It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH Vancouver is on fire tonight

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

They kicked our ass in 1812.
They were fighting both world wars way before we showed up.
Their society is quite a bit more democratic than our own
Women in Canada won the vote years before women in the US.
Canadian activists have been opposing corporatism since before your parents could pronounce that word.

They don't fight much because what they've already fought for and won works pretty well for them. If they decide to start kicking heads again, I'm pretty sure it'll work out for them then, too.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It's amazing what people will do over just about anything. I am actuallty a hockey fan (not of the Cunucks though). The thing is, it happens all the time. Some people would just rather riot over their favorite teams losing rather than poor living conditions. I honestly believe It could be worse.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Dear Canada,
Acting like an idiot is not just a Canadian thing.
It is in many, I would argue most countries.
This happens when pro sports gets a foot hold in your life to the point of a sort of nationalism.
Oakland Raiders rule!!
Who???
Fight ensues.
These idiots who war with their own brothers and or sisters buy a corporate shirt/or jersey for $100 dollars just because it has a team logo on it.
WHAT IDIOTS!!
You could buy 10 good shirts for that amount or 5 great shirts for the same.
It is that way by design, and is why some idiot post teen gets paid more in a year than you or I will make in our lifetimes.
Stop supporting and enabling pro sports, it is bad for the players and is bad for the communities involved.
Dear Canada, hope it helps.
Brothers and Sisters, your not alone.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Because there's a few riots in Vancouver that means sports is the work of the devil now? Sports is a great way to put your built up energy into until We invent a new way to put that same energy into. All the rioters should just pick up a stick and play some hockey in the street and show the Canucks how IT IS done.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by amongus

Canadian activists have been opposing corporatism since before your parents could pronounce that word.

They don't fight much because what they've already fought for and won works pretty well for them. If they decide to start kicking heads again, I'm pretty sure it'll work out for them then, too.

So, what you are saying is they have done nothing in recent memory.

Got it.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
As a Canadian, I am disgusted.

These are no more than a bunch of hoodlums who got piss-drunk at the bars during the hockey game. I can tell you that 99% of Canadians are NOT like that.

I've seen videos where people are urging the vandals to stop. Although I am no Vancouver fan (though I do cheer for hockey teams sometimes, I do not take hockey as seriously as a lot of people do here), I am sure most real Vancouver fans are as disgusted as I am at the idiots running around out there.

The worst part of this all is that now Vancouver fans, and residents in general are going to have the social stigma as the world's worst losers, even though this was just a small minority of un-intelligent testosterone-fueled drunken idiots.

Honestly, over a hockey game?

I know that's what me and dozens of millions of other Canadians are thinking right now.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Silly rabbit!!
Did I say it was teh Devil???
It is quite common for some folks to dismiss stupidity for the devil though.
No, I tried to explain it was stupid people buying into corporate lies and strategy.
I was wondering if some wouldn't understand, I was also wondering which teams logo they wear.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Oh I know, but you're just grilling on and on about corporations, greed, and how sport companies like that only exist because of a demand for them. The devil remark was just as a little added 'funny' when people start shouting and barking at the thing 'above' them.

I think sports are great as it lets out all that energy. It might not be a symphony like music but it beats rioting and you get to push yourself while at it.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by amongus

So, what you are saying is they have done nothing in recent memory.

Got it.

Youir more than welcome north and try again
Maybe your'l get lucky this time

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
If Vancouver is getting this whacked about a hockey game. I wonder what they would do if 300 million illegle aliens came across their open border and soaked up all the jobs working for peanuts. Then had their government tell them that their here to do the jobs Canadians don't want to do.

Americans shouldn't be critisizing anything they arn't willing to do to help themselves.

Maybe we should shut up and take a lesson.

edit on 16-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Beer + Idiots + mostly unemployed and disenfranchised young people = riots.

Personally, I think there would have been riots whether they won or lost. The whole thing sparked off after some people threw beer or water bottles at the big screen outside, then a fist fight broke out and from there mob rule took over. They specifically seemed to target police property and bank property.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

They act so American...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have read a few threads on this subject, and on most of them there are people saying thanks to the Canadians for making us Americans look civilized. Well, i have news for you guys, we have had our share of sports riots as well.

2003 Oakland riots, in the 90's we have the Chicago Bulls riots. Thats just 2 off the top of my head.

Anyone who riots over a sports game, be they U.S, Candian, African, they all give sports fans a bad name.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Go Bruins!! I', a die hard hockey and bruins fan, waited well over 20 years for this. From Game 1 forward not only the team but the people of vancouver showed that they are extremely unclassy and it reached its pinnacle last night when they burned the city down AGAIN. Non hockey fans wont remember but they did this in 1994 when they lost to the Rangers.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
when i see these stupid kids making photos for their facebook accounts posing ...

makes my blood boil..

there alot of reasons for riots in this world....this is def not a reason...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Don't know much about the War in Afghanistan do you?

As for these idiots rioting, it's not the first time it's happened, it's not the last. And ya all act like Vancouver is the only place to ever have this happen after a sporting event.

Drunken sore losers stirring up trouble. I hope the judge throws the book at them.

Edited to add in this....

www.legionmagazine.com...

edit on 16-6-2011 by SusyQ30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
First of all, I have to stay that as a Vancouverite, I am disappointed about the end result of the Stanley Cup Finals with Boston winning in Vancouver.

That said, I am also a die-hard Canucks fan, and I watched the game at a friends place and watched the game on the big screen.

When the Canucks lost, my friends and I were quite disappointed, and yes, we did have a few drinks in us and were a bit tipsy, and we all just focused on analyzing what went wrong. What we didn't do was go outside and immediately trash the neighborhood. We, as civilized Canadians, understand that it is JUST A GAME...an entertainment sport if you will.

Was I surprised that there was going to be a riot in Vancouver if the Cannots, errr, I mean, Canucks, were going to lose? No, I wasn't.

The passion that people have for the game here in Vancouver is beyond that in any other State or Province in North America. This is hockey town on the west coast fueled by huge marketing and corporate promotions and sponsorships to get fans on the bandwagon - especially because the Canucks were the top team in points in the NHL - this gave them a reason to cheer on this team and get Vancouver packed for the game downtown.

But it only takes a handful and 22-28 yr-old punks who are out of school and not mature, to ruin our economic and touristic image world-wide. This is the sad part of it all. I bet that 99.999% of the people who went to Vancouver to watch the game in the street didn't even partake in the destruction of Beautiful British Columbia. And those 0.001% that did vandalize or commit criminal acts were not even true hockey fans.

And this is what pisses me right off. People call the game of hockey a stupid sport. Let me remind you that any sports event is what aides or adds to a country's economy to flourish (hence Olympics). The only Canadian hockey team to be in the finals were the Canucks. Other provinces in Canada were also watching the game and cheering for Vancouver to win the game. It is what brings people across the nation to unite in the belief that the country can win in something legit that doesn't include going to war in other countries and "winning" there, or "winning the war on terror". It is the crap behavior of people who cannot handle disappointment and go to stupid stuff that makes the game look stupid. And that part sucks.

So to all those nay-sayers on the game of hockey, I say screw you and go do some research about the economic benefits and impact a winning hockey team has on its economy and you will see that there are many pluses. But where the line ends is how people react to a top team which cannot finish what has been most anticipated, and that being the Vancouver Canucks (Cannots) winning the hockey Stanley Cup Finals.

At the end of the day, we people, in Vancouver, are generally respectful, caring, and are willing to help others. We have cleaned up very much over the years, and unfortunately some of us didn't. Vancouver is a great place to see, visit, and live in....and even if there was a riot, some people still feel the love for one another where LOVE conquers all...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a8adbd5d0a3.jpg[/atsimg]

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

edit on 16-6-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 16-6-2011 by amarsx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Might wanna rethink that statement. We all have our struggles regardless of where we live. You Americans can whine and moan all you want and bad-mouth us every chance you get, but you need to do as I have done and look inward before you spit on potential allies like we all seem to do so much.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Finally someone who gets it. We don't go and invade random countries just to appease our greed like....well I think you know where this leads.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join