It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: NY Passes Gay Marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Breaking: NY Passes Gay Marriage

talkingpointsmemo.com

The final vote in the New York state Senate was 33-29. Cheers break out in the Senate chamber.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's official. The Democrat controlled State House and Republican controlled State Senate in New York have passed gay marriage. It is fully expected to go to Governor Cuomo where it is to be signed (he is an ardent supporter).

I watched the live feed for the last two hours and listened as the Republican Senators who opposed the 2009 bill explained their vote for the 2011 bill. It contains religious exemptions to protect those who don't wish to marry "the gays".

I would just like to say that tonight is one of the reasons why I am proud to be an American!

talkingpointsmemo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Great news!
Grats to New Yorkers.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Search Button?

This story is on the current topics ribbon at the bottom of your screen!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
Search Button?

This story is on the current topics ribbon at the bottom of your screen!

That was for the religious exemption amendment that was added to the bill. It literally passed about 2-3 minutes ago. There was some initial confusion as to what passed first. It was not the marriage bill that passed first.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
YAY!

I have been following this for days.

Hopefully - it will have a positive affect on California.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Thats Odd?? Both threads talk about the same thing only yours has the word GAY in the title instead of same sex marriage? Did you even read the thread??
edit on 24-6-2011 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Thats Odd?? Both threads talk about the same thing only yours has the word GAY in the title instead of same sex marriage? Did you even read the thread??
edit on 24-6-2011 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

Listen. I watched the vote live and posted it within seconds of it passing. I really don't care why you are being the thread police about it, as the thread you are talking about is in a different forum so I haven't broken any rules by posting it in the BAN forum...which it literally is: breaking news. I am guessing you weren't there watching the live stream when it happened? I was, so I know what I'm talking about.

Like I said, the first vote that happened a few hours ago was for the religious exemption amendment to the bill. The actual vote happened a minute or two before I posted, and I checked the forum to make sure someone else hadn't posted it. I listened to the Senators speak live on both the amendment and the bill so I know what's going on.

Sorry if that irritates you in some way. Not my problem.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
A benchmark for my gay friends! Congrats, silly bitches!!!

Can't wait to see Saturday Night Live's take on this!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I disagree with this "law", not because I am anti gay, not because I believe "marriage" should only be between a man and a woman, nor any religious reasoning. Why then, you ask. Because it is one more level of regulation and ultimately control over the individuals natural rights. Now had the "law" been "The state shall no longer regulate the terms of marriage between individuals" it would have my support.
edit on 24-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
sad, sad indeed, the true essence of the western values and morals are being slowly buried by the gay lobby agenda, it saddens me even more when I think in the childrens who will grow confused living with this people.

what we need is true freedom not licentiousness
and yes, I've no shame about my beliefs

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This doesn't effect me at all.

Except that on the surface, its about effing time people are seen as equal.

So, a victory for evolving civil behavior, thats good. well done.

And finally, anything to infuriate the westboro baptist church gives me a smile.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
As these times will come to pass before the Good Lord comes back i believe. No matter how unfortunate it is.

It is an abomination of two men/women being married under the union God provided for a man and a woman. I mean if it was civil rights marriage with the States giving the marrine , but not Marriage where you declare before God...

You can call me a Homophobe or whatever , be Gay if you want , you have been told and told about it and you made your decision , just dont understand why you want to be Married in God's eyes , why not provoke a CIVIL UNION instead of Marriage?
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by elpistolero1
sad, sad indeed, the true essence of the western values and morals are being slowly buried by the gay lobby agenda, it saddens me even more when I think in the childrens who will grow confused living with this people.

what we need is true freedom not licentiousness
and yes, I've no shame about my beliefs

morals being legislated are ghey...if you require governments to write laws on how to be moral, your government is ghey.

Do you really need a state or federal employee to tell you or yours what you should or shouldn't do? because you are arguing that you do....this law is stating that they don't have that right or responsibility...(yes, a church can still refuse to marry...its now up to the churches individually...the way it should be)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
As these times will come to pass before the Good Lord comes back i believe. No matter how unfortunate it is.

It is an abomination of two men/women being married under the union God provided for a man and a woman.

So is eating shellfish...big deal...your deity is a bit of a whiner.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Wow, ignorant people on a forum where the motto is 'deny ignorance'.

All thanks to religion...gotta love it.

Power to equality and abolish religion. Having slaves? That's ok. Being gay? Hell no.

When's the bill to end religion?

Pred...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

It is an abomination of two men/women being married under the union God provided for a man and a woman. I mean if it was civil rights marriage with the States giving the marrine , but not Marriage where you declare before God...

And what is your opinion of the gay Christian church just around the block from where I live? Or for that atter, the 115 gay friendly churches in AZ as a whole? From Catholic to non-denominational. How did you get a monopoly on what god is?
edit on 25-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I don't think this changes anything in the church, just that states recognized a legal union between a man and man or woman and woman.

Great now they can sue for divorce legal too, welcome to the wonderful world of marriage.

You can call me a Homophobe or whatever , be Gay if you want , you have been told and told about it and you made your decision , just dont understand why you want to be Married in God's eyes , why not provoke a CIVIL UNION instead of Marriage?
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Great, now they get to suffer like the rest.

Again, I don't see the reason for banning gay marriage? "moral" and "family value" reasons just don't make good arguments for keeping it banned. How is gay marriage going to effect the rest of us? Really I'm trying to understand why people care so much? Other states will follow sure enough, they tried to use similar reasons against interracial marriages in the 60's and it didn't stick for long.
edit on 25-6-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I don't think this changes anything in the church,

The churches are private institutions, they can do whatever the hell they want. While we're at it, I'd support a measure to just remove federal responsibility from marriage overall and give it back to the public, make it a private contract. Although some states prefer to continue their morality laws.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join