It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea now testing new missles that can carry "super emp" capable of taking out US infrastruc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
www.newsmax.com...

"Gary Samore, a top Obama administration national security official, warned of new sanctions if North Korea conducted a third round of nuclear tests on Monday, as reports surfaced that North Korea has miniaturized its nuclear warheads so they can be delivered by ballistic missile.

North Korea’s last round of tests, conducted in May 2009, appear to have included a “super-EMP” weapon, capable of emitting enough gamma rays to disable the electric power grid across most of the lower 48 states, says Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, a former CIA nuclear weapons analyst and president of EMPact America, a citizens lobbying group."

Apparently the US government is worried about one of these weapons making it to US soil. I though our missle defence was good enough to stop threats like this? I think back to what was probably a missile off the coast of california a little while back. If there are holes big enough for these EMP weapons to get thru, that is much more of a threat than the tin pot dictators we are currently over throwing, but we only threaten with sanctions?
edit on 20-6-2011 by wiandiii because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2011 by wiandiii because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Did they play homefront and agree with it?

will this be the start of unified korea?

homefront trailer for reference.

edit on 20-6-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
www.newsmax.com...

"Gary Samore, a top Obama administration national security official, warned of new sanctions if North Korea conducted a third round of nuclear tests on Monday, as reports surfaced that North Korea has miniaturized its nuclear warheads so they can be delivered by ballistic missile.

North Korea’s last round of tests, conducted in May 2009, appear to have included a “super-EMP” weapon, capable of emitting enough gamma rays to disable the electric power grid across most of the lower 48 states, says Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, a former CIA nuclear weapons analyst and president of EMPact America, a citizens lobbying group."

Apparently the US government is worried about one of these weapons making it to US soil. I though our missle defence was good enough to stop threats like this? I think back to what was probably a missile off the coast of california a little while back. If there are holes big enough for these EMP weapons to get thru, that is much more of a threat than the tin pot dictators we are currently over throwing, but we only threaten with sanctions?

I dont know a ton about EMP's, but I do know that they arent like a normal missile-they emit a wave-radius. Even if missile defenses take them out, say, over the pacific ocean, there is still a chance that the EMP wave reaches soil.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sounds like a fly trying to beat a sledge hammer to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
SO, I was talking about this in early 2010, and told I was crazy.
I believe Jane's News reported this as well, early 2010.
So the missile would be fired and the idea is to detonate the payload in the atmosphere above the target.
Since the EMP is not really an "aimed" technology, it would (In theory) shock out in all directions, in a 3-D 360 sphere.
The EMP would overload electronics, blowing out resisters, capacitors and so on, thus rendering electronics fried and useless.

It is very much in the realm of viable possibilities.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If North Korea actually committed an attack like this hell would be brought down upon them from NATO. That is of course unless China disagrees with NATO retaliation in which case WW3 will break out shortly afterwards and North Korea will be nothing to worry about.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is truly scary.One emp detonated a few hundred miles over the midwest could disable most of the USA.It would be a nightmere.what we need to be doing is upgrading our electric grid for such attacks as much as possible.Solar flares could have the same effect.Modern society would crumble.Food would be impossible to store.We have 1000 times more demand for food than 120 years AGO BEFORE ELECTRICITY.Riots would be almost instant and a total infrastructure breakdown.It would be worse than a nuclear attack because you dont have to feed anyone after a nuke goes off.Hope we are working on a solution.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
so the EMP is embedded on the nuke?

smart choice, this is strictly aimed at the us's ballistic shields and "star wars" tech

im not an expert on this, but wouldn't the emp render the nuke harmless aswell?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I wonder if this has anything to do with Obama and David Cameron recently talking about rolling blackouts for sections of the US and UK?

I'll have a look for the story but it was supposed to be something to do with sun activity.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's not going to happen. The US has nothing to worry about. NK knows that if they ever actually did this, they would have essentially, destroyed their own country because that is how hard we would retaliate....

It's not going to happen.... Just more fear mongering.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
North Korea couldn't get a missile off the ground unless we allowed them to do it. Fear mongering.

North Korea can't even get a fishing boat off their coast without us stopping it and searching it.

Please stop Obama from starting a war in the Pacific.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
There is a book called 'One Second After' that is fiction, but addresses the impact an EMP detonated over the continental US could have in a very realistic fashion. It would be pretty catastrophic and since I finished my term in service I have always wondered if this was what the DUMBs, FEMA camps, coffins and now police martial law training ramp-ups have been for. Nice to see the subject gain more attention everyday. Thing is it may be a few years too late.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I believe there is a decent amount of military equipment that is already "hardened" to sustain such an attack.

The craziest thing about EMP in conspiracy terms is that the EMP Commission report was released on the same day as the 9/11 commission report. I won't go into speculation about false flag or anything, but if you think in nefarious terms this could fulfill all the NWO population reduction stuff. I would think after an attack where many people realize their dependence on electricity the majority would be wary of having a chip implanted as the scanner would require electricity. People may not accept a form of currency that is not physical and depends on electricity/electronics to function after that. Maybe the gold/silver buy ups and trading play into this. Don't know, just having fun theorizing.

edit on 20-6-2011 by AlexKintner because: added text

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So much for all the mini ice age blowhards.

" Such a weapon — equal to a massive solar flare such as the “solar maxima” predicted by NASA to occur in 2012 — poses “substantial risk to equipment and operation of the nation’s power grid and under extreme conditions could result in major long term electrical outages,” said Joseph McClelland of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in Senate testimony last month.

Read more on Newsmax.com: North Korea Tests 'Super-EMP' Nuke"

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

smart choice, this is strictly aimed at the us's ballistic shields and "star wars" tech

The nuclear reaction creates the electro-magnetic pulse. EMPs were discovered as a side effect to nuclear detonations.

EMP weapons are specifically designed to create the EMP without a nuclear blast (or a very limited one anyways).

The Russians have already miniturized EMP weapons to the degree of a device that can fit in your pocket taking out a city block, or so it is said

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

The nuclear reaction creates the electro-magnetic pulse. EMPs were discovered as a side effect to nuclear detonations.

EMP weapons are specifically designed to create the EMP without a nuclear blast (or a very limited one anyways).

The Russians have already miniturized EMP weapons to the degree of a device that can fit in your pocket taking out a city block, or so it is said

Yes and no.
Yes, a nuclear explosion should have an EMP as well and the big boom.
There have been in works, for a while now devices that only deploy an EMP.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Yes and no.
Yes, a nuclear explosion should have an EMP as well and the big boom.
There have been in works, for a while now devices that only deploy an EMP.

Yep but I can only imagine such an EMP weapon that is capable of taking out electronics over such a big area would have to be a nuke, nothing else would be powerful enough right? I've seen a youtube of a red neck with a home made EMP device that was powered by about 12 or so car batteries and I think it would stop a modern car at about 10 feet, so well for what that's worth I suppose.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So what would stop NK from selling/giving these/this tech to Iran, who ( Iran) in turn sends them to Venezuela. In that scenario you would only need TBMs or MRBMs to cripple the US.

NK and Iran attack Europe with emp ballistics, Iran-Venezuela attack US with emp ballistics, China takes out communication satellites.

That would be one helluva scenario. Not to mention you can use emp Ballistics to disable air forces and navy's.

Yeah been awhile since I've played risk. But I can see emp ballistics being first strike weapons of choice. I mean what would happen if everyone just started launching these emp missiles at each other. No one would be able to keep their lights on long enough to do anything other than launch another emp. That would be funny.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Homefront scenario is interesting. But I don't think the scenario could hold water even 10 - 15 years from now. A I doubt there's a chance a Unified Korea could pose a threat towards most of Asia and not even America. America is a huge nation with lots of land and a lot of armed citizens. Even with United Korea, Japan and many minor Asian countries, they would be pressed to invade America. Even with an EMP strike, the military will still be effective. Luckily its only fiction. Great game tho.

As for missile defenses, its never 100% accurate. Lower than you think. The only way a nation could defeat a missile shield is by pure numbers. Launch as many missiles where it overwhelms the defense system. Russia could possibly do this with their arsenal. For now, Korea is only a threat to Asia. If they do something later on, they'll have to face the wrath of many countries.

top topics

join