It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama has legal authority for Libya mission without congressional authorization

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com

The White House also says in the report that President Barack Obama has the authority to continue U.S. military involvement in Libya even without authorization from Congress.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I wonder a thing. When the president want to wage war, he needs to gets the approval no ?
It's another proof of the word "democracy" today that has no sense. I didn't like this war since the start. "Obama is the hope"...
yeah, all right hope to build a new world order.
Visit the link for full article

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
of course he doesn't need approval...he's president supreme...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

That doesn't make it the right thing to do. AND .. if he really doesn't need approval for this 'non-war' WAR ... then America isn't what everyone thinks it is. This is obviously the NWO telling puppet Obama that they want Libya to fall a certain way and Obama (and the rest of the minions) are doing the NWO bidding. It's so freak'n obvious.

There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON for us to be taking action in Libya. None.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Democrawhat? never herd this word
is it like reptilians? Alot of speculations, no hard evidences.
or maybe its a new ruling process where Dick Cheney count for 51% of the population.

edit on 16-6-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
the argument being used by the Obama administration is an absolute joke at this point. Bombing Libya isn't an act of hostility so it doesn't count? We're taking a smaller role in the operation, yet we have more assets there than any other country? How stupid do they think we are?

According to the White House, the Libyan operation has cost the US taxpayer $716 million thus far and if sustained at current levels will cost us $1.1 billion by September. For a country that has so much debt that even the President of the Dallas Federal Reserve projects it to be around $100 trillion, we sure seem to be spending a lot on an operation in which we are taking a minor role in.

[gratuitous link removed]

edit on 6/16/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by EndtheLiedotcom

S***. Now here in France, we will going to pay a war that doesn't concern us.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I wonder why anyone even listens to that man in the white house who claims to be president. I mean it's not like anything he says means a damn thing. Yet for some reason sack riders and brown nosers go right along with every joke he utters.

I'm waiting doe the punch line Soetoro, but somehow I realize the joke is on me.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LaTouffe

Obama is taking lessons from Former president Bush, after all he was the pioneer of absolute government power.

And to think that in these boards many of us warned about the results of President Bush actions against the constitution when it came to presidential powers, and how president to come to follow sue.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Obama is taking lessons from Former president Bush, after all he was the pioneer of absolute government power.

And to think that in these boards many of us warned about the results of President Bush actions against the constitution when it came to presidential powers, and how president to come to follow sue.

Good call Marg. Star on your post.

Former administrations set very dangerous precedents, constitutionally speaking, and the American people left it go on. I think we are past the point where we can help ourselves out of the mess that we are in.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Of course the White House says he has the authority. It's his White House.

What will be more important than the President's subordinates 'declaring' the legality of his unwillingness to fulfill his constitutional requirement to account for the action, is the judgement of first the citizens, then the other two branches of government.

Not that this will change anything .... after all, we know that it's the political party that rules us... and we suspect we know who rules them.

Interestingly, the Media just reported this as if the declaration makes it a 'done deal' .... the power of the press at work... the reporter says so... so it must be so.

edit on 16-6-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
"Democracy is just a word, when the people are starving. The average citizen, made to be, blind to the reason." - Immortal Technique

This is extremely upsetting to see. How far will they go? Who will be next?

Another sign of how bad things really are.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Constitutional experts would tend to disagree highly with Obama, who once claimed to be a constitutional scholar himself. (he studied just enough of it to pinpoint what he wanted to undo)

Louis Fisher, a scholar in residence at the Constitution Project who served for 40 years as a constitutional law expert at the Library of Congress, says Americans and members of Congress should understand that President Barack Obama committed a “very grave offense” against the Constitution in taking military action in Libya without congressional authorization.

“I am not going to recommend that the House Judiciary Committee hold impeachment hearings, but I would like members of Congress and the public to say that nothing would be more impeachable than a President who takes the country to war without coming to Congress, who does it unilaterally,” Fisher told CNSNews.com’s Online With Terry Jeffrey.

Be aware that Obama is desperately trying to take cover behind the UN on this delicate issue. He is also dancing on his toes with regards to answering to Congress and to the public with regards to our mission.

Fisher, whose book Presidential War Power is a definitive scholarly account of the drafting of the constitutional war power and its historical interpretation and implementation, scoffs at Obama’s argument that the United Nations, which the U.S. joined through a treaty ratified by the Senate, can usurp the war power the Constitution gives to both houses of Congress.

“He said I have authorization from the Security Council. It is not authorization under U.S. constitutional law,” said Fisher.

I would like to make it clear that in the U.N. Charter, you cannot have the president and the Senate through the treaty process--the UN Charter or NATO--you cannot have those two actors take the power of Congress and the House of Representatives and give it to either the Security Council or to NATO countries,” said Fisher.

www.cnsnews.com...

It is perfectly clear to me what Obama is up to. Enough of the my hands are tied defense. GTF out of LIbya and time to end ops in Afghanistan. While were at it, we can stop forking over billions of dollars to countries that hate America to the core. I say let it all play out so we have a crystal clear picture of who our enemies actually are.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Obama can explain it to a judge, not the press

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Doesn't need approval for this non-war!!!? I think calling this event a non-war is just ridiculous. Unless we consider having less than 100 000 victims isn't a war. This whole thing is a big mess downplayed by TPTB and now out of the blue the president is now allowed to do what he wants without congress approval. En joy the corruption, the rich keeps getting richer, the poor keeps getting poorer, everything is just fine and capitalism is the way to go

Thruthseek3r

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaTouffe
reply to post by EndtheLiedotcom

S***. Now here in France, we will going to pay a war that doesn't concern us.

If you're a french...then i have the below link for your reading pleasure
Thats all I have to say about the French.

FRENCH_JOKES
edit on 16-6-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
says him, but the entire concept of separation of powers means the congress has to decide this, not the white house. That's like Stalin or Mao or Hitler saying "everything I do is legal because I am the chancellor and I say whatever I do is legal."

Boy, America has really descended far into tyranny in the last couple of years.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

It started in las few decades slowly but since the last 11 years is like a run away train.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Why doesn't anyone here mention Pakistan? Or in Congress for that matter. It's hypocritical, in my opinion, to declare the actions in Libya war while ignoring the bombing in Pakistan, Yemen, Croatia.

According to the definition, these are all wars. Why is no one demanding that we get authorization for these wars?
Where is the outrage?
Politics.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Seems obama is becoming more and more like bush jr. slowly. i personally suspected this would happen.
now, to rule things out..WWII...ddint rooseevelt ok to go to war, without or despite the publics vote? i do know he made a deal with england, at the time, supplying them with ships, planes, tanks, without being nationally involved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join