It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if...Our Internet Disappeared

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hey guys & girls. Not sure if this sort of thread has been made yet.

But the attention & spotlight on the whole hacking situations...With this topic, & groups such as Lulzsec & Anon being brought up more & more into MSM, got my mind racing.

What if...Governments in every country declared "Internet warfare" & a complete lock-down on, like, 95% of websites (I know it sounds very unlikely but hey, you never know)?

What if, from this, we saw our Internet Freedom begin to disappear before our very own eyes? With the only websites up & running being MSM sites.

What if, the internet as we know it, completely goes (with only the elite, major companies & upper upper classes having access to it)?

Where would we get our research, information & get our breaking, alternative REAL news?

A complete suppression of connectivity to the Worldwide Web.

What would be the plan of action? Remember you have no more internet...No way of contacting others. Being unable to even do things capable of a plan of action (E.g. override the system & allow internet back on..How can you without t'internet
)

Would there be worldwide protests? And what good would it do anyway, if instead, they chose to not completely shutdown internet altogether...But passed a law to shut off every website, apart from Gvernment-owned ones?
edit on 23-6-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: spelling

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
More people would get fresh air.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
you would set up a ad hoc wireless access point in your house and everyone does the same untill we all make a giant local lan and reboot the internet for emergency use !

www.labnol.org...

thats of course they pull the switch

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It would solve the obesity epidemic.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It's not a matter of if.

It's a matter of when?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Hey, what if as a result the internet could no longer be used to invade your privacy? What if I no longer burned up hours of my life on face book games and above top secret?

Who gives a hoot. Cause if that ever occurs the least of your problems will be the internet. I'd say the biggest would be access to your funding would be a bit more difficult, but, everything else?

Suggestion--try to remember how you got along without it all. Its possible I promise.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would definitely have to google what I'd do if it happened.

wait...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

What if...Our Internet Disappeared

Does SmoKey know how to send smoke signals?

(meant in good spirits of course)

ETA: A HAM Radio is a good investment, www.hamradio.com...
as is a CB radio - Survival Radio
edit on 23-6-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: linksy

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
But seriously, There is far too much profit on the internet to be made that it will never happen.

The uproar and subsequent backlash would cripple far too much offline, IRL, for anyone to consider it.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
you would set up a ad hoc wireless access point in your house and everyone does the same untill we all make a giant local lan and reboot the internet for emergency use !

www.labnol.org...

thats of course they pull the switch

This would be cool. One big LAN family.

But to set-up an ad hoc wireless point...Wouldn't you need the internet (sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm no IT whiz)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
no internet, no information to look up at

link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Haha I know. The intranet is a massive money-spinner, & we all know what TPTB's favourite colour is

That's why it's a "what if" thread

edit on 23-6-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by badw0lf

agreed.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
I would definitely have to google what I'd do if it happened.

wait...

One should never read your posts while sipping a cup of tea (or any beverage for that matter).

You owe me a keyboard.

On the subject of the intraweb.

Libraries. Actually talking to people. Gutenberg invented a thing called the printing press. Kinda like cutting and pasting and making multiple copies.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
It's not a matter of if.

It's a matter of when?

Lol, why are you trying to scare me...

Let's hope you're wrong though, eh?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It would take a mammoth effort to bring down the net in one country let alone all of them.

You would have to shut down all telecommunications companies ....e.g. phone & cable

You would then have to jam any signals going between houses & satellites. Remember some people have their own satellite connections which bypass regular terrestrial systems.

Then you would have to take into account the geek factor.....Hackers would be working around the clock to restore it so they could bitch about totalitarian governments on ATS

All school & university systems would have to be shut down.

At the end of the day it would probably be easier to make a virus that locks up every ones PC....Doing it for Winblows and Mac users would be easy enough but you would need five thousand different flavours of root kits to drop the *nix users off the planet.

Not an easy prospect and limited by time.

I think if the gov/illuminati/NWO/disney corp wanted to control the information, then they would do as they are.....target the high volume websites - FB, Twitter, etc - and play on the mushroom factor.

edit on 23/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
It's not a matter of if.

It's a matter of when?

And I wonder if it has happened before, perhaps with different media.

It is possible we will become so comfortable with our electronic media that we will store all of our culture and our knowledge electronically, then can lose it in a flash. Perhaps in one huge solar flash it would all be destroyed and all that would remain is what was preserved by "old fashioned" means and achievements after that point would be gone.

What a wealth we are finding in Iraq, in the Mesopotamia preserved on those clay tablets before the later civilizations' papyrus turned to dust and vanished. There is a huge gap in our records when the more advanced societies preserved thing to paper that has now crumbled away. We are so fortunate to find record of our past recorded on clay. And we find there a civilization not unlike ours today with schools, libraries, with courts of law, and institutions of commerce.

And if there may have been such a technologically advanced society as our, Atlantis perhaps, then it should not surprise us to find no recods of it, just some ooparts with no documentation to go along with it. We find some signs of civilizations that may have been very advanced, some mention of them by lesser advanced folks that recorded the experience in the "öld way" that had been preserved. But where are traces of those societies? Where is their art and culture? Perhaps it once existed, flourished even, then was just gone in a flash.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

To be quite honest, I do believe if the internet was taken away, vanished, ended with no soon return...

It'd be the start of the Revolution, people would get up off their asses and do something finally, granted we still would have the idiot box to help dole out or numbing of over-tainment.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Yeah, there would be a lot to take into consideration.

Lol, Disney Corps

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You would all have to go seek the sage advice of people over the age of 30 that actually functioned in a world before the internet was around

I will be offering a course on basic skills including.
1 How to get a library card
2. How to talk to people that don't have avatars
3. Things that you can put on desks where your pc used to be
4. How to buy things from shops, it's a bit like ebay but everything is at the buy it now price and local pick up only

top topics

<<   2 >>

join