It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It may be time to start watching Hekla.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I was just looking through the Jon Frimman blog, as i usually do, and noticed a little concern as Hekla has had a rapid (for want of a better word) spell of inflation.

Charts showing this inflation can be viewed here hraun.vedur.is... and here hraun.vedur.is....

The inflation does appear to be quite substantial, at least enough to make me want to quote this from Jon himself.

This is interesting. This area appears to be lifting up rather fast. This is worth watching for sure.

I have not seen this type of inflation before in this area.
www.jonfr.com...

Not trying to be a fear monger with this, just bringing it to the attention of those that may not be aware of this going on.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Can you tell us what Hekla is...some of us probably haven't a clue, me being one

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Can you tell us what Hekla is...some of us probably haven't a clue, me being one

A vulcano

Thanks for the info, will keep an eye on it
edit on 11/6/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/6/2011 by OnlyLove because: NM

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sorry, should have thought.

Hekla is an Icelandic volcano, potentially a dangerous one.

Hekla wiki.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Not just a volcano. The gates to Hell.

During the Middle Ages, Icelanders called the volcano the "Gateway to Hell."

Wikipedia: Hekla

Hekla is a killer. It is a killer because the ejecta is high in fluorine. This kills cattle and people alike.

I said on the 10th October that Hekla was one to watch

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Well that isn't a friendly name.

I will have to look this volcano up. Ever since I saw Mt. Vesuvius I have become more interesting in volcanoes...

And Vesuvius was awesome in person!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Is ther a webcam on this one? I have Katla's but not this.
Thank you

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Thank you for this update. I hope it doesn't decide to reek havoc. We don't want the gateway to Hell open just yet!

Originally posted by Tzavros
Is ther a webcam on this one? I have Katla's but not this.
Thank you

This one is for Hekla.

Live Hekla Cam

edit on 11/6/11 by boo1981 because: Add reply to op

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The volcano appears to be normal however anything in this region is always up for grabs. Not only is Iceland sitting on a fault but also a hot spot so they get double whammyed.

There has been some uplifting but the temp, gas emissions, and earthquake frequency all appear within normal range. Before it blows all of these things will start jumping very high so no immediate eruption is forecast. They do have every inch of this volcano monitored so they'll have plenty of time to get ready for it.

Back in the 80's Long Valley Caldera, a super volcano, actually uplifted about 18 inches and they even put out warnings that it was going to explode but thankfully it didn't so uplifting in itself is no reason for concern.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Many thanks

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

And there is also a static camera operated by Jon Frimann

www.simnet.is...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

and earthquake frequency all appear within normal range. Before it blows all of these things will start jumping very high so no immediate eruption is forecast.

I would suggest that before you make statements like that you do some reading and get your facts right. As a geologist you should understand the phrase aseismic? Hekla is aseismic. They will get about 30 minutes to 1 hour warning - not plenty of time as you suggest.

Last time they had 30 minutes and a geologist on the mountain was damn near killed.

Since I recall you stated that you had worked in Iceland I should have thought you would have known that.

Here you go. Some references to the Hekla's aseismic behaviour.

Jon Frimann
The leading edge
John Search: Hekla
Wikipedia: Hekla
This one is a particularly good PDF by Soosalu Einarsson - a name you should know if you worked there.
Seismic constraints on magma chambers at Hekla and Torfajokull volcanoes, Iceland

There is more if you want?

edit on 11/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Although i knew Hekla was quite a dangerous volcano, i wasnt aware of its potential to be so unpredictable due to it being aseismic.

So thanks for that PM

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire

Although i knew Hekla was quite a dangerous volcano, i wasnt aware of its potential to be so unpredictable due to it being aseismic.

So thanks for that PM

JESUS i hope not , but i too knew this about hekla and katla almost as bad of a monster.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Oddly enough a friend just posted something similar on Facebook.

I found this:

“Hekla has been preparing for an eruption since it last erupted in 2000. There are many indications that it is ripe for an eruption and it has been ready to burst for a few years,” Einarsson told Fréttabladid, adding that an eruption in Hekla would likely be small.

“The past eruptions in Hekla have been rather harmless, but the past eruptions in Grímsvötn were also rather harmless so you never know,” he said.

www.icelandreview.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

According to this site, Hekla erupts approximately every ten years anyways. So it could just be her "normal" cycle and nothing more. I am not finding anything stating that it is under any kind of "watch" or warning, other than a few statements that there is an uplift increase. None of the sites that I went on...USGS as well as the link listed above mention anything about current activity in that area since 2000, other than an increase in "swelling" in the area. But still interesting...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Vesuvius and Long Valley caldera

As Vesuvius (Campi Flegrei SuperVolc) and Long Valley Caldera (also SuperVolc) have both been mentioned you might be interested that both these have been reported with volcanic EQ's on EDIS today bringing the total of supers to 6 (8 if you include Aso and Aira in Japan which they have removed but I believe to still be showing some activity).

Scroll down for SuperVolcs list

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Link to Vesuvius which is basically part of the Campi Flegrei Super

hisz.rsoe.hu...

and this for Long Valley Caldera

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Jon Friedmann was predicting Grim about 2 weeks before it happened, and has stuck his very professional neck out after it stopped erupting saying to expect more from it fairly soon and that Hekkla was restless and he wouldn't be at all surprised if it blew in the near future. (this was about 10 days ago)

bigthink.com...

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
the seismic activity in the atlantic ridge recently does seem to indicate that theres a great possibility we will see more pressure releases in the icelandic region soon.

could be hekla, katla or one of the unpronouceable ones.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This link shows what Jon was saying

bigthink.com...

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Just so everyone realizes that "under watch" is a pretty common thing, this article mentions that 11 were being monitored. Some volcanoes have been watched for as long as they've existed.

Active Volcanoes Under Close Watch Around the World

www.theepochtimes.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join