It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the wealthy ATS members out there. SHTF vehicles?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I loved Top Gear putting C4 under a hummer (totally destroyed) then under the maurader.

The C4 blew a hole in the ground, and only blew out the mauraders tire - it still drove away though!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have an 06 nissan Xterra.6spd manual tranny 4x4. I have a few upgrades including:
-On board Air compressors.
-110w outlet w/3000w amp
1.5"lift.
All terrain tires including the spare.

I do a little bit of offraoding so I can tell you what tpically breaks on most OR vehicles:

Front and rear drive shafts, specifically the u-joints. Not hard to replace, but I have bought used ones out of junk yard and carry the spare ujoints just in case I have to field service.

Wheel bearings go out on trails as well. Most vehicles will use the same wheel bearing for all 4 points. I carry two extras.

I carry a highlift jack for all jacking as well as winching needs that I may come across. this is strapped to my roof rack along with a good shovel.

I have fully loaded my rig for 2 week excursion in WY and AZ, pretty much living off of the grid and what I could fit in my truck.

The one thing that you figure out on trips like that is what you really need and what you dont need. I think it would be safe for me to say that I have cut down on about 40% of the first trip over the last 4 trips. I have probably got better at organizing and have just weeded out the "kitchen sink" type of things.

I should write a thread about a Vehicular TSHTF check list and maybe take some picks of my gear...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by ConspiraCity

For the not to wealthy, a 4x4 diesel can be converted quite easily to run on bio fuel. Do you think that people will be looting the deep fat fryers of restaurants? Highly unlikely…well, until now that I’ve said it. I'm sure others have thought of it as well.

Pre 1972 vehicles have been shown to survive an EMP due to the lack of computerized components. Also, you must realize that once someone sees you driving when no one else is will make you a target.

Just remember that commonality is what you are looking for. If you have something exotic, it’ll be a real bitch to repair.

Older F150's
Chevy C10's
Dodge's
Internationals Scouts
CJ's

Many common parts. You have to be able to keep running with what ya have.

I have not seen a SCOUT in a decade and it was in bad shape, but they were a great truck back in the day.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Time to get crackin' Please add a couple of mini guns to a Dakar Rally truck. I've always been impressed by these.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

nope, just a fun topic that I enjoy thinking about. might as well kill two birds with one stone

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Ultimate SHTF Vehicle:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ecff6df5a6a2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Unimog's are a great choice. so are armored dogs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bfbcf5dd1dfc.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7171203e58c3.jpg[/atsimg]

eh, you cant see the whole pic, but its a glimpse lol

this is what I have for now, not bulletproof but will out perform any other 4x4 out there on gnarly terrain.
Then I always have my sport bike if i need to get out FAST! (doesnt do too well on dirt tho
)

edit on 1-7-2011 by ConspiraCity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I love it but I would still take my 2000 rover with 2" lift any day. All I need is a high power winch. If the end comes I will be doing it in style.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Despite its sedate image, this Rolls is capable of acceleration and sustained speeds that will allow it to outrun the most sinister-looking muscle car out there. Remeber, these same folks make jet engines. Good ones. And in the unlikely event that the ultra-reinforced, special tires are damaged in some way, it can run at top speeds for staggering distances on the rims alone, without any damage.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7bff4aabb3a.jpg[/atsimg]

[The] fully armored Rolls-Royce Phantom [is] able to withstand everything from a direct assault with an AK-47 to a poison gas attack.Engineered to the highest international protection rating, the armored Phantom is virtually indistinguishable from the standard version to lure attackers into a false sense of security.

The car features high-tech fiber composites and special steel plating to provide protection for the bodywork, with bulletproof glass for all windows and its own oxygen supply in the trunk in case of a gas attack. The ultra-luxe car's aluminum spaceframe chassis and suspension have been strengthened and the 453 hp powertrain remains unchanged, while nothing has been sacrificed in the way of luxury, refinement and comfort.

More at source:
www.luxist.com...

A few general specs for the Rolls Royce Phantom class in general:

It has a 6.75 L, 48-valve, V12 engine that produces 453 hp (338 kW) and 531 ft·lbf (720 N·m) of torque...the Phantom can accelerate to 100 km/h (60 mph) in 5.7 s. It has a six-speed automatic transmission and double wishbone suspension.

Source:
limousinegallery.blogspot.com...

Happy motoring!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Rolls knows how to build a car for sure, I give credit where credit is due.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Soo. what will you be using to fuel these beasts once of course the SHTF and all the
refineries are no longer operational and pumping fuel.
You would be running a modified diesel to run on anything right,.
But where will you get that fuel,...once the options run out,...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Soo. what will you be using to fuel these beasts once of course the SHTF and all the
refineries are no longer operational and pumping fuel.
You would be running a modified diesel to run on anything right,.
But where will you get that fuel,...once the options run out,...

once all gas, diesel runs out ill be running on my shoes.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Ive built a serious 4x4,.
it was just for fun,. but reality would quickly set in when the fuel sources run out.
Unless someone does have the ability to obtain endless resources,.of anything
the concept of having a means of transportation or even weaponry is very temporary.
thinking far beyond that will be the key to survival

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Agreed, but I figure if you can beat everyone out of the gate, and every checkpoint along the way, you will be well ahead of the general mass in the long run, think through every aspect. not beginning, middle, or end only. (not saying that's you)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
reply to post by caladonea

nope, just a fun topic that I enjoy thinking about. might as well kill two birds with one stone

I hear and understand you through your words.....and say...ya why not!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
www.hdtusa.com...

Diesel dirt bike with a 400+ mile range.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If the SHTF, in a lot of scenarios, there would be plenty of fuel and it wouldn't "run out" as much as deteriorate over time. All you need is a siphon.

This thread deals with some of the possibilities.

edit on 7/2/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I have pondered this question and vehicle consideration for some time and since I live in Arkansas, my personal solution is as follows. While it may not be for everyone, it is I feel a viable plan that has merit.

A 4x4 pickup truck capable of going off road where other normal vehicles have to stop is why a off road 4x4 truck is desirable. Such a truck loaded with the needed and long term survival essentials could then also transport a small 250 cc motocross bike or even a Kawasaki KLR 650 behind the truck.

When the emergency begins, a preplanned non main route into the mountains will allow for driving beyond where normal vehicles can go and then when the 4x4 can go no further, hide the truck, off load the bike and then by using the bike, transport the supplies further up the mountain and continue to do this until the truck is offloaded.

Hide the truck so as to not draw attention to its empty status and then use the bike to get around quickly where doing so on foot would be timely and difficult and in such a way, you can take yourself, your supplies and go where the majority of Americans will not be equipped to go in an emergency.

Fleeing high into the mountains beyond the range of ATV's, or four wheeled vehicles is what is needed to survive. Once in the high mountains, survival is based on others not being able to get to you by conventional means. This to me is key and vital to survival.

It stands to reason many will flee to the rural areas and flee into the mountains, but most will have to stop their fleeing when their vehicles can no longer traverse the lack of highways and unimproved roads. This is why if one is to truly have a chance of survival, one has to go beyond where most average citizens will stop. This to me is key to real survival.

Becoming the man on the mountain may sound interesting, but only by doing so could one begin to have a viable chance at long term survival in a national state of emergency. Being able to survive for long periods of time will become more possible only when one goes further than the average person can go in normal vehicles and only if one has the necessary tools, weapons and vehicles or toys necessary to survive in the wilderness under trying and dangerous conditions.

While the differences in two stroke vs four stroke motorcycles is an issue of fuel that needs to be pre mixed with oil vs a bike that can run on regular gas. These fuel concerns are to be considered in determining which bike may be best to bring along with a 4x4 truck To better understand the bikes, I have provided links that will show the bikes in operation in conditions that are similar to places where going past where the road ends requires the right vehicles to do so.

Take a look and consider a small off road bike along with that 4x4 and you just might have what I believe is the best mix of vehicles to have during an emergency of the sorts that would require deep and far reaching separation from all the civilians and the masses that did not prepare or those that will have to stop where the road black top ends. This to me is what will separate the survivors from those that will most likely not make it.

Anyway, enjoy the video links and begin to understand that a 4x4 and a small off road bike capable of carrying items like the KLR 650 is to me the ideal mix of mobility and survivability during a major emergency where surviving becomes priority number one.

KLR 650 Link: All about the bike.
www.youtube.com...

KLR 650 in a wooded environment link:
www.youtube.com...

Yamaha YZ250 two stroke motocross bike in a wooded environment link:
www.youtube.com...

Kawasaki KX250 in a wooded and hilly environment:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Since we're just throwing cars into the fray without a real look at using them as a survival vehicle, I would then like to change my choice from an 80's pickup to the Tumbler Batmobile.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

A good choice I have here, it's not bulletproofed or anything like that but does the job:

Diesel will outlast gasoline by a long shot.
Trucks use it and there's storage bunkers for it all over the western world.
Boats, trucks, trains etc.
It also keeps longer too, further still with an additive.
Also get an older vehicle with as little ecu in it as possible. EMP is one thing to be aware of, but also is the fact ECUs can fail and that's a lot trickier to fix on your lonesome etc.
edit on 3-7-2011 by WatchRider because: addition

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join