It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. unveils grim new warning images for cigarette packs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The US has decided to begin printing 'scare tactics' messages on its cigarette packs, similar to Austrailia and Canada. Source: LA Times.
As if exuberant prices dont deter consumers enough, possibly scary messages and gruesom pictures will drive the point home.

Graphic images, including a man blowing smoke from a hole in his neck, are aimed at getting smokers to quit. But experts warn that consumers may grow complacent about them.

With the unveiling of nine graphic images that will adorn every cigarette pack sold in the U.S. starting in fall 2012, government officials and outside experts predict there will be an initial wave of smokers who seek help in quitting. But they caution that regulators will have to refresh — and possibly dial up — their message so that consumers don't grow complacent about the omnipresent warnings.

So let me know what you think, do these gruesome pictures and negative messages really contribute to a reduction in smoking; Or are they merely an inconvenience that current smokers must overcome? I will see If I can find smoking stats from Canada and Australia, to find a correlation.
edit on 21-6-2011 by IntegratedInstigator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IntegratedInstigator

This is one Conspiracy that needs to be studied and debated. Why are the Elite now worried about tobacco when they enjoy the lower population. This makes no sense. They poison our food, water, man made poisons, alcohol on every corner but the tobacco must go.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Buford2

Orrrrr the real TPTB is taking on other suiters tobacco companies, oil...you get the picture
but yes conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracies

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
No.
Rather it will piss me off even more that they are shoving the unattractive images on my cigarette packs, strengthening my purpose of keeping on smoking and doing the total opposite of what the government says. But I live in the UK and they already have the images on some cigarette packs that show a big tumour on the neck. Totally disgusting and uncalled for. Who the hell are they...
edit on 21-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
For those that may have replied in my original thread: I am fairly new at posting here. I tried posting this topic in Breaking News filling out all the boxes I could understand, and the resultant thread turned out to be... less than spectacular. I was expecting a different outcome, and ended up reposting the article in this forum instead, a forum with a more familiar syntax. I appologize for any inconveniences I may have caused anybody.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think this guy may be right:

"They're obnoxious," said Long Beach resident Bob Kohl, a 60-year-old smoker of 43 years who was diagnosed two years ago with emphysema and has quit three times. "They are insulting. They are very specifically condescending, which irritates me. It's nothing I haven't seen before, and it's going to be meaningless to the kids because their attitude is worse than mine."

People tend to have a "won't happen to me" attitude.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

wow I seen a guy smoke like that. he put his cig to his neck hole and smoked that sucker. I asked him how he got the hole ( I didn't know) he said from throat cancer. and the best part he gets his medical free from tax payers as well as SSI. I told him he needs to tape that hole up and smoke from his #.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipperJohn

wow I seen a guy smoke like that. he put his cig to his neck hole and smoked that sucker. I asked him how he got the hole ( I didn't know) he said from throat cancer. and the best part he gets his medical free from tax payers as well as SSI. I told him he needs to tape that hole up and smoke from his #.

Say whatever you want, but that guy IS A BADA**!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator
...do these gruesome pictures and negative messages really contribute to a reduction in smoking; Or are they merely an inconvenience that current smokers must overcome?

It's a magicians trick. You see, the mind does actually control the body.

It's a way to make people manifest their own diseases. Big money in sick people.

BTW, watch out for the occult symbols they'll slip in there too...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

People tend to have a "won't happen to me" attitude.

Hopefully they do.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Between the price for a pack of Marlboro Lights, and these new 'messages'... I have recently decided to begin RYO. Only problem is I suck terribly at rolling, they come out bulbous and twisted, but for $3 for 2 packs, I cant complain. Hopefully in time I will learn to roll a 'pretty' cig.

Bulbous and ugly? as long as it burns evenly, and delivers my fix, I cant complain much.
for Drum, Tops, etc

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
everyone today - smokers included - are aware of the hazards and potential outcomes from smoking, but they keep smoking anyway. Just like all those "the truth" campaign commercials with the statistics on how many people die each year from lung disease brought on by smoking tobacco, and that commercial where it ends up showing the grey old man in a wheel chair who looks like an alien... I've never known anyone who watched one of those commercials and was like "Oh $#!T I need to quit!"

I feel that these pictures they paste on the sides of cigarette boxes will have the same effect.. basically none at all.
edit on 21-6-2011 by deanGI5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator
...do these gruesome pictures and negative messages really contribute to a reduction in smoking; Or are they merely an inconvenience that current smokers must overcome?

It's a magicians trick. You see, the mind does actually control the body.

It's a way to make people manifest their own diseases. Big money in sick people.

BTW, watch out for the occult symbols they'll slip in there too...

I uhh... Hmm... well, I uh... you really think so? I cant really refute that statement, and according to what I have been reading on ATS recently, I cant disagree. Star for a thought provoking comment.

...hmmm...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I had started rolling my own as well. Saves a lot of money. I also find I get a certain satisfaction out of rolling my own rather than pulling one out of the box. a more intimate relationship with my cig

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Canada has had this for a very long time. Nothing new. Hasn't stopped me from smoking. Though i do want to quit eventually. The pictures are just like "Cigarette cause lung cancer *puff*, and can cause anneurysms..*puff*, and heart disease. *puff*"

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The same approach never worked here in Australia.

The government's love the massive TAX they get from tobacco sales, and, they do not apply that Revenue to the Health System as they should to cover the costs of smoking related illnesses... that they claim is draining the health system.

If our Government's gave one single Hoot for any smokers, they would force the Tobacco companies to STOP processing with toxic chemical cocktails that create worse addictions and worse health problems than plain old tobacco ever could.

I once bought some "chop-chop" as it is called here.. Illegal Tobacco.. homegrown... and in doing so I was now being a Criminal by avoiding the TAX our government claims as Revenue . In fact, had I been caught the offence carries a far heavier penalty than being in possession of or growing vast quantities of a green smoke-able substance.. how's that for Insanity?

Government's are GUTLESS in the face of their own GREED.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It's not only done in America, Australia and Canada..They've been printing off these graphic pictures on cigarette packs in the UK too. Something they have been doing for the past few years now in fact. I got to admit it still hasn't trying to put me off smoking to be honest though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Canada has had this for a very long time. Nothing new. Hasn't stopped me from smoking. Though i do want to quit eventually. The pictures are just like "Cigarette cause lung cancer *puff*, and can cause anneurysms..*puff*, and heart disease. *puff*"

Exactly my point. Being an american from birth, I have visited Canada twice, and both times noticed the difference in Cig Packs, (both times Montreal, take from that what you will). I was slightly surprised by canadian cig warning labels, but never phased. I know that Australia has had warnings similar to Canada for some time. The ineffectiveness of the warnings makes me wonder/chuckle why is the US doing this only now, and with what purpose?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
It's not only done in America, Australia and Canada..They've been printing off these graphic pictures on cigarette packs in the UK too. Something they have been doing for the past few years now in fact. I got to admit it still hasn't trying to put me off smoking to be honest though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I am only posting from my own experience, I didnt mean for any to feel 'excluded' from this ridiculous policy
. I will keep the UK in clear mind regarding this tobacco ridiculousness henceforth,

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

PsyOps for the millions if not billions of cancer victims within the next ten years...FUKUSHIMA DAIICHI.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join