It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parts of England officially facing drought conditions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Beautiful blue skies again here withe no rain for 3 months. We now are officially facing drought. BBC
Just came on sky news as well, no hosepipe bans at the moment. Constantly filling up all my birdbaths as the local wildlife is starting to suffer.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

My part's fine(thank god), but you don't think that weather modification could be to blame for your drought.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Oh oh I feel someone is about to harp on about something beginning with H?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
weird, its rained for the last 3 days in surrey and when i look at the weather forecast it is raining for the next 5 days. where abouts do you live?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I don't think so. We do get drought round here sometimes. I can't remember the actual dates but I live near the Broads (Lakes) and I have seen this water go very low and it isn't at the moment. Village ponds are down to mud but everything not too bad really.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

We are East Anglia, coast. Yesterday it rained for 10 minutes in a village 2 miles away, not a drop here. This is the wheat growing area. Strawberries are good though

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
What will happen now is that it will start raining, and raining and raining......................get the picture?

We had this the other year in Cumbria. As soon as they declared drought conditions the rain began and went on and on and on.........
About three years ago we had a hot spring and dry conditions. The rain arrived and so did the terrible floods in Sheffield.

It is the usual story in the UK that we have more than enough rain but it is not managed properly by the water companies who are plagued by leaks which they don't fix because they want to give their inflated profits to the share holders.

However, the rain WILL come and is already on its way. In my area we have FLOOD warnings for this weekend. So, do not believe everything ( or anything) you hear on the BBC or read in the papers.

Infact, I'd be brave enough to say, get your brollies and rain wear ready.
The RAIN, it commeth.....

Believe me, the next major news story will be the flooding in the UK!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot

Believe me, the next major news story will be the flooding in the UK!

Funny you should say that, but Sunday is looking quite wet for many! Though East Anglia again missing out on much of it.

Last month here with above average rainfall was October 2010. So far had just 1.1mm this month.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

We had a great deal of rain through the winter. The old Norfolk boys say, 3 months rain, then 3 months dry. So we should rain again soon. The crps are 20% down on production which means the price of bread and beer will go up. At the moment I want rain as the wildlife is suffering but the instant we have more than one day of rain I for one will start the typically English moan. Unlight other countries a drought here is an inconvenience not life threatening. I never leave home without my brolly

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Oh oh I feel someone is about to harp on about something beginning with H?

Yes where are the harpies?, (that was an attempt at an intelligent pun), . Well i had rain last night unless that vodka puddles in my back garden. Seriously though, its always the same in the UK, no rain here for a couple of weeks and we've officially got a drought.
I think we should get a life, and thank God were not facing tornedos and tsunamis.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Essan - This seems to be a recurring pattern for the weather in the UK these last few years; a dry patch followed by RAIN. It is the same old thing. I sometimes wonder if many people take any notice of the weather as we get the same so often now. We get upset farmers, hysterical water companies and then we get RAIN!!!!!!!!!!

It's like some New Age New Style Rain Dance Ceremony!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

We used to have 4 seasons At the moment it's winter then summer. Everything here does look like autumn brown grass and the leaves turning brown on the trees. The water table is still high though which is good. Because the top 2 inches is rock hard if it rains then comes the floods as the rain bounces off the field onto the roads.
As a child we had drought that bad water was only available through a tap at the end of the road. Management is very bad with many pipe still the very old type that crack in frost or heat.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I forgot to add, we did do a rain dance, that is what scared the rain away

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tzavros
reply to post by Elliot

We used to have 4 seasons At the moment it's winter then summer. Everything here does look like autumn brown grass and the leaves turning brown on the trees. The water table is still high though which is good. Because the top 2 inches is rock hard if it rains then comes the floods as the rain bounces off the field onto the roads.
As a child we had drought that bad water was only available through a tap at the end of the road. Management is very bad with many pipe still the very old type that crack in frost or heat.

Yknow your right. I bore my children with this story, but it seems the seasons have been very muddled for a number of years. I tell my kids, when i was little, practically the day we broke up for summer holidays the sun would appear, and we'd have six weeks of constant sunshine. I can remember the summer of 76 like it was yesterday, we were on fire. You never know what your gonna get in this country anymore.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I think this drought only really affects the SE around Norfolk and Suffolk, here in the NW for example we have had loads of rain, in fact I am sick of it, the ground is sodden most of the time

But as usual the MSM will milk a small story for all of its worth, yes it is a bad time for production (Agricultural) to be down, but the SE is not the only agricultural area in the UK. The last serious drought in this country was in 1976 and damn that was a hot year, I even remember them bringing over some native Americans to perform rain dances, it was on TV seemed quite bizarre at the time. Mains water cut off and the only supply was via stand pipes, which were switched on in rota's was queues in the street at the stand pipes every day people carrying as many buckets of water away as they could

Its a bit dry, its not really a drought, well not yet at least

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Scotland is bad at the moment with constant rain. I spoke to someone from the RNLI yesterday on Twitter, he was up to his ankles in water. We tend to get slightly different weather here as we stick out, we either get hit or it misses us, like it is rare if we get snow, which is a shame.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
I think this drought only really affects the SE around Norfolk and Suffolk, here in the NW for example we have had loads of rain, in fact I am sick of it, the ground is sodden most of the time

Aye, NW England, parts of Wales and much of Scotland and Ireland have had more than enough rain these past few weeks!

However, they're further away from London than East Anglia so don't count

SW has also been very dry of late, though that is changing with todays rain and that to come over the weekend.

Ultimately though, it's weather. And without it, what would we Brits have to moan about*?

* okay, apart from politicians, trains, the economy, the French, bankers ...... etc
edit on 10-6-2011 by Essan because: typo

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Hi guys, new to this site, i leave in north west london and right now, there is no water coming into our house, alittle from the kitchen but thats about it, it rained heavily for about 3 days as well, there was even a little flood in some places

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

i live in scotland want some of ours
am sick of the sight of it

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Yes please

RNLI are saying that drought for you is just an urban myth. I love puddles.

new topics

top topics

join