It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the checkpoint of the future?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Is this the checkpoint of the future?

www.cnn.com

Billing it as a way to end the one-size-fits-all approach to airport security, the International Air Transport Association on Tuesday unveiled a mock-up of what it called the "Checkpoint of the Future."

Instead of a single screening procedure applied to all fliers, the group envisions that passengers would be divided into risk categories based on the information available about them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

At first I thought, 'Not too bad.' It looked like things might be improving or at least heading in a less violating manner. But then this paragraph stood out to me:

The first -- and quickest -- lane would only be available to fliers who have registered and undergone background checks with their governments.

So basically, if you don't want to be hassled by airport security, you can be offered the 'convenience' of submitting to background checks and being registered. Yuck.

Then on to normal passengers:

Normal screening in the second lane would apply to the majority of travelers. New technology would allow them to walk through without having to take off their clothes or shoes, or unpack their bags.

I wonder what that new technology is. It does not specify.

Unless this is it. Which sounds pretty disturbing:

A biometric identifier in your passport would determine which lane you go through based on a risk assessment performed before you arrive at the airport.

What in the heck is that?

I am completely sick of all of this nonsense.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Only problem with that..is that a known traveler..who is of no threat , could be used unknowingly to bring explosives on board.

Criminals with intent, can be very devious in how they get their crimes done , and will use anything in the system to help them out.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What does it say above the yellow gate? Enhanced, got it!
Funny thing is they all could be the same level of security and nobody would really know either.

Who picked the awesome color scheme for this 'Total Recall' like parody?
edit on 6/7/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ask yourself why each gate is so long and thick. Whats in the walls? Maybe like Total Recall????

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

the sign over the yellow gate says "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME AND PRAY I'M NOT ON YOUR FLIGHT"

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Really scarry.
More apartheid and dividing people.
The person who invented this, well, I wold put him on this scaner till he gets enough rays to death.
Trully unhuman, makes me puke.
SF

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Seriously, they could of done a better job at the design on this.
I think a polycarbonate portcullis on each end that crashes into place when the alarm goes off would be great!
Then they could gas the occupants while we all wait to go through the other checkpoints and watch.

Now that's entertainment!

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

It's not the gateway that needs to be changed - it's the gate keepers...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
about your passport id. Is that something new? Or just the RFID that's been in them for the last 5 years?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

my checkpoint of the future has everyone boarding a plane naked. it won't be strange, being naked in the airport because, in my world, the only way to know that everyone is safe, is by banning clothing.

and books.

they're the root of all this evil.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

That is exactly what I was thinking. lol Somewhat like the groping/humiliation one goes through when they opt out of the scanners, I wonder if the 'unknown gate' is supposed to be a humiliation for fliers who refuse to register with the government.

Scary stuff. But, yeah. I would be embarrassed to have to go through that line.

On that note, how is one deemed worthy to be in that 'bad' line? Just for being unregistered? I didn't understand exactly how one is determined to be in need of the bad checkpoint.

link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Interesting, and since DARPA has nearly fully developed its MALINTENT detection system,
this could get really interesting.

link   
YAY!! now there's non racial profiling.
A bomber could wire a bomb so that when they pass through that machine, if its detected...KABOOOOOM

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

It will never fly (no pun intended). Demographics and socio-economics will dictate that specific groups will be far more likely to be stuck in the slow lane, hence it will be deemed discriminatory. The background checks will cost you money to obtain, which will also be considered discriminatory. 6 months in and the ACLU will file suit.

They will also not fit in small airports, simply changing the routes folks take who wish to cause harm.

If the government is pushing it, there must be some juice on the back end for someone. GE's selling the gear or some other criminal out of the DHS/military industrial complex involved in the firm that will likely get the no-bid contract for production, implementation and maintenance of these devices. Perhaps Michael Chertoff has topped out on the dough his shop made on the full body scanners and needs a new revenue stream.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Why didn't they make the 'Enhanced' gate bright red, and cut out the BS?

I suspect if they did this they would remove the titles above each door. The only way to tell which one was which, would be to see where the white folks went.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I'm fine with that unless I have to sit next to this guy:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4efebe61786.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

no, the unregistered travellers go thru the normal lane. I'm guessing our wonderful TSA is planning on using the yellow lane for folks who have been in Iran/Afghanistan/Yemen etc in the last few years, have an arabic name, a criminal record or have, in some way or other, been added to their watch list. You know, like Cat Stevens and that 9 year old boy.

you think the TSA has trouble now with people whining about pat downs and nudie scans and whatnot? Wait until someone like me, or you, gets put on the yellow line, causing us to be patted down, groped, fondled, prodded and humiliated in front of everyone else.

Ok, wait, you might sue. That's satruday night for me, in a nutshell.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I believe the correct description would be "trapped beneath one of this guy's folds"

If the photographer were truly brilliant, he'd have angled the picture to make it look like the plane was tilting.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

That is exactly what I was thinking. lol Somewhat like the groping/humiliation one goes through when they opt out of the scanners, I wonder if the 'unknown gate' is supposed to be a humiliation for fliers who refuse to register with the government.

Scary stuff. But, yeah. I would be embarrassed to have to go through that line.

That's probably intentional. Humiliation can be a powerful psychological tool...
People will (generally) wish to and seek to avoid it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join