It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Facebook app can thwart spam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hello Guys and Gals. I found a neat little tool that will help you Facebookers out there to worry less about spam and malware that plagues facebook on a daily basis. It's FREE and it's very easy. Simply install the APP on your facebook and you have something akin to a virus scanner on your facebook. I found the news article to show that it's not bogus. Hope this will help everyone who uses facebook... even though it's going to hell in a handbasket!

Source

Two University of California, Riverside graduate students and a company run by an alumnus of the school have partnered to develop a free Facebook application that detects spam and malware posted on users’ walls and news feeds. Md Sazzadur Rahman and Ting-Kai Huang, both students in computer science, created MyPageKeeper.org to provide real-time protection from viruses and phishing and spam campaigns for the 700 million users of Facebook

For a more direct link to find the actual APP (I had to dig a bit to get what it, so enjoy!)
MyPageKeeper

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
After a recent severe conflict with the Koobface/Win 32 virus I’ve suffered mixed feelings about continuing to use Facebook, but it’s the only easy way I really have to keep in contact with some long distance friends.

Checking out MyPageKeeper seems like something I should do. Thanks for the info. Heard it here first.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Raegen

Never a problem.. Glad to assist!

I'm using it now, but I dare try to test it! lol

I'll give it a few days and see what it's capable of. It only has 3 settings so the ease of use is great.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
"can access data anytime"

please let us know how this software does for you ! I'm curious but iffy .

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
"can access data anytime"

please let us know how this software does for you ! I'm curious but iffy .

Well, it does need to use your data in the same way a virus scanner does. It checks through your data to find the bogus apps and spam that junks up your facebook.

I'll definatly keep everyone posted, though it seems legit as so many sources are taking note, news sources included. I dont think they would want to put themselves in any bad light at this point, but then again.. Harvesting information about anyone and everyone is legal with one click of acceptance, these days.

top topics

join