It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous and we are legion has been posted here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Which brings up a question who are they? Are they Impostors just trying to scare people or had the people who visited here been the real thing? I remember someone posting we are legion and saying they are anonymous in a thread. The idea of these high profile hackers making a profile and linking it to a email address sounds absurd granted they could have spoofed the email of someone else to make an account but why post here?

It got me thinking about why we have heard so many reports on conspiracy theorist lately and why the US government would want to declare hacking a war crime. Chances are 90% percent of the stuff we post about is rubbish. Yet sometimes small pebbles of truth get past government agencies and there is a good chance it ends up on a site such as this. Now all they have to do is say groups like anonymous aka we are legion and people like that killer in AZ who was a member of this site are linked to us and we hold extremist ideas.

I cant escape the feeling we are lab rats right now with all the stories about fake BC and Osama being dropped in the Ocean. It feels like they could be collecting data on us watching our reactions profiling us into groups based on our reactions to the stories.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Definatly imposters. Perhaps someone who likes the band of hackers and is in this way wearing the name as something of a badge of honor. Then, the name anonymous is as old as the hills. We are legion is something out of the bible and the excorsist. Could be fanboys or just from the latter mentioned sources is all.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

True but if i remember correctly it was pretty early on before they became as well known and what are the chances they would use both names
edit on 7-6-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Anonymous means we don't know who they are.

It could be anyone.

In Fact, if you or I claimed to be anonymous, and people didn't know who we were, we would in fact be anonymous.

That's why there are legions of them.

It's really hard to know who everyone is.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

As the threats to shutdown sites heats up,
there may come a time when the Site Owners here at ATS should be looking at a mirror backup site in Iceland

edit on 7-6-2011 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Anybody that claims they know what anonymous is doing or what it stands for more then everybody else is full of it. They don't know the next "member" of anon any more then you or I do. Because there are no members, you are anon, I am anon, they are anon. And no individual knows jack about what the rest of anon stands for or what the motives behind the actions really are. Unless they happen to be the ones doing all of the directing. Your opinion of who they are holds just as much weight as anybody that claims to be "from" anonymous. Don't feed the trolls.
edit on 7-6-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Excellent OP,

I am inclined to think the same way as the OP mostly because Annon have allowed themselves to be used in this way, in the fact that no one knows who they are...

would it be so hard to believe Annon have got themselves in a hole they cant get out of?
now anyone doing anything online can claim to be them and as no one is officially them, they cant really prove this either way.

it would be a great use of resources by any government agency to link "cyber terrorists" with conspiracy websites, and to further the belief that people are doing wrong on here they could then link the same "cyber terrorists" to news worthy acts of extreme behaviour such as hacking in Iran or stealing credit card details from sony (both of which i feel are a smoke screen)

i would certainley watch this space for an influx of people claiming to be involved with such groups!!

Stay safe people... trust few

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Anonymous is nothing but people that use 4chan. Which is an anime based message board.

They are trolls, that's all. They aren't an organization and historically liked to use DOS or spam attacks to sites that would cause "LULZ".

Attacking Iran or Sony really wouldn't make sense for their troll mindset.

Now everyone is claiming to be them that are carrying out malicious attacks. Just seems like a scheme to get the internet censored in my opinion.
edit on 6/7/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Anonymous started in the early 2000's on 4chan's /b/, as a group of hackers, and grew broader and wider. The term is simply now a blanket-term for a hacker on the internet who is simply anonymous, so most of us on here can be considering Anonymous.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
Definatly imposters. Perhaps someone who likes the band of hackers and is in this way wearing the name as something of a badge of honor. Then, the name anonymous is as old as the hills. We are legion is something out of the bible and the excorsist. Could be fanboys or just from the latter mentioned sources is all.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

Imposters? Who can be the imposter for no-one and everyone? It makes no sense.

"Band of Hackers" Lol?

"The name anonymous" - it's not a name. It's a description.

"we are legion" while being biblical, is exactly the POINT you are missing. All act as one, one is the sum of all. No one defines the definition. No one claims majority.

If you see an ant in your kitchen, do you think "That ant is the colony, I will kill it with my mighty fist of wrath and goodness." or do you think "Aww crap, where there is one, there is a billion more. If I kill one, I only inflame the colony." (Read Aaron Barr)

Besides you can tell a true anon - they deny it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom
Anybody that claims they know what anonymous is doing or what it stands for more then everybody else is full of it.

Lies.

Right NOW anon is drinking a very nice bourbon and honey while sitting back in a calmly lit room, on a cold chilly night with the fireplace crackling softly in the background.

It's not a very important raid, but it's doing me fine.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Thank you..
People that can't grasp it blow my mind.

If OP took their statement and thought of it literally "was anonymous here" instead of thinking of anon as a brand then maybe they would see how dumb they appear and be a little closer to grasping it.

Although I guess I can see how people can be confused with how the news portrays it. still they dumb.

edit on 7-6-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by badw0lf

Thank you..
People that can't grasp it blow my mind.

If OP took their statement and thought of it literally "was anonymous here" instead of thinking of anon as a brand then maybe they would see how dumb they appear and be a little closer to grasping it.

Although I guess I can see how people can be confused with how the news portrays it. still they dumb.

edit on 7-6-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)
still they dumb
dont you mean they are dumb not "they dumb"

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
of course this site is used by anon...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Well in regards to anonymous we will never know who really is and who isn't. I correspond with Anonymous but wouldn't consider myself a part of them, but others do not contact anonymous at all and WOULD consider themselves a part of anonymous. That is the beauty of decentralization.

I feel the same way you do about "gauging our reactions". I honestly believe the BC issue and OBL death are both what I like to call "dead end conpiracies" meaning that if they were true it would have no bearing on the course of history at all.

If McCain were in office we would still be in Libya, modern presidents are shills for the Oligarchy.

Osama Bin Laden was confirmed dead in 2002, and even the Taliban say they know where his remains are.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Anonymous means we don't know who they are.

It could be anyone.

In Fact, if you or I claimed to be anonymous, and people didn't know who we were, we would in fact be anonymous.

That's why there are legions of them.

It's really hard to know who everyone is.

Bingo .. and it's amazing how many people still try to label them as a group .. they are just that, anonymous .. there's no roster, there's no list.. it's anyone and everyone who pops into the chatrooms, image boards or forums to clump together for some sort of cause ( no matter how good or bad it may be )

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

Well in regards to anonymous we will never know who really is and who isn't. I correspond with Anonymous but wouldn't consider myself a part of them, but others do not contact anonymous at all and WOULD consider themselves a part of anonymous. That is the beauty of decentralization.

By talking to anyone on this forum who's identity you do not know automatically means "I correspond with Anonymous" is true .. since there is no official "Anonymous" membership, or group .. anyone who's not known is part of it by default..

Some "members" come on board simply to do one thing and then go back to their life as a chartered accountant .. they don't hold weekly meetings.. they don't have weekly dues.. there's no president ..

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

apparently you didn't read the headlines someone most likely a group of people hacked into the Iran government hummmm yeah but that was just a bunch of random acts by people all going off instinct and somehow they channeled each other so they all worked together

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by theRhenn

True but if i remember correctly it was pretty early on before they became as well known and what are the chances they would use both names
edit on 7-6-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

I see what you mean, but I still lean more towards the fanboy thing. They may have not been well known, per say, but known still, especially by folx who dabble in such things, or may be indirectly related.. ex. File sharing sites and the like. Intenet is to hackers as butter is to toast. Not everyone delves into such things, but many do. I didnt even know of these guys up untill the sony hack, in which they claim they had no responcibility. I kind of believe that also.

Then.. It appears that some of the group if not most or all, are politicaly motivated in some ways. I suppose that would be just as interested in such places as ATS, but highly doubt it. No one would give away their identities through these means that can be so easily trackable.

Still a decent point, none the less. I wouldnt guess that it would hold much weight though. Hackers are far more careful, especially these guys.

new topics

top topics

join