It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Latin nations seek to block Ga. immigration law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

11 Latin nations seek to block Ga. immigration law

www.washingtontimes.com

Mexico and 10 other countries have joined the legal fight against Georgia’s tough new immigration law, warning that the strict crackdown could jeopardize close ties between the U.S. and its Latin American neighbors.
The nations filed briefs late Wednesday in support of liberal groups who asked a federal judge to declare Georgia’s new law unconstitutional and block it from taking effect.
The filing marks a new phase in the legal showdown that has pitted Georgia’s attorneys against groups who had threatened to challenge the law even before it was adopted by lawmakers. Mexico’s move al
(visit the link for the full news article)

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Mexico is suing over American immigration laws again? What gives them the right? Who do they think they are? The people have spoken, more and more people want an end to illegal immigration. This upsets Mexico, so i suggest we mollify them by enacting their policy on illegal immigration. Surely they would not sue over our enacting their policies.

Mexico has a single, streamlined law that ensures that foreign visitors and immigrants are:

• in the country legally;

• have the means to sustain themselves economically;

• not destined to be burdens on society;

• of economic and social benefit to society;

• of good character and have no criminal records; and

• contributors to the general well-being of the nation.

The law also ensures that:

• immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;

• foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;

• foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country’s internal politics;

• foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;

• foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;

• those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.

The Mexican constitution strictly defines the rights of citizens -- and the denial of many fundamental rights to non-citizens, illegal and illegal. Under the constitution, the Ley General de Población, or General Law on Population, spells out specifically the country's immigration policy.

— The Mexican government will bar foreigners if they upset "the equilibrium of the national demographics." How's that for racial and ethnic profiling?

Illegal entry into the country is equivalent to a felony punishable by two years’ imprisonment. Document fraud is subject to fine and imprisonment; so is alien marriage fraud. Evading deportation is a serious crime; illegal re-entry after deportation is punishable by ten years’ imprisonment. Foreigners may be kicked out of the country without due process and the endless bites at the litigation apple that illegal aliens are afforded in our country (see, for example, President Obama’s illegal alien aunt — a fugitive from deportation for eight years who is awaiting a second decision on her previously rejected asylum claim).

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Pathetic! What kind of madness is this? How about we go sue Mexico over is immigration laws.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It's NOT "immigration". It's ILLEGAL "immigration", unlawful trespassing. It's a CRIME.
These marches and protests, make people think "south of the borders" are pro-crime "activists", that love crime, and spit on others national sovereignty(I think I spelled that right?).

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
"Best spartan voice*

"THIS. IS. RIDICULOUS!"

Who the heck are these countries to interfere with US domestic policy? Last I checked, we are a sovereign nation (although some would disagree
) and they have to reason to get involved. What, are they upset because we are making it harder for them to pawn off their "undesirables" on us? What a crock.

Mexco is pissing me off to no end. First they blame the US for their drug problem, then they blame the US for their weapons problem, now they are whining about us not wanting them to illegally come here? Talk about stupid.

Bottom line is, this is a US issue, and they should have no voice. If they would make their country a bit more livable, then maybe they wouldn't have a reason to come here in the first place.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
Pathetic! What kind of madness is this? How about we go sue Mexico over is immigration laws.
You know, I wonder if we can? That is a good idea.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
screw them

we should unilaterally invade for imperialist reasons

democratize to our standards and reduce the native population to shambles

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
Bottom line is, this is a US issue, and they should have no voice. If they would make their country a bit more livable, then maybe they wouldn't have a reason to come here in the first place.
Amen and Amen. Tell them to fix their own problems and leave us alone. We need to bill Mexico and all the other 11 for medical, social and other costs that their citizens incur while here illegally.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truther9111776
screw them

we should unilaterally invade for imperialist reasons

democratize to our standards and reduce the native population to shambles
Please be sarcasm. We do not need 6 wars going on at once. We are already fighting too many imo.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
people what this is all about is money

they are aiding and abetting criminal activity in this country so that they dont get cut off from the cash they send back.

laws mean nothing to them and yet that are trying to circumvent law by screaming law.

leave it lawyers and liberals.

personally i think every single one of them can take a long walk off a short peir and get lost.

this is what the us has been reduced to illegals have more rights than legal americans do.

and it is seriously ridiculousl
edit on 19-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A very biased article that seems to want to just attack Mexico for some reason. Latin America is correct to be concerned. I'm not saying these countries should be able to override U.S.A. laws, but if there is a issue that is truly of concern then it is perfectly reasonable for them to initiate diplomatic debate in the interest of their international relations and expatriots.

And why is everyone attacking just Mexico? There seems to be so much hatred in US people for Mexico - and not just the government, but for the people! I'm Argentinian and when I travelled around US I got many snide comments when people heard me speaking my language (which is actually quite different from M.), and I'm not even dark of skin! If there is such a problem with discrimination and racism, then possibly perpetuating it with these laws is not the answer. Best to prevent illegal immigration in the first place I think.

I may not be on the right side here. I lack all the information. But it does make me sad when people are so willing to attack Mexico, and the rest of Latin America, so rapidly and so vicously, so they don't even listen to the other side of view. Weigh it up and then decide in a fair and rational manner, and do not forget the importance of maintaining strongest international relations possible in this world of globalisation. Everything needs context.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is just a big show and nothing serious. Foreign nations can't sue in the U.S. over America laws and you'll notice that the briefs are just to support the actual lawsuits filed by American groups. These foreign nations probably saw the law come up and decided to jump in because it will make them look good back home. These lawsuits would have been filed regardless so they countries are just taking advantage of it.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
When Mexico eases up on their own restrictive illegal alien laws, then they can whine to us about ours.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

What our response to Latin America should be -
Can we get a care check on aisle 2 please.... care check.. aisle 2.

Mexican border govenors have met with their US counterparts and have complained that they cant handle the influx of illegals being returned to Mexico. They have also complained that the number of illegals returned with criminal histories are causing issues.

No kidding... They are your problem Mexico, not ours.

I say we adopt the Mexican Immigration law they have in place. Other countries say the US immigration laws are draconian... Apparently they have never seen Mexicos.
edit on 19-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Both laws are about the same.

They are probably just as bad at enforcing them as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Both laws are about the same.

They are probably just as bad at enforcing them as well.

Not even close.. You get caught illegally entering Mexico you are looking at about 5 years in prison. Double that if you are smuggelin people into mexico on their southern border. If you want to immigrate to mexico you have to NOT be a drain on their economy, meaning you must have something that will benefirt Mexico. If you are unskilled labor, have fun in prison.

Want to buy land in Mexico... dont count on it if its within 50 miles of a border or along the ocean.

If you are mexican, and illegally emmigrate to another country, you are still allowed to vote in Mexico. Mexica has laws in place that make it impossible for non mexicans to challenge their immigratuion laws, which is apparently something they are aboce when it comes to foreign countries.

Screw em.. I say we turn the southern bnorder into a militarized zone with live fire exercises.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Wrong those old laws were changed years ago.

Here's what it's really like:

An American’s Lament: ‘I Was Deported, Too’

“The cell was better than some of the 300-peso hotel rooms I’ve stayed in,” he said. “The only thing was that it had bars.”

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepThoughtCriminal
And why is everyone attacking just Mexico? There seems to be so much hatred in US people for Mexico - and not just the government, but for the people!

You have to understand that the US has been subject to an unrelenting wave of immigrants for the last 30 years or so, against the wishes of most of the populace. At the same time the working class here is seeing their living standards eviscerated. And they are blaming immigrants for undercutting their wages. So that is where the anger is coming from.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Good, then we should sue for damages the cartels cause........and the damages and expenses illegal immigrants have caused.......

You know WHY they are suing? They dont want their riff raff BACK...........crime is bad enough there, you think they want us shipping back their criminals lol!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This isn't US vs Mexico...This is about money and the interdependency of world economies.
Regardless, it is a state's right to introduce legislation within their state as they see accordingly. Georgia must have the final say regarding their immigration laws. I don't have a problem with that, so long as other states have their right to determine their immigration laws as well. If other states want to extend or implement immigrant workers permits; that would be their right too.
The US government and Mexico should stay out of it and let Georgians decide what's best for their state.

And the reason I bring up the US government is because the Justice Department sued Arizona over their immigration laws.
edit on 19-6-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join