It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I don't know where this thread should be so move it if nec.

I have cedar apple rust/fungus on one of my apple trees. The solution seems to be to spray them with fungicide. My question is: Is fungicide safe? I have never had to use anything on any trees or plants so I have no idea if this would be harmful to children/pets.

Is there another solution (more organic/homemade) to cure the apple rust?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Organic Treatment for Cedar Apple Rust

Mix four teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate in one gallon of water, and spray plants infected with cedar apple rust. Baking soda (which contains sodium and bicarbonate) is also an effective fungicide, but potassium bicarbonate is better for the soil.

Bordeaux mixture, a fungicide and insecticide usually made from copper sulfate and lime, is also used to treat fungal diseases. However, Bordeaux mixture can stain wood and concrete surfaces, so exercise care when spraying plants.

Read more: Organic Treatment for Cedar Apple Rust | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

Protecting Your Apple Tree

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Try white oil. There are organic recipes if you want a home made version

www.aila.org.au...

It's easy to make your own oil based spray at home and it's totally safe. All you need is a little vegetable oil and
liquid soap.
Oil based sprays are very useful in controlling a wide range of insect pests in the garden. Pests like scale, aphids,
smooth skinned caterpillars, mites and even young grasshoppers suffocate when their bodies are covered with
oil.
You can even use oil sprays to deter the citrus leaf miner.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. In a blender, combine 2 cups of vegetable oil with ½ cup of dishwashing liquid. Blend it up until it’s well mixed.
This is your concentrate and can be stored in a jar. Be sure to label it and include the dilution rate on the label.
2. To prepare the concentrate for use, dilute 1 tablespoon in a litre of water, mix it well and spray the pest as well
as both sides of the foliage thoroughly.
3. Always follow this dilution rate, because you can burn the foliage if it’s too strong and there are a few other
rules; don’t apply it in hot weather and avoid using it on plants with hairy foliage as well as ferns, palms and
cycads as this can also cause leaf burn.
4. Regular applications of this easy to make oil based spray will help protect your plants from many common
pests found in the garden. Why don’t you try it yourself

edit on 17-6-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'd suggest using natural, Dont spray any chemical fungicides on your plant.
Oils works great for combatting fungus/insects Look into Neem oil. May or may not help your case.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
thanks a lot guys..I only have ONE apple tree affected by this. The others seem fine???

I will use some of the suggestions as soon as the rain stops.

Thanks Again.

top topics

join