It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

firefox + chat = Doesnt work!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
hello ATS users who use firefox...

Those of us who use Firefox and enjoy the ats chat feature may or may not have noticeDdan issue with the chat function of ATS and find it annoying when we try and access our favorite chat on the interwebs.

It has almost been a year since the new chat has been around, maybe more... I have not kept track, but most of the time when I try to access ATS chat through Firefox I cannot get in. I know others have experienced this issue.

when will ATS fix this little bug?

Its not like they will chase potential members away with proper loading or anything.... it takes me about 10-15 tries before im able to get in. I bet you guys can fix this issue if you can put your mind to it!

does anyone agree?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm in chat and on firefox right now... Works fine.. if it doesn't load right away try pressing ctrl+r?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
yeah i have this issue as well, it says continune, I do, but then it just sits as a gray box. never loads, never has.
ive never been able to get into chat

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
yeah i have this issue as well, it says continune, I do, but then it just sits as a gray box. never loads, never has.
ive never been able to get into chat

Same here but I have not really said anything because I rarely go into the chat room anymore.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I rarely go into the chat room anymore.

Me, either mostly because I usually can't.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

I rarely go into the chat room anymore.

Me, either mostly because I usually can't.

At least you have a good excuse... Mister Busy Mod

I just, don't really go to the chat room anymore.... But I did try just now and it did not work... Yes, I am using firefox.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Whatev.

No, it's more I'd rather jam a shrimp fork in my right femoral artery than do anything involving chat. And yes, that's a slight exaggeration for effect.

Slight.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Kinda sad in this age of internet that a site like this has problems integrating their features with one of the world's most popular browsers.

And to all those who say use a different browser.......I won't. ATS should use a different system to include ALL members.

Only time I really enjoyed chat in the past was Xmas day when things are festive and everyone is pie-eyed

I just don't consider it at present but would if they got it fixed. It's broke.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have been trying for months to get into chat I have tried Firefox / IE / AND Chrome and all I get is the gray box also. Very frustrating and have posted to almost every thread regarding this situation and have done the suggestions to the point of turning off ALL firewalls (hubby had a fit when I did that!).

It would be nice to have CLEAR directions on what needs to be done on our end to be able to access chat.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Use google chrome. It is ten times better than firefox

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have the same problem but it loads up if you right click in the box, select This Frame, then select Reload Frame...it loads up chat for me everytime

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I have the same problem with FF. it's hit and miss most of the time it is just the gray page,
what I do is copy the url for the chat window and paste it into a new blank tab.
That seems to work for me

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
adding my voice:

I have experienced the same problem. Sometimes,if I'm feeling frisky, I'll try over and over again, restart, etc and MAYBE it will work. I'm not using IE, it's just too damn slow, and I'm not fully comfortable with chrome, although I have it.

I just tried it with chrome and it was a no go. Could be because I'm using linux...either way it should be fixed.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Whatev.

No, it's more I'd rather jam a shrimp fork in my right femoral artery than do anything involving chat. And yes, that's a slight exaggeration for effect.

Slight.

Well there you have it.... Clearly folks, this mod has been brainwashed by the owners to hate chat.

See what happens when you become a mod folks? Oh wait... I was a mod for two years and never once did I see any signs of things being run by the government as some suggest.

Seriously though, yeah, chat is a pretty big mess at times.... Almost like a playground..... Don't get me wrong, sometimes it is fun to kick back and play, but.... I don't know... I just stay away from chat.

Though... Id rather go to the chat room than stick a fork in my eye... But that is probably because my mod brainwashing and computer chip that they put in my neck, is not working any more.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
OK, I tinkered with this with Firefox a bit and I found a work around.

Close all your tabs, but leave open "myATS". You can click on "myATS" at the top of the page between the buttons "RECENT POSTS" & "TOOLS".

Now click the "CHAT" button while in "myATS' and it opens with no problem for me. Give it a try, and give some feedback.

EDIT: There's only 12 people there, and not much going on. Dive in and make it more interesting.
edit on 20/6/2011 by anxietydisorder because: added a line

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kp1987

no thanks man. tried chrome... its a pain in my sphincter.

IE and chrome work fine... its firefox... my fav browser which I normally use is whats buggin on me. I am not going to switch my internet browser for ONE feature on the internet.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
chat does work with FF, just not very well. you have to close it and re-open a few times, for me its usually 2-3 times but sometimes more.
just use IE.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

I use firefox and frequently use the ATS chat function. I simply have to refresh the page once or twice and it loads fine.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Some key things to keep in mind:

1) The chat used, RealChat, is from a third party vendor. Since it is not an in-housed developed environment, ATS is limited as to what can be tinkered with in the software.

2) The fact that there was no problem with Firefox until their major update about a year ago is also something that ATS has zero control over.

While I appreciate your bringing this to the attention of everyone, the fact is that the problem seems to be with how Flash or Java is being handled by Firefox or some unusual scripting calls are being made by RealChat that Firefox doesn't like for security reasons. Maybe a solution would be to allow the URL for chat as a trusted URL to see if that has any effect?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Thanks ahab.

I dont speak for me though, I speak for everyone using ATS chat + Firefox. Shouldn't ats upgrade to their own chat or contract their chat services to another client that is universal to any and all web browsers?

bugs me to all hell. tried everything people mentioned on this thread. nothing works.

the ontly thing that works is random clicking... 1/30 times it works. kind of annoying... and the reason why I have not been in chat as frequently as i used to be.

join