It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Most Disgusting Foods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

10. Casu Marzu

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4723687b040.jpg[/atsimg]

Sometimes referred to as ‘maggot cheese’, casu marzu is a Sardinian cheese made from goat’s milk. But what makes this food so disgusting is the way it’s prepared. Early in the fermenting process, the larvae of cheese flies are introduced. Over a period of weeks, the larvae hatch and begin feeding. As the cheese’s fats are broken down, a special flavor is produced which many consider to be delicious. When the time comes for human consumption, many people meticulously remove the maggots. However, some leave them in, believing that they add an extra flavorful punch.

9. Balut

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f8968106406e.jpg[/atsimg]

If someone placed balut on your plate, you might think they were serving you a hardboiled egg. That is, until you cracked it open and a fully intact duck embryo spilled out. Balut, considered a delicacy in many Asian countries, is produced when fertilized duck eggs are placed in warm sunlight. After about eight days, the eggs are held up to the light and checked to ensure that the budding embryo is ready. Then, the eggs are cooked and served with a dash of salt and a few squirts of lemon juice.

8. Potted Meat

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c13179df0c82.jpg[/atsimg]

Potted meat is not some strange foreign delicacy. In fact, this inexpensive meat product produced by Hormel is available at most any North American grocery store. However, when it comes to grossness, this well-known product rivals anything you’ll find in a third world country. A check of the ingredients listed on the label is proof enough: mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, beef hearts, water, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, salt, and less than 2 percent: mustard, natural flavorings, dried garlic, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite. Yummy!

7. Fermented Salmon Heads

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/895d1cb0eedd.jpg[/atsimg]

Referred to as ‘stink heads’ by people who won’t eat them, fermented salmon heads are a traditional Alaskan delight. After the heads are lopped off, they’re buried in the ground for at least a few weeks. As you’d expect, during this time the heads begin to rot. Before they have a chance to disintegrate completely, they’re dug up, mashed into a sort of pudding and served cold in bowls.

6. Jellied Moose Nose

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be780ff2ad0a.jpg[/atsimg]

This gross food is also enjoyed in the northernmost of the United States. Preparation is relatively simple: first, the moose‘s nose is removed. Then it’s boiled for a bit until the hairs become loose and can easily be plucked free. After a few spices are added, the meat is boiled even longer until it disintegrates into a gelatinous mass. Finally, it’s sliced and served chilled.

5. Bat Paste

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c4d33dcdf34.jpg[/atsimg]

This delightful dish is considered weird even in the few Asian countries where it’s eaten. First, a live bat is forced into a vat of boiling milk. Then, once it has reached optimum malleability, the bat is sliced into fine bits, mixed with various herbs and spices and mashed into a pulpy paste.

4. Hasma

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b709d1d3831.jpg[/atsimg]

In China, many people consider hasma dessert the perfect punctuation to a great meal. This disgusting dish is basically the fallopian tubes of frogs. Sold in a dried shrunken form, these amphibious reproductive organs are able to swell up to 10 to 15 times their dehydrated size once they are rehydrated with water. Afterward, a bit of sugar is added to give them that special sweetness most people desire from a dessert.

3. Haggis

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/70cfd2b2347a.jpg[/atsimg]

A traditional Scottish dish, haggis is really nothing more than a type of sausage. However, this particular sausage is comprised of a sheep’s lungs, liver and heart. Many describe haggis as resembling stuffed intestines more than sausage. However, although they admit it looks unappealing, Haggis-lovers swear that those who are brave enough to taste it will come running back for more.

2. Cockscomb

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8e32e2295c6.jpg[/atsimg]

If you’ve ever seen the floppy red mass resembling an upside down glove on the top of a rooster’s head, then you’ve seen a cockscomb. Once served as a garnish along side many traditional French foods, cockscomb is still used as a common ingredient in many Italian dishes and sauces.

1. Black Pudding

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11f1ddd618f4.jpg[/atsimg]

This dish is comprised largely of blood drawn from pigs, cattle or sheep. However, it doesn’t become blood pudding until the blood is allowed to coagulate, a filler of oatmeal, barley or sweet potato is added, and the entire mass is brought to a boil. During the cooking process, a delightful skin is produced atop the goo. While some like to remove the skin before plunging their spoon into the pudding, others enjoy its chewy texture and prefer to eat it last.

TopTenz

I don't know about you but I kinda like Haggis and Black Pudding!
I also find it surprising the only one I absolutely would not eat is #10 Maggot Cheese.
I've tried many different foods from different cultures and yes some of these listed are just horrible but you never know until you try something.
My favorite food, believe it or not is this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95205a401765.jpg[/atsimg]
Sautéed Cerveaux (Fried Brains)

Ingredients
1 calf's brain per person
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 bunch italian parsley chopped
1 lemon
1/2 stick salted butter
salt and pepper

Instructions
1. Pick the blood vessels and film off of the brains and soak in cold water overnight. Change the water every few hours. When they are properly soaked the water will remain clear.
2. Blanch in boiling water for two minutes and remove onto a rack to thoroughly drain
3. Season with and pepper
4. Roll through a pan of flour to coat evenly
5. Melt butter in a skillet on medium high heat. When it is frothy and begins to turn a nut brown color add brains. Sauté until golden brown, constantly basting with butter to evenly brown. Remove and keep warm.
6. In another skillet melt 3-4 Tablespoons of salted butter and quickly saute parsley and garlic. Remove from heat, squeeze lemon into garlic / parsley mixture, stir, and pour over brains.
7. Eat up!

Link to Full Recipe

BTW please list any uncommon foods or recipes you like or hate.
I would love to read or see them.
Thanx. . . AB

edit on 6/2/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
All that stuff seems like it's low carb too! Eat this nasty stuff and you'll probably loose weight.

edit on 2-6-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm with you on this one. I'll happily eat haggis, and black pudding is great with eggs and bacon for breakfast, but that cheese just looked awful! How mad was the first person to try that!!

Didn't like the look of that weird egg embryo chick thing either

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I am curious about your wine preferance with your brains...a nice white zin perhaps?

Yucky...it all sound terrible...

Starvation is sounding good compared to the menu!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
No, no, no, no. I was waiting for hotdogs. I knew a pathologist once who said they studied hotdogs under a microscope to identify different types of tissues in a hotdog. Yuck.
Interesting choices in any regard. The Bat paste image was especially tasty!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Being a vegetarian I wouldn't eat any of that. I could eat the cheese but there's no way I would.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

If you are starving you would eat anything... Just google search "donner party".

As for non-human fare I have to be partial to

Lengua- mexican tounge ( on tacos!).
Headcheese (self explanitory)
I absoulutely love liverwurst... Since I was a wee lad. I don't care whats in it I still love it!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lukrative
Being a vegetarian I wouldn't eat any of that. I could eat the cheese but there's no way I would.
I can not believe that you have been a member since 2009 and this is your first post!!! I guess everyone is passionate about something... Welcome to the discussion!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I can say for sure that I would not eat any of those things. I could maybe be tricked into them, if I didnt know what they were, and alcohol was involved.

I attended a bachelor party for the CMT show "My Big Redneck Wedding" a couple years ago. My ex-girlfriends brother was getting married. Embarrassing yes, but It was cool to be on TV. Anyway, at the bachelor party, we had fried pig testicles. And I must say, they were quite good, I must have ate about ten of them. Thats probably the strangest thing I have eaten.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I dont care what you say, that pudding is a pile of #.

That being said, I'd much eat that and everything else before that processed meat paste # that comes in a can... looks like dog food.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I used to love Chorizo.... Now i hate it, to many glands and cheek meat. Still tastes good but not for me anymore.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I was surprised to see black pudding at number 1 - while all the other entries had me gagging/wretching, I actually love black pudding with my breakfast

A traditional Welsh fry up includes laverbread - a deep green, slimy seaweed - something that most people would probably find unpleasant: Laverbread.

Fried in bacon fat - yum!

Also, as a traditional East End delicacy, I've never understood the appeal of jellied eels - although I'm tempted to give them a go: Eel House

edit on 2/6/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

mm, this looks yummy (this is actually a super expensive dish in china)
china, where anything is edible :/

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
OMG I was so shocked at some of those, but more shocked that haggis and blacl pudding were on it! I hate black pudding but its nowhere near as bad as the rest of them apart from haggis.

Haggis despite having some not very common ingredients is delicious! When I first was made it I had to be made to eat it but it is suprisingly delicious and I hate kidneys, liver etc any organs I hate! Haggis inside isnt just the organs whole too its all mashed up kinda and just tastes like spicey mince and it is delicious! emplore ATSers to try it! My girlfriend wont even eat meat on the bone because she thinks thats disgusting, but she loves haggis and actually likes blood pudding which I think is horrible.

Those two dont deserve to be so hight up though, I dont get how haggis even made it on there! You can get haggis at some of the best restraunts in the world occasionally as well. Now the frog follopian tubes one a those awful meats, eeeeeer thats hideous!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by coldbore

uhhh gross I rather eat balut egg than a dead human

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

but the meat just falls right off the bone...

jks, but in all honesty, its pretty messed up that someone would just eat an aborted fetus let alone sell them in a restarant (although you have to make a reservation ahead of time for it and it costs quite a hefty price, but its still messed)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by coldbore

WTF - I would have to say I will never eat that!

Unless stuck in a snow storm for a very long time without food.
GET IN MY BELLY!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It's probably a generational thing, but my dear old nan used to be partial to:

Sweetbreads

and

Offal

Ew!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Andrew Zimmerman from Bizzare Foods couldn't eat these