It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin: Just Passing By

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I've watched some really crazy video's about Comet Elenin on youtube tonight and thought I would finally get around to looking into the matter.

Comet Elenin: Just Passing By

It starts out innocently enough: a small speck against a field of background stars, barely noticeable in the image data. But… it’s a speck that wasn’t there before. Subsequent images confirm its existence – there’s something out there. Something bright, something large, and it’s moving through our solar system very quickly. The faint blur indicates that it’s a comet, an icy visitor from the outermost reaches of the solar system. And it’s headed straight toward Earth.

Exhaustive calculations are run and re-run. Computer simulations are executed. All possibilities are taken into consideration, and yet there’s no alternative to be found; our world will face a close encounter with a comet in mere months’ time. Phone calls are made, a flurry of electronic messages fly between computer terminals across the world, consultations are held with top experts in the field. We are unprepared… what can we do? What does this mean for civilization as we know it? What will this speeding icy bullet from outer space do to our planet?

The answer? Nothing.

It goes on to state what a comet is and how it won't have much of an effect on Earth as it won't get closer than 35 million kilometers.

Why are people so worried about this?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
So you spent hours looking at YouTube videos and you still don't understand why people are worried?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Because we have a gut feeling, a premonition, that something about this isn't right. Something doesn't add up, whether it be bits of info we'd get from amateur astronomers saying it isn't a comet, or the 'coincidences' of it aligning with the Earth and Sun and a major earthquake would occur on the same day, and maybe that's just it. Maybe we don't believe in coincidences. Maybe we want to know the truth, and we'll know for sure come October.. November.. December.

Besides - Nothing to worry about, all things must come to pass.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Why are people so worried about this?

Because they're gullible fools?

Anyway, there's plenty of other threads covering the subject, such as THIS one.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Tough question. Different answers.
1) Because they want a huge change in their lives no matter what the price.
2) Because they refuse to believe "them" no matter what "they" say.
3) Because they seek justification for their preparations (See 1).
4) Because they are dying to say "I told you so!" (see 2).
5) All of the above.
6) None of the above.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think this sums it up well Phage, I also wonder what drives a lot of people to some of the conclusions that they come to, without any fact based evidence.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
So you spent hours looking at YouTube videos and you still don't understand why people are worried?

No, I don't. Clearly these are people who know little about science and can't possibly fathom that NASA and astronomers the world over aren't conspiring to hide this from us.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
7) Because people care about there loved ones and if given a chance to keep them from harm they will oblige.
8) History is notorious for repeating itself.
9) There are some odd coincidences concerning Elenin but we will all have our answer to the great question soon enough.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
This ELEnin business in total bollocks, if you ask me.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by captainKing098

It's a comet. If there is something to worry about it would have to be Apophis. Even then it's not coming very close to Earth.

Name a time in history when the planet was greatly affected by an impact from a comet.
edit on 6/29/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by captainKing098

7) Yes. But it doesn't answer the question about why people are so concerned about Elenin.
8) What history are we talking about? The one with all the other comets that have come and gone without incident? Some much closer?
9) Coincidences aren't odd. They happen all the time.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
10) because human beings thrive on the endorphin rush of debate
11) because it will justify their beliefs in prophecy and/or the bible
12) to elaborate on #8 - Comet Hysteria was all the rage a century ago

I thought this was funny

The ancient Chinese documented the appearance of Halley's Comet as early as 240 B.C.E. People used to believe that Halley's Comet brought about the fall of Jerusalem in 66 A.C.E. and the Huns' invasion of Rome in 373. Halley's Comet was also believed to have caused the death of King Harold II in the Battle of Hastings in 1066; it is even included in the famous Bayeux Tapestry depicting that event. Even when Halley's Comet returned in 1910, "comet hysteria" caused people to go hide in the mountains, buy gas masks and umbrellas -- even take "anti-comet pills" to protect them from the "noxious fumes" emitted by the comet.
Unusual Facts about Comets @ eHow

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It is pure craziness how these end of the world fads take off online.
People are either very gullible or very young.
Each week there seems to be a new fad where people just repeat what some fool has said on Youtube.

I really don't understand any of it!

Do some really believe a brown dwarf is slowly going through our solar system ? lol

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
i still think it stands for

Extinction
Level
Event
Nibiru
Is
Near

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonkusher
i still think it stands for

Extinction
Level
Event
Nibiru
Is
Near

Obviously copied that from some youtube or forum member.
People complain about Sheep on this forum but i think Parrots are worse.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ashtonkusher

Nibiru collision

The idea was first put forward in 1995 by Nancy Lieder, founder of the website ZetaTalk. Lieder describes herself as a contactee with the ability to receive messages from extra-terrestrials from the Zeta Reticuli star system through an implant in her brain. She states that she was chosen to warn mankind that the object would sweep through the inner Solar System in May 2003 (though that date was later abandoned) causing Earth to undergo a pole shift that would destroy most of humanity. The predicted collision has subsequently spread beyond Lieder's website and has been embraced by numerous Internet doomsday groups, most of which link the event to the 2012 phenomenon. Although the name "Nibiru" is derived from the works of late ancient astronaut writer Zecharia Sitchin and his interpretations of Babylonian and Sumerian mythology, Sitchin denied any connection between his work and various claims of a coming apocalypse.

This lady, Nancy Lieder, also just happened to kill her dog in May of 2003 because Nibiru was coming.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
It is strange how people are jumping on the Elenin wagon. I nearly got sucked in myself.. but then I asked myself, what if it was another comet, lets say McNaught or Hale Bopp and they had never been heard of before and they were incoming? Would people jump on the same band Wagon as they have with Elenin at this point in time?

I believe there is something out there which may cause problems at destined dates in time, but i don't think it is Elenin. Wait and see I guess...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lumiere

Doesn't matter if i'm copying or not, its what i think. Im not saying it because it sounds cool. Shame on you if you thought that.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

well im not going to kill any one or anything, just my thoughts on this while ELEnin crap

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ashtonkusher

I thought it stood for

Elenin
Looks
Extremely
Normal.
Isn't
Nibiru

top topics

<<   2 >>