It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK urges Sri Lanka war crimes probe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

UK urges Sri Lanka war crimes probe

www.independent.co.uk

Britain today renewed its calls for Sri Lanka to carry out an investigation into allegations of war crimes, following the broadcast on UK television of video footage apparently showing the summary execution of naked and bound prisoners.

The film, shown on Channel 4, reportedly shows "trophy videos" taken on mobile phones by Sri Lankan soldiers taking part in the military operation in 2009 to crush the Tamil Tiger insurgency and end a 25-year civil war.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.channel4.com
blogs.independent.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.bloomberg.com

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So Channel 4 aired this documentary last night... and I urge people to watch it.

I'm sure this thread, much like the subject, will be ignored.... but it's worth at least posting it.

And it is a truly harrowing film.

The world really needs to do something about this, The UN have all but ignored the incident and subsequent calls for an investigation, and have said that without the Sri Lankan government's consent, they cannot even launch an investigation into the war crimes.... does that not strike anyone else as odd?

Would you ask a murderer their permission before interviewing them or launching a murder inquiry?

The way that these atrocities have gone unreported and the fact that the international community have basically ignored the pleas and plight of the Sri Lankan people is an absolute disgrace and a stain on humanity.

People need to see this documentary and then ask themselves why?

Why is this not being investigated, why are war crimes trials and proceedings not being initiated, why is Ban Ki Moon so keen to not get too involved in this?

We jumped into Libya almost instantly.... but we sat by while up to 100,000 thousand people were slaughtered?

Something very wrong about that.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15/6/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

The world really needs to do something about this, The UN have all but ignored the incident and subsequent calls for an investigation, and have said that without the Sri Lankan government's consent, they cannot even launch an investigation into the war crimes.... does that not strike anyone else as odd?

The World had opportunity to do something when it was going on but for the most part, turned blind eye to it. Like Darfur, like Cambodia, like many others...

Once it's over and done with, yes, then everybody is ready to enact some justice.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes I'm aware that we stood by and did nothing but as they said in the documentary, We didn't help while it was happening, we stood by.... let's not stand by again, let's at least try and get some justice.
Let's make people aware of what happened.... let's bring those responsible to trial.

I agree with everything you say except that we can't do anything now...

We can and we must.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I watched it last night. Thanks for posting this. It's something that people really need to see, though it doesn't exactly make for comfortable viewing. What a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

In my opinion, what will happen now is a few unlucky people will be made to be scapegoats. It happens in these situations and will keep happening. Prevention is the best road possible yet it interferes with status quo all too often.

A positive change won't happen until the next fiasco is averted. And of course, if it is, no one would really no for sure it was. (Because there would be no videos of dead bodies)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Like I said, I totally agree... we SHOULD and COULD have prevented all those you mentioned.

With Libya... we were there in almost an instant protecting the "Civilians" and getting involved....

Why do we sit back and watch all the atrocities happen?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh

I watched it last night. Thanks for posting this. It's something that people really need to see, though it doesn't exactly make for comfortable viewing. What a nightmare.

I know... it really was one of the most disturbing and upsetting things I've ever seen in my life.... but also one that people SHOULD see.

Most aren't even aware of the incidents, let alone the severity of them... and this is unforgivable.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Politics.

Of course they are going to 'hang a few high' from this. But me personally I don't care one way or the other. Stopping things before they happen makes a difference. It will be the "go to" guys and the right hands that end up getting prosecuted.

It always ends up being symbolic, but it also makes people fail to understand the entire mess.

It just seems like a "we got the bad guys!" moment, that everyone is waiting for.

Nothing against you or your feelings on the matter. Just a pessimistic day for me that's all.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Politics.

Indeed.... and it's BS man.

Stopping things before they happen makes a difference.

It does but I think we pick and choose who to defend all too arbitrarily and I think it stinks.
We act like we're all loving and peaceful and that we're there to protect anyone in the world who is oppressed and so on.... and in reality, the UN does **** all..... we do **** all unless we can get something out of it...

It's a joke.

It always ends up being symbolic, but it also makes people fail to understand the entire mess.

It just seems like a "we got the bad guys!" moment, that everyone is waiting for.

Well I think trials are a good thing.... The Hague has heard many graphic accounts of atrocities and many people have had at least a little justice dealt to them there.

I'm not after revenge or vengeance, I truly think these War Crimes, these murders.... these rapes and so on, these need to be addressed, admitted and people need to be prosecuted.

The world needs to shine a huge spotlight on Sri Lanka until something is done.

Nothing against you or your feelings on the matter. Just a pessimistic day for me that's all.

Na I know man and to be honest, I'm much the same.
This documentary just got me fired up again.... I remember the bare minimum this story has received for the last few years... It's basically the forgotten massacre and it needs to be remembered.

I know ultimately whatever happens is symbolic and that the people who died will not rise from the dead... these wounds will not heal for the people who suffered while the world stood by and did not act, but the least we can do is know about the suffering....we can at least attempt to get something done.

The British Prime Minister has called for something to be done and may well try and get a full investigation launched, we'll see.... I don't have much faith but I have a small glimmer of hope.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The video in my second post has been removed..... I'm not sure whether those outside of the UK can watch this but here's a link anyway.

www.channel4.com...

If not, Here's all the parts on Dailymotion

Part 1

www.dailymotion.com...

Part 2

www.dailymotion.com...

Part 3

www.dailymotion.com...

Part 4

www.dailymotion.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Just cause they beat England at cricket lol.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze

What?

:shk:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Learn about cricket. Sri Lankans are superp at it.

Now, why does the UK give a hell about Sri Lanka exactly?, oh they dont. The Tamils Tigers are complete pyschopaths, its been going on for decades, we havnt done anything about it before, we aint gonna do anything about it now.

Our government hijacks this brutality for its own selfish ends to look good to the average UK punter and generaly seem like all round good guy on an international level AFTER WE BOMBD LIBYA. RIGHTY HO THEN!

You keep fighting that good fight.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
Learn about cricket. Sri Lankans are superp at it.

Oh I'm aware that a game called cricket exists and that Sri Lanka play and are quite good.... my response was one of amazement at how stupid and unnecessary your comment was, not really the content.

Now, why does the UK give a hell about Sri Lanka exactly?, oh they dont. The Tamils Tigers are complete pyschopaths, its been going on for decades, we havnt done anything about it before, we aint gonna do anything about it now.

Our government hijacks this brutality for its own selfish ends to look good to the average UK punter and generaly seem like all round good guy on an international level AFTER WE BOMBD LIBYA. RIGHTY HO THEN!

You keep fighting that good fight.

So innocent people, 40,000+ should have died because the Tamil Tigers are bad?

We can't do anything now, It's over.... but we can TRY and get some attention on this, we can TRY and go after some of those who perpetrated these murders...

And perhaps Libya was to prevent a massacre....?

As I said in one of my other threads, what is the criteria for us helping out a country?

Why Libya and not Sir Lanka?

Anyway, thanks for the insight.

Gee.... ATS sure is a great place for decent and intelligent discussion these days...

edit on 15/6/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

To be honest blup there are probably several reasons why we didn't get involved in the conflict in Sri Lanka.

One is that it simply has nothing to do with us, as is the case in many other places where we have become involved.

So as you say, what's different?

Firstly the Tamil Tigers were fighting a 'terrorist' war against the legally recognised 'democratically' elected government of Sri Lanka.
The UK does not take military action against 'democratic' governmments unless directly threatened.

Then there is the fear of accusations of neo-colonialism.
Any involvement in the domesic events of the region would result in intense criticism from the region, specifically the Indian givernment who were staunch supporters of the Sri Lankan governments policies and who are a country the UK would be most reluctant to upset.
There is significant 'Western' investment in India but perhaps more importantly Indian businessmen have started investing heavily in the UK with some of the UK's highest earners being of Indian origin.

Conversely there is relatively little UK investment in Sri Lanka and limited natural resources.
UK interest's were not being threatened so........?

As you say, it's politics and it's bollocks!

But it's hardly unique.

Look at the complete and utter indifference shown towards Mugabe and his cronies in Zimbabwe.
The UK could, and should have, made Mugabe's reign untenable and provided the means to remove a most despotic and corrupt dictator yet failed to take any action of significant effect and was happy to only issue empty rhetoric and false promises.

We are not the world's police, indeed we have no moral or legal right at all to even think that and we most definately can not afford to be so.

But a bit more consistency and transparency would go a long way and probably more importantly at what point does human suffering transcend pounds and pence and political dogma and scheming?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Lol my point is man, your fairly deluded if you think anything is actualy going to happen?.

What do you think is going to happen?, we make some arbitrary legislation about embargos, maybe target a few people, ship someone off to the Hague for some publicity?, fine there government?.

Do you honestly live in a world where you ignore decades of ethnic violence and think our government is going to get in the middle of that with some "lawmaking"?. Dont think there really that stupid to be honest. And if they did, how would they go about it?, real peace talks in an international arena?. The sheer costs of logistics and investment required of not only money but time to hold such a forum would be financialy reckless and prove fruitless as it would provide no viable return.

Prevent a massacre in Libya?, lol righty ho then. Please dont try and give me some deluded moral prerogative for excusing governments and acts of violent expansionism.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Quite unnecessary.....and quite wrong!

What is the score in the current Test, (the only form of cricket that really counts), Series and who has consistently held the upper hand?

You would have thought that if someone was going to post something so inappropriate they would have at least tried to get their facts right!

edit on 15/6/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Nah man, IPL all the way.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Turning a serious important thread into a debate about cricket... well done you #ing bellends

top topics

<<   2 >>

join