It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Villarica-Chile TORNADO.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Looks like volcanos, eartquakes and tsunamis are not enough in Chile. I used to live in Tacna (by the way today a 6.0 earthquake there), peruvian border with Chile, so I know this is not normal at all over there.

Mayor of Villarrica and passage of tornado: "This has been a huge disaster" Strong gusts of 200 kilometers per hour blew through the roof of City Hall. After a flyby, it was determined that the phenomenon involved a 25 blocks area.The distribution of materials to repair the roofs of houses damaged has begun.

High winds destroyed a house in the coastal region of Los Lagos Residents of Villarrica remain without power after passing waterspout tornado devastated kindergarten in the Lakes Region Damage.

"It came suddenly, it blew the windows, damaged the roof of the town, my office was also affected.", described the mayor of Villarrica, Pablo Astete.

When the phenomenon occurred near the 15.30 pm yesterday, the mayor was in the nearby town of Licanray, participating in a meeting. "Unfortunately I witnessed this phenomenon, which was violent and fast," he says. He says he only learned of the situation moved to Villarrica and witnessed the devastating scene.

As it was determined, the passage of the storm, which reached 200 kilometers per hour, included a string of at least 25 blocks long and 12 wide.

Although not yet quantified all the damages, 150 houses lost their roofs or major structural damage, although in most cases the structures are recoverable.

Nor was fought city hall, which had to suspend some of its services. "The infrastructure is in major damage, it blew the roof of an entire sector, there are leaks, lost equipment, computers, so we closed the municipality at least these days, it is impossible to work," said the mayor.

According to the analysis of the communal authority, "this has been a huge disaster, is an unprecedented situation with enormous implications for public and private property."

However, he noted that today the situation is much more calm and controlled and with much more hope. " In this regard, detailed already begun to restore the roofs of many of the affected houses, using materials provided by the Onemi and thanks to staff of the Army. In addition, this event received a collaboration of the Municipality of Temuco, consisting of two trucks carrying construction materials.

It also has been restoring the power supply, which yesterday was interrupted by damage to power lines. For this, the company had to strengthen their CGE staff strength of Talca, Concepcion and Temuco.

www.emol.com...

www.lun.com...
edit on 8-6-2011 by

This other video shows some hale, they are shocked overthere.

Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow, such severe weather and events we are having this year. The areas that get hit, get hit hard with more than one disaster it seem like.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It is becoming difficult to have any emotion for these things anylonger.
the scale and frequencies of the disasters are making me numb.
And I am sure there will be someone that will tell me its normal weather and earth changes..
It would seem mom is doing a deep planet cleaning
edit on 8-6-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yes, I agree. I don't know what else it takes to make some people accept the facts. We are living the most important moments in mankind history. At the current speed we are having disasters, skeptics will be one of the extinguished species by the end of the year. I'll be glad.

News like this one, convince me that prepare my family, storage food and goods and learn survival techniques are the best to do now. That's not fear, that's be intelligent. Don't wait until a disaster knock your own door if you love your family.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yes, I agree. I don't know what else it takes to make some people accept the facts. We are living the most important moments in mankind history.

This is a common feeling, and you can be assured that people living 300, 500 or 1000 years ago thought that they were living in the most important moments in history too. To be fair, I guess the present is always the most important time in history, no matter what is happening at the time. But what are these facts you speak of?

At the current speed we are having disasters, skeptics will be one of the extinguished species by the end of the year. I'll be glad.

Is that a fact? That's pretty disturbing, if it's true. I would like to think you wouldn't wish death on anyone, especially if the reason is simply that they don't believe everything they are told without question. Although there is a serious flaw in that logic. If someone is a "skeptic", it does not mean that they are not prepared for survival, as you seem to imply. I would probably consider myself skeptical of the majority of weather related claims on this site, such as the claims made by the guy in this OP video. But that does not mean I am not aware of the risk of disaster at any moment.

Just recently, there was a tornado of a similiar magnitude to the OP's, in Albany, NZ, near where I live. This is not a common occurence here, and is not considered "normal". But a very similiar event occured in 1991, and it wouldn't have been considered normal then either. But having abnormal things happen, is quite normal in the dynamic world we live in.

But the thing is, in 1991, you proabably would not have even heard about the tornado in Albany, or the tornado in the OP, for that matter. That's why claims based on what you hear and see now compared to the past, are not necessarily factual.

It is true that we have had a fairly large amount of tornadoes this year, although it is entirely possible that we will still have less than the record in 2004. Even if it is the highest, it doesn't mean that there wasn't a year with more 1000, or even just 100 years ago. If you take a look at the graphs on this page, it shows that the average F-rating of tornadoes has been decreasing since 1950, while the number of tornadoes detected, has been increasing. That doesn't mean that these trends can be taken as the exact truth of what has actually happened. In reality, it means that there are probably far more smaller tornadoes detected now, when they wouldn't have been in the past, leading to inflated tornado counts, and dropping the average severity. It's these kind of ideas that skeptics take into account, when others simply accept speculation as fact.

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
It is becoming difficult to have any emotion for these things anylonger.
the scale and frequencies of the disasters are making me numb.
And I am sure there will be someone that will tell me its normal weather and earth changes.

You're probably right there

But most peoples perception of "normal weather" is flawed. Some people seem to expect to get the average, everywhere, every year. In reality, this would be highly abnormal. We should expect to get fluctuations each year, as it always has been, and always will be. That's what makes our planet an enjoyable and exciting, yet dangerous world to live in.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

All that wall of text just to say you are one of the guys I was talking about. Thanks for your comments but I keep the same opinion.

This is a common feeling, and you can be assured that people living 300, 500 or 1000 years ago thought that they were living in the most important moments in history too.

How do you know that???? have you been there and interviewed people in the streets?
edit on 9-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

Also, when I said skeptics will be extinguished, that means they will change.....not die. I can't believe you didn't understand my words, it seems like you tried to twist the meaning of my post.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Also, when I said skeptics will be extinguished, that means they will change.....not die. I can't believe you didn't understand my words, it seems like you tried to twist the meaning of my post.

I blame a late night and excess caffeine

Apologies for the misunderstanding, but I've seen such statements made before.

All that wall of text just to say you are one of the guys I was talking about. Thanks for your comments but I keep the same opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone. But my "wall of text" was much more than saying I am one of the "skeptics" you refer too. I explained how one abnormal localised weather event, is not highly abnormal. If there were 5 damaging tornadoes in a week in Chile, that could be considered fairly abnormal. I explained that perceptions based on current observation are not necessarily factual. I explained how statistics don't always show the real picture, and that asking questions can lead you closer to finding the real truth. I could have merely accepted as fact that tornadoes are getting weaker, as shown in the graph I linked too. But I know this is probably not the case, as increased detection of smaller tornadoes would drop the average severity.

But I must ask again, what are these facts you are referring to? I can't accept facts if you don't provide any. I just explained that I am skeptical of most weather related claims here (with good reason), but you might find I agree with you on many things.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Hi brother, don't worry....I drink coffee too

Also :

If there were 5 damaging tornadoes in a week in Chile, that could be considered fairly abnormal.

Why 5 in the week ? How did you make that calculations ? That's another conclusion you made based in your personal point of view. So, 4 tornados in Chile in the same week would be normal for you? By the way, there were 2, not one. The other was right on the coast, on top of the ocean (how do you call those ones?).

As I said at the beginning, I lived in south america (almost half of my life), I used to cross the chilean border for the weekend. Also have many chilean friends = It's abnormal.

Now, let me add a couple more of ingridients to this soup, just to make it spicy. Same day, by the peruvian border with Chile happened this :

Magnitude 6.0 - SOUTHERN PERU
2011 June 08 03:06:18 UTC
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Now, here is when it gets wierd, just hours before in the same place :

Tacna - The head of National Defense Regional Government of Tacna, Marco Antonio Carrillo, said the strong wind caused this morning in the city of Tacna affected about thirty very poor housing conditions, which were left homeless.

These associations are located in La Rinconada, Rio Seco, Rio Bravo, bridges and Kabul and belong to the district Gregorio Albarracín.

www.prensaescrita.com...://www.correoperu.com.pe

Now brother , don't tell me this triple combo happens everyday, or it needs to happen 5 times to consider it abnormal.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Hi brother, don't worry....I drink coffee too

Also :

If there were 5 damaging tornadoes in a week in Chile, that could be considered fairly abnormal.

Why 5 in the week ? How did you make that calculations ? That's another conclusion you made based in your personal point of view. So, 4 tornados in Chile in the same week would be normal for you? By the way, there were 2, not one. The other was right on the coast, on top of the ocean (how do you call those ones?).

Hi brother. Yeah, caffienes a hell of a drug

The reason I chose five was mostly arbitraly based. Four would also be unusual, but the reason I didn't say 2 or 3 is that if a storm system is capable of forming a tornadic system, it's likely that it might create others. So this means it could be part of the same storm, and not a seperate event. So it seems there was a waterspout as well, that may have been part of the same storm system. We had one near where I lived, on the other side of the Pacific here in NZ, a couple of years ago. There was a massive hail storm and up to 5 waterspouts off the coast. Here's a vid and a link.

NZ Herald
The picure of the road in the article was just down the road from my house. It was certainly quite spectacular. It could be considered abnormal, but not that abnormal for it to occur once, if you know what I mean.

Being a brother on the other side of the Ring of Fire, I know that quakes are certainly not a rarity. We just had a 5.5 and a 6.3 in Christchurch a few days ago. So the quake in Chile isn't quite as rare as the tornado. I'm not sure how the quake would be connected to the tornado events, but it's possible I guess, just not by any means that I'm familiar with. It is quite a coincidence for these events to occur quite close. I do think it's always good to be paying attention to what's going on around the world.

edit on 15/6/11 by Curious and Concerned because: ]

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
It's not the weather it's the fact that communications world wide are nearly instaintanious thanks to the web. The weather has always been here but you wouldn't hear about something thousands of miles away. has MSM covered it no.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

This is a concept that many people underestimate, or don't take into account at all. With the huge increase in information being broadcast, especially with the internet. you would expect to hear about events more than you would have 10 years ago. Also, the amount of video capturing devices is increasing rapidly, meaning events are far more likely to be captured on video. And if you've got a video of something, it's much more likely to be made into a news story and broadcast around the world.

One example being the recent tornado in Auckland, NZ, I mentioned earlier. There are many, many videos of the tornado going through the urban area. These videos were broadcast around the world, making news on sites such as this one. Yet a similiar event in 1991, had no video footage, and would barely have been noticed by those outside NZ or Australia.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

About your hail storm video : Holy Cow !!

Yes brother we agree after all. Certainly Chile is a place we have to keep an eye.

Hey.... be safe overthere ok?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
reply to post by mikellmikell

This is a concept that many people underestimate, or don't take into account at all. With the huge increase in information being broadcast, especially with the internet. you would expect to hear about events more than you would have 10 years ago. Also, the amount of video capturing devices is increasing rapidly, meaning events are far more likely to be captured on video. And if you've got a video of something, it's much more likely to be made into a news story and broadcast around the world.

Yes, that's right. That factor need to be considered always.

top topics

join