Indias people. But whats the bet it will be held somewhere to be gawked at and admired, all the while a little girl waits.
For her next meal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join