It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug makes hearts repair themselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Drug makes hearts repair themselves

www.bbc.co.uk

A drug that makes hearts repair themselves has been used in research on mice.

The damage caused by a heart attack had previously been considered permanent.

But a study in the journal Nature showed the drug, thymosin beta 4, if used in advance of a heart attack, was able to "prime" the heart for repair.

The British Heart Foundation described repair as the "holy grail of heart research", but said any treatment in humans was years away.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Obviously still early days? but if this can be made to work it will possibly make things like heart transplants outdated and remove the side effect problems caused by the pills needed as a result of heart transplants?

One of the main things that will have to watched out for though is blatant price gouging by the big Pharma companies that will develop these treatments?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This is the zebra fish research...all i can do is wish the British Heart research well (both parents died of heart attacks, i know whats coming to me). There is another food derived (not drug) out there that can help people who have had heart attacks, and who suffer from whatever reason from low energy levels....D-ribose, currently expensive-ish for the average Joe...back it up with Co-enzyme- Q10. I've tried it and it does work, within days for me....soon as i've saved up (or quit smoking) I'm getting more of it...assuming i still can (codex alimentarius....grrrr!)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

If true just wait until it is approved for the General public and the cost of the drug becomes astronomically high [Which often happens when something really works] and then the Insurance companies refuse to pay for it saying things like it is "unnecessary" and or is "cost prohibitive" etc.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Indeed. And the way I read this, it needs to be used BEFORE any tissue injury or death occurs. So basically anyone with a chance on having an MI(heart attack) should be given this drug.
Which means most everyone in America! Seriously though, people with hypertension, high blood pressure, angina type chest pains, diabetics, people who don't exercise, who have high stress levels, would all be potential candidates for this drug. More than likely at first at least those who fit MOST of those criteria. Still, that number is enormous.
And it might have to be given for years maybe. You can never really predict when someone is going to have an MI. You can certainly predict they will with relative accuracy, but just not when. So your very right. The drug companies could potentially make another fortune if this actually does hit the markets.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
From someone that needs this info.. this is great news.

A lot of pain and suffering can be stopped or slowed with this.

I sure hope it works well in human trials.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

AND again...

The Insurance companies will most likely be refusing to pay for "Preventative" medicine. They'll want somebody to almost die to prove they need the drug which should have been administered before said MI occurred.

I can just see it now.

Lawsuits all over the place on this one. [Which drives up health care cost even more]

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'm one of the lucky ones. Had a heart attack, was rushed to the hospital by my wife, only to find out that she took me to Banner HEART hospital. Neither of us knew this ahead of time.

A quad bypass later, and I feel like I'm 28 again. Had no heart damage, again lucky.

Trust me, you DO NOT want the pain associated with a heart attack, do whatever you can to avoid it.

If I were to describe it, I'll take some reference from Clancy's last book "Dead or Alive". It literally feels like someone lit your entire chest on fire with napalm, and then some large animal is ripping your heart from your chest. It's absolutely the worst pain imaginable, anything worse would kill you, just the pain itself.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yup, you can guarantee no matter which side of the Atlantic you are on, the insurance companies will drag the case out as long as possible, no doubt hoping you die first, and then even if you do manage to prove your case they will find some clause in the small print to wriggle out of paying.

My family also has a history of heart attacks, my grandfather had at least 6 major heart attacks during his life (as in major life threatening ones) and numerous smaller ones that layed him up for a week or two. Iirc his first was at the age of 28, and resulted in him having the the last rights for the first time, (he had similar on at least two other occasions)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Wow Excellent find S & F for you! NOw if only the drug will be made available to the people that need it at and be affordable, that will be the real miracle!! THANKS AGAIN for posting!!

top topics

join