It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Discover Superatoms With Magnetic Shells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Science Daily.com

ScienceDaily (June 9, 2011) — A team of Virginia Commonwealth University scientists has discovered a new class of 'superatoms' -- a stable cluster of atoms that can mimic different elements of the periodic table -- with unusual magnetic characteristics.

Such technology can be used for various applications. Electronics, for instance, could see faster processing and MUCH more efficient and stable storage systems. These types of atoms could be used to create synthetic crystals that could hold thousands of gigabytes of information in a very small end-product. But I also see the potential for this to be used to create magnetic levitation devices. Maybe even some form of magnetic propulsion system.

In the weapons realm we could see far more efficient and far more accurate rail guns. They may even lead to hand held auto-loading rail weapons.

The possibilities for the use of atoms with magnetic shells that can mimic different elements on the periodic table is endless.

We shall see what the future holds.
edit on 9-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

wow this is some awesome tech. The uses seem like they could be numerous. I hope, however, they don't weaponize it. Whats that saying, if we forget our past we're doomed to repeat it? well, the world doesn't need another Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

thanks for sharing!

Mac

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Interesting, it seems not so much that these are super atoms, but super atom clusters.

This seems to be created by the way the electrons create the structure of the cluster.

Personally, I think this is more indication that the electron has far more structural shape than the classical model of the electron allows. My feeling is the electron is a long thread like particle that tangles together to form essentially all structures.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

That is an awfully interesting theory poet.

If you have the time I'd like you to expand upon that either here in this thread or make a new one for it. Seriously. It's very rare that I read something regarding particle physics on ATS that sounds even remotely plausible.
edit on 27-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Sounds an awful lot like this new fandangled "String Theory" youngsters find hip these days.

All jokes aside, I like this theory. Some would say the idea that all matter/energy is composed of one fundamental "material" is the most logical. Does this bear any relation to the "One Electron Theory" proposed by John Wheeler?

top topics

join