It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got hacked yesterday!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Well, for the first time of my life I got hacked, fortunately my neighbour is an security expert and tried to help me during this long night of ours.

I have nothing important in the old computer which I am writing this from, but neverthelesss I felt that someone had intruted into my personal space.

And now I'm thinking, what did I say - was something too close to the truth?

Where did I go wrong to earn this hacking?

Have any of you been hacked lately?

My hack occured while I had 2 windows of ATS open . and one window with Google.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Chevalerous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
can you explain what happened.. how do you know you were hacked?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
Well, for the first time of my life I got hacked, fortunately my neighbour is an security expert and tried to help me during this long night of ours.

I have nothing important in the old computer which I am writing this from, but neverthelesss I felt that someone had intruted into my personal space.

You wouldn't have been hacked because of the websites you had open.

Good thing there wasn't any valuable information on it anyway.
edit on 24-6-2011 by TrueInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Indeed, you've given absolutely no information at all, almost a waste of a thread really. What exactly happened? What leads you to believe you were hacked? What did you "security expert" friend actually do and tell you? What is your system configuration? What browser? Os? Hardware? How is your network setup? Wireless router?

See, we need at least some of that information to have anything to discuss.

Anyways, I sincerely hope you don't attribute your "hack" to anything you've said, done, or read on ATS. That, my friend, is not the motivation for a "hack". More than likely, if you were "hacked" at all, you installed the malicious software yourself OR left an open or WEP/WPA1 secured access point on in your network as an entry point for the attacker.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Well, I really don't know what happened - I was here at home quiet drinking some wine whilst browsing ATS - and I had two windows open since I went me the terrific ATS option to see if I had any answers to my posts.

And I had an additional window open with google.

We think so far that the attack didn't come from ATS it self - but more from an ad of some sort.

Well, I normally use a couple of computers here at home, which also are connected to a business office of our family.

So I really don't know where this hack occured - by analysing the logs the things that we have discovered so far is a hack attempt orignating in Russia last night?

So I will repeat, this has nothing to do with the ATS servers, but more likely connected to an ad or pixels from someone's avatar.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
What exactly gave you an indication that you were "hacked"? Did you get a particular notification from a security or antivirus software on your computer? Did you lose control of your computer? What happened?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueInstinct

You wouldn't have been hacked because of the websites you had open.

Good thing there wasn't any valuable information on it anyway.
edit on 24-6-2011 by TrueInstinct because: (no reason given)

Yeah, thankfully there wasn't any loss of valuable information, but ourhardware router went insane and someone had complete access to my computer during 2 hours.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Well, I really don't know what happened - I was here at home quiet drinking some wine whilst browsing ATS - and I had two windows open since I went me the terrific ATS option to see if I had any answers to my posts.

And I had an additional window open with google.

We think so far that the attack didn't come from ATS it self - but more from an ad of some sort.

Well, I normally use a couple of computers here at home, which also are connected to a business office of our family.

So I really don't know where this hack occured - by analysing the logs the things that we have discovered so far is a hack attempt orignating in Russia last night?

So I will repeat, this has nothing to do with the ATS servers, but more likely connected to an ad or pixels from someone's avatar.

So what happened? How did you see your computer being hacked? Was someone controlling your PC from the outside and you watching it, or did someone hack your computer without visible signs, but you could see it in your network monitor or something?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Okey, this is the timeline on things happenend:

First I got all these strange messages from Kaspersky Internet security - and also the the alarm went off from our hardware routers that someone was attacking the network.

By that time, I had my neighbour here trying to chase down the attacking attempts and we got adresses from Russia and some few from China and Germany.

None of the addresses orginated or via from the United States, and I am located in Europe.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
You wasnt hacked, you picked up a trojan/worm whilst surfing the net.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Yeah, this is the most likely scenario. You may have downloaded something by accident which allowed your computer to be used remotely. I'd recommend scanning your computer for viruses/malware and deleting whatever you find.

Also, if you're using Internet Explorer, for the love of God stop using it and get Firefox or Chrome.
edit on 24-6-2011 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
You wasnt hacked, you picked up a trojan/worm whilst surfing the net.

Okey, but why didn't our system alert us when this happened, why did the alarms went off at the same time?

Do you mean it was activated at a certain hour?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I'm not a security expert but I think that when you download a virus or a trojan it typically sits on your computer for a period of time before it actually does anything. Sometimes they are remotely activated after a certain amount of time. Whatever caused the alarms may have already been on your computer for a while.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by trollz

I'm not a security expert but I think that when you download a virus or a trojan it typically sits on your computer for a period of time before it actually does anything. Sometimes they are remotely activated after a certain amount of time. Whatever caused the alarms may have already been on your computer for a while.

Okey I certaily understand what you're sayin here!

But I haven't downloaded anything beyond ordinary certified updates on this computer, and I have also checked with the few other pep's who had daily acceess to this small network.

I think I am to blame rather the the few girls who are working for me - or at least, I wish to think so!

But granted, some trojan or worm is perhaps at work here - hope we can find the intruder though!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I have people trying to get in my servers all the time. A lot come from Chinese universities, I believe randomly hitting industrial sites looking for holes. They try for a couple of hours then move on. Happens mostly on the weekends. I also get a lot of hits from cities eastern Europe such as Prague. I also clean up a lot of virus an Trojan software that sneaks in through browsers. Gets past my corporate virus software. I have only been hacked once and that time it appeared to be a mail relay that was using one of my users computers to send spam, which is the most likely hack that will happen.

I use this site to trace IP addresses

ip-address-lookup-v4.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
I have people trying to get in my servers all the time. A lot come from Chinese universities,

Yeah I had months where most of the IP addresses on my firewall originated from Chinese universities.

I think the Chinese use their Universities for their Cyberwars so their government can claim they had nothing to do with it.

Can't imagine so much students running scripts all day long.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Grey Magic because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Okay listen, lets get a few things straight here. There is no way pixels from somebodies avatar can do anything to your computer. How did you even come up with that? Second, no ads on ATS will give you a virus. Also those IP addresses you got are probably somebodies VPN anyways, so they are pretty much useless. You were not "getting too close to the truth", nobody is trying to attack you for being on ATS. Be conscious of the websites in which you visit whilst browsing GOOGLE. Some of them CAN download malicious software.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indecent
Okay listen, lets get a few things straight here. There is no way pixels from somebodies avatar can do anything to your computer. How did you even come up with that? Second, no ads on ATS will give you a virus. Also those IP addresses you got are probably somebodies VPN anyways, so they are pretty much useless. You were not "getting too close to the truth", nobody is trying to attack you for being on ATS. Be conscious of the websites in which you visit whilst browsing GOOGLE. Some of them CAN download malicious software.

His neighbour should have been able to tell him that while it was happening. Sounds like a trojan, get Linux and install Watchdog and Sniffer... No further issues!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Would you please post the details of you being hacked. What specifically happened? How did you know you were being hacked?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
just lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join