It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a criminal because im a.......

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior

could you be whinning because of this, do you have the money to pay for all the damage,

/articles.philly.com/2000-06-15/news/25600150_1_bans-s kateboarding-love-park-public-places

you said that your a collage student. most collage students don't have a lot of money. can you afford a granite bench top and pay for the labor to replace it, can you afford a stainless steel hand rail and the labor to replace it.

Wait, there's more. Enough in fact for a total of $895,400 worth of damage to city property largely because of skateboarding.

and this was 10yrs ago, so you know that the price tag has gone up, materials and labor.
hey if you got the bucks to pay for it, go ahead and skate your little heart out.

but wait and i'll find a list of personal injury's and death caused by skateboarding.

i use to skate back in the 70's had a logan earth ski with a set of tractor truck with yo yo's and bones wheels that i swamped out all the time. as a matter of fact i still have it, and i'm 48 we went went to drains and parking lots to skate, then they came out with skate parks. and if you let a bunch of bangers run you off, you and your skate crew aren't worth beep.
edit on 22-6-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well, personally I have no problems with skateboarders and in fact, every now and then when I see a group of skateboarders, all ask them to show me there best trick.

That said though, it's a matter of private property that comes into play.If you get hurt on someones property, the property owner is responsible for all damages.... So naturally, they won't want you skateboarding on their property.

I mean, you wouldn't want to shell out thousands of bucks when you could just as easily not allow a person on your property.

Then there is also the possibility of you breaking their property.... You say that people can go and play sports anywhere they want. That is not true.... If I start playing football on private property I can get kicked off.... If I go into some office building and start up a game of football, I will get in trouble with the police to.

Maybe if the skate parks are so unsafe, consider raising funds for a newer, safer park. Speak to your town hall, see what would need to be done and then make it happen.
edit on 22-6-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ayjay
reply to post by ExCommando

There are indeed some arrogant, rude skaters.

A few years ago, my three-year-old and I were waiting for my wife in Martin Place, Sydney. (For you out-of-towners, Martin Place is a pedestrian mall.) I was sitting on one side of the amphitheatre behind the fountain, watching my three-year-old chase pigeons around the amphitheatre. A trio of teenage schoolboys in uniforms started attempting skateboard jumps down the length of the amphitheatre. One of them came within a hair's breadth of landing on my three-year-old. Another of the boys came up to me and said, "Dude, get your kid out of the way. We want to practise." I said, "Dude, I think you want the private skateboard park."

You were way too friendly to them - back of the hand from me in that situation.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by youthsavior

People can play sports all over the place hassle free

no they cannot, well at least it always depends. have you ever tried playing football in a supermarket? paintballing in the streets? or using a portion of the road to do some bowling using bottles as the skittles? have you tried rockclimbing on a building? archery in a busy street? or using a flight of steps for downhill skiing?

what do you think these people will be told? will they complain they are being unfairly treated?

i think it is just a case of them trying to explain there is a rightful place to do certain things that if done outside their natural enviorment can become a danger to others or a nuisence.

Uhh all of what you said can cause some serious damage. Most the time skating causes no damage. Cars cause more damage then a skate board. You can only skate on hard surfaces witch cannot brake from rubber wheels.

But can you fall off said skate board and break your leg?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
Its just like freedom of speech. You should not be censored because the majority does not like it. Saying that you could damage or hurt some one and charging them for that. Is like charging some one for pre crime.

If you are in trouble for skateboarding on some one elses property, that is not a pre crime. That is just a crime.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Time to pick a new hobby?

Skate boarding is loud and annoying, especially since you guys like to skate around people just trying to walk from point A to point B. We have to constantly worry about whether one of you idiots is going to bail and kick your board at us going 20 mph. Ankle breaker!

I'm glad its banned everywhere. Go to a skate park.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
Time to pick a new hobby?

Skate boarding is loud and annoying, especially since you guys like to skate around people just trying to walk from point A to point B. We have to constantly worry about whether one of you idiots is going to bail and kick your board at us going 20 mph. Ankle breaker!

I'm glad its banned everywhere. Go to a skate park.

edit on 22-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

Couldn't agree more my friend.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

So you're basically saying that some morons with a sense of entitlement actually tried that crap and now we all have to pay for it?! The priorities of our countries are so far out of whack it boggles the mind.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Well if your breaking a law then yes you are a criminal. If your skating in places that the law prohibits you from doing and then complaining about it you also have the mentality that laws shouldn't apply to you.

I'd give you a ticket too for being arrogant

If you don't like the law than start a petition to have it changed but don't expect to break it and not be treated like a criminal. You should know that if your in college.

I would think it to be a minor offense since. Why would you call him a criminal for something that amounts to a speeding ticket?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Who cares if they break their bones trying to enjoy their hobby? That's their business. It's not up to law enforcement to act like Nannies to us all, even though they try to sell the idea to us.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Because he's obviously a cop. It's his job to exaggerate the facts lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

That's not a great example. You see, the designer of Love Park, being the old man that he was, protested against the closure of the park to skateboarders by riding a skateboard, with two assistants, across the park.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Well if your breaking a law then yes you are a criminal. If your skating in places that the law prohibits you from doing and then complaining about it you also have the mentality that laws shouldn't apply to you.

I'd give you a ticket too for being arrogant

If you don't like the law than start a petition to have it changed but don't expect to break it and not be treated like a criminal. You should know that if your in college.

Comments like this are what is so wrong with people. It's always "it;s the law blah blah blah" but the point people seem to miss is in order for a crime to have been committed you need a victim. So who exactly is the victim cause someone is riding a skateboard or doing tricks on a skateboard? If they were running into people, or creating a disturbance that effects the rights of others, then I can understand it. Most of the time you will not find people around, it is just some guys and their skateboards doing their own thing. Sorry, but it is a victimless "crime" of which we have way way too many of anyway! Is it any wonder why the USA has imprisoned more people than any other country on the globe?

As far as a ticket for arrogance... well being arrogant may be annoying, but it is not a crime either.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

i agree with a lot of what you say, i see no problem with it either if it is in a sensible location where no harm can be done. but that is the problem, the location more than anything else. if it is being done on somebody elses property or in or near crowds of people trying to go from A to B, or if they are using objects that prevent the public from using them (benches etc.) that is where the problem occurs IMO.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

i think the point is 895,000 thousand dollars for repair, make a pretty big point.
the op said.

from the op

the damage we do is little, and always fixable. Can't you just make us fix it or something?

he also said

from the op

Some of us are college students,

most of the collage people i've known or know now just do scape by, and don't have money to do pay for fixing any thing.
have you priced a piece of granite. a small piece just 48x30x1 cost at least 250.00 dollars.
now most park benches i've seen are a lot thicker than 1 inch and longer than 48 inches.

and that's not including the labor to repair.

edit on 22-6-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Creating damage creates a whole different scenario. At that point there is a victim, the property owner. So unless there is a victim, there is no crime. Giving out tickets for the sake of giving out tickets is not enforcing the law, it is then about revenue.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If you think skateboarding is bad, I'm a hacker with ANONYMOUS.

*** I'M JUST KIDDING!!!*** I swear.

(I'm not gonna get introuble for that? errr ooo mm...)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

does the property owner have to wait for damage to be done to his/her property at the owners cost before he can tell them to please stop and move on to a more sensible location? what if the property gets damaged when the owner is not looking or paying attention? are people within their rights to ask them to move on if they are preventing somebody from using a facility? can people complain if they have no thought for others and are becoming a danger to others due to the location of the activity?

i do not agree with fines and agree it is just for income, but my point is if skateboarders want to avoid problems then the location is key. the same as it is for any sport. if i played football on a road rather than a field then i would expect problems from road users, because that is what the road was ment to be for and i am in their way preventing them from using it correctly and creating a danger. so if somebody turned up and asked me to move on, i would not be suprised. infact i would look around for a more suitable location rather than complain my freedoms are being trampled on, because i would understand and respect the fact that i am causing problems for other people, and that freedoms apply to everybody and not just me and what i want to do and where i want to do it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Skateboarding, unless "supervised in enclosed areas or monitored" is anti-establishment. It has nothing to do with property, rights or anything else (well, it does to an extent, as in, private property) but the fundamental consensus is it is in opposition to government, just as "being ah hippy" is or "expanding your mind". Government, even at the smallest level, will seek to corral you like a sheep. It is simple as that.
edit on 22-6-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

it applies to any sport, if i spent day after day kicking my ball against your fence and used it as a goal, day after day, and you had to spend a lump sum to repair the damage and replace your whole fence, would you be happy? or would you gladly replace it and let it continue because you are more concerned about my freedoms and totally disregard your own?

you do have a right you know not to have your property damaged by others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join