It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers: Outlaws or Patriots? (Anonymous)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Would the government use a hacker group to launch global terror?

"Today our crucial infrastructure is run by computers. Computers are playing a central role...in electricity, oil distribution, water, water treatment...finances, everything. If you roll back a few years in time...we didn't have computer attacks: computer viruses and worms doing things like causing air traffic delays, shutting down ATM systems, shutting down 9/11 emergency service systems... Now that can happen. A hacker on a park bench could log onto dozens of government computer systems."

I found this documentary a bit ago on youtube and seeing on how 'Anon' is hated, and loved by many , I thought I would post it.

Here's a bit of what the documentary is about;

A large portion of this documentary centers around hacking messiah Adrian Lamo, "the homeless hacker," who was convicted for hacking the New York Times, among other sites.

The film also covers phone phreaking through whistling and blue boxes, social engineering to gain confidential information, dumpster diving, satellite hacking, the Arpanet, ICAAN controlling the Internet, cyber-law, the societal aspects of hacking, real intelligence, different types of hackers, Russian hacking houses, wireless access points, automated control systems, backdoors, Asian cyber-wars, cyber-jihad, denial of service attacks, Al Qaeda, 9/11, biological warfare, combined arms approach "fire sale", the war on terror and cyber tyranny.

Also for those who may not know what a 'Hacker' is i'll give the definition I got from the Docu.

hacker n.- A type of person interested in exploration, usually of a computer.

edit on 18-6-2011 by Oozii because: Fontttttttttt..

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Here are two definitions from The Original Hacker's Dictionary taken from MIT in 1988
www.dourish.com...

[This file, jargon.txt, was maintained on MIT-AI for many years, before being published by Guy Steele and others as the Hacker's Dictionary. Many years after the original book went out of print, Eric Raymond picked it up, updated it and republished it as the New Hacker's Dictionary. Unfortunately, in the process, he essentially destroyed what held it together, in various ways: first, by changing its emphasis from Lisp-based to UNIX-based (blithely ignoring the distinctly anti-UNIX aspects of the LISP culture celebrated in the original); second, by watering down what was otherwise the fairly undiluted record of a single cultural group through this kind of mixing; and third, by adding in all sorts of terms which are "jargon" only in the sense that they're technical. This page, however, is pretty much the original, snarfed from MIT-AI around 1988.

HACK n. 1. Originally a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well. 2. The result of that job. 3. NEAT HACK: A clever technique. Also, a brilliant practical joke, where neatness is correlated with cleverness, harmlessness, and surprise value. Example: the Caltech Rose Bowl card display switch circa 1961. 4. REAL HACK: A crock (occasionally affectionate). v. 5. With "together", to throw something together so it will work. 6. To bear emotionally or physically. "I can't hack this heat!" 7. To work on something (typically a program). In specific sense: "What are you doing?" "I'm hacking TECO." In general sense: "What do you do around here?" "I hack TECO." (The former is time-immediate, the latter time-extended.) More generally, "I hack x" is roughly equivalent to "x is my bag". "I hack solid-state physics." 8. To pull a prank on. See definition 3 and HACKER (def #6). 9. v.i. To waste time (as opposed to TOOL). "Watcha up to?" "Oh, just hacking." 10. HACK UP (ON): To hack, but generally implies that the result is meanings 1-2. 11. HACK VALUE: Term used as the reason or motivation for expending effort toward a seemingly useless goal, the point being that the accomplished goal is a hack. For example, MacLISP has code to read and print roman numerals, which was installed purely for hack value. HAPPY HACKING: A farewell. HOW'S HACKING?: A friendly greeting among hackers. HACK HACK: A somewhat pointless but friendly comment, often used as a temporary farewell. [The word HACK doesn't really have 69 different meanings. In fact, HACK has only one meaning, an extremely subtle and profound one which defies articulation. Which connotation a given HACK-token has depends in similarly profound ways on the context. Similar comments apply to a couple other hacker jargon items, most notably RANDOM. - Agre]

HACKER [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe] n. 1. A person who enjoys learning the details of programming systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. 2. One who programs enthusiastically, or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming. 3. A person capable of appreciating hack value (q.v.). 4. A person who is good at programming quickly. Not everything a hacker produces is a hack. 5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; example: "A SAIL hacker". (Definitions 1 to 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.) 6. A malicious or inquisitive meddler who tries to discover information by poking around. Hence "password hacker", "network hacker".

edit on 18-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I'm hooked will comment upon finishing

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
And this description is from The New Hackers Dictionary
www.outpost9.com...

Crackers, Phreaks, and Lamers
From the late 1980s onward, a flourishing culture of local, MS-DOS-based bulletin boards has been developing separately from Internet hackerdom. The BBS culture has, as its seamy underside, a stratum of `pirate boards' inhabited by crackers, phone phreaks, and warez d00dz. These people (mostly teenagers running PC-clones from their bedrooms) have developed their own characteristic jargon, heavily influenced by skateboard lingo and underground-rock slang.

This is where i place anon

Though crackers often call themselves `hackers', they aren't (they typically have neither significant programming ability, nor Internet expertise, nor experience with UNIX or other true multi-user systems). Their vocabulary has little overlap with hackerdom's. Nevertheless, this lexicon covers much of it so the reader will be able to understand what goes by on bulletin-board systems.

Or as we like to call em on irc "script kiddies"
edit on 18-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Or script kiddies with nothing better to do?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
hackers work for the illuminati faction of Chaos

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Would the government use a hacker group to launch global terror?

"Today our crucial infrastructure is run by computers. Computers are playing a central role...in electricity, oil distribution, water, water treatment...finances, everything. If you roll back a few years in time...we didn't have computer attacks: computer viruses and worms doing things like causing air traffic delays, shutting down ATM systems, shutting down 9/11 emergency service systems... Now that can happen. A hacker on a park bench could log onto dozens of government computer systems."

I found this documentary a bit ago on youtube and seeing on how 'Anon' is hated, and loved by many , I thought I would post it.

Here's a bit of what the documentary is about;

A large portion of this documentary centers around hacking messiah Adrian Lamo, "the homeless hacker," who was convicted for hacking the New York Times, among other sites.

The film also covers phone phreaking through whistling and blue boxes, social engineering to gain confidential information, dumpster diving, satellite hacking, the Arpanet, ICAAN controlling the Internet, cyber-law, the societal aspects of hacking, real intelligence, different types of hackers, Russian hacking houses, wireless access points, automated control systems, backdoors, Asian cyber-wars, cyber-jihad, denial of service attacks, Al Qaeda, 9/11, biological warfare, combined arms approach "fire sale", the war on terror and cyber tyranny.

Also for those who may not know what a 'Hacker' is i'll give the definition I got from the Docu.

hacker n.- A type of person interested in exploration, usually of a computer.

edit on 18-6-2011 by Oozii because: Fontttttttttt..

most of their most sensitive stuff is off circuit so no. They are not stupid. They thought of this. These "attacks" are planned/staged false flag. They want to censor the internet like china does.

edit on 18-6-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Immature pricks who dramatize their geekiness.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I truly believe that they are both.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
They are Heroes.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Anonymous is an hero. He doesn't afraid of anything.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

OMG WTF?!? hahaha, sorry dude, if your english really is bad I'm sorry, but I just loved your comment and I have to say it... I love your comment.

I some what agree with it too, but I guess when it comes to all hackers in general, they're people like you, me and the rest of the world, so let that be what it is.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
the OP may have left out a few choices.

a few not mentioned were:

criminals
spies
traitors

maybe Julian Assange could
answer that question to shed
more light on the matter.
Since Assange was caught breaking into
the Pentagon and recruited.
How else is he to explain getting
caught and only a $1,500 fine and
NO prison term ???

what does that make Assange ??

a Gov Asset !!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
From twitter.

LulzSecThe Lulz Boat
Our numbers got suspended. Try our new numbers | UK +44 020 8133 9723 | USA (209) 690-7925 | lulz-killers don't like the lizard talks.
20 hours ago

So does this mean Lulzsec is just a bunch of phone phreaks? They are using there phone number to forward calls to the FBI, game companies and any body else they pick at the moment to get a Lulz.

I think trying to group them together as one thing is really short sighted. They are a machine. Maybe not well oiled and not allways working together as a whole but they are all gears in a machine.

I guess you could say they are doing what even ATS does. Crowd sourcing.
www.theabovenetwork.com...
edit on 18-6-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

So does this mean Lulzsec is just a bunch of phone phreaks? They are using there phone number to forward calls to the FBI, game companies and any body else they pick at the moment to get a Lulz.

I think trying to group them together as one thing is really short sighted. They are a machine. Maybe not well oiled and not allways working together as a whole but they are all gears in a machine.

IMO, it is a phone forward system.
Lines go to Modesto, CA and forwarded
to San Francisco, CA.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I know its just a fowarding system. But the whole idea of hacking is using something in a unexpected way. And they do that just for laughs. People don't know how things work any more with the exception of what the instructions say. And they dare to use things in different way. How they want because they already bought it. Take the Iphone. The guy bought a phone why can't he decide what service he wants to use. So he hacked it and used what service he wanted. Then it just about became a national secruity issue. Why its just a phone.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by JBA2848

IMO, it is a phone forward system.
Lines go to Modesto, CA and forwarded
to San Francisco, CA.

Calling the FBI or any other agency for a prank is idiotic. Pranking random people is one thing but people that are doing important stuff. Come on. Thats stupid.

You have better thing to go to federal prison for than pranking a well secured,monitored institution just for s---s and giggles. Dumb. Knowing how they have stepped up security after 911 they should not be trying to do this.

But hey CIAnon and Lulz Ops are all fake anyway so who cares.
edit on 18-6-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

It is stupid but there not doing it to look intelligent. People get there #s and giggles in many ways. I can't stand half or more of whats on tv because I think its stupid. But seems like everybody else loves the Jerry Springer tv programs. But my point of the post I made was about you can't tag these groups as one thing or the other because they are different peas in the same pod. Crowd sourcing to collect many different types of people and many different types of techniques to use for Anarchy of the Internet.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Personally I've always felt as if these "hacking groups" (if you can even call them that) are nothing more than random people attempting to buck against a system they disagree with. Now, I am not condoning anything illegal here, and I think some of what these various groups do is completely pointless. However at the same time, I cannot help, but to ponder the possibility of these groups fighting to reveal certain truths to the unknowing public. Either way, the entire ordeal has unveiled the possibility of a heavily censored and controlled internet. I don't think any of us wish for that ending.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Patriots? No. You have to put your ass on the line for that to apply. Anonymous work on the internet hardly applies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join