It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Endeavour space shuttle makes last touch-down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Space shuttle Endeavour has brought its 19-year operational career to a close with a textbook landing in Florida. The vehicle swept into a night-time touch-down at the Kennedy Space Center after a successful trip to the International Space Station (ISS). The US space agency (Nasa) is retiring its shuttle fleet and Endeavour will now be prepared for public display at a science museum in Los Angeles. Only the Atlantis ship has yet to make a final outing. It was moved to Kennedy's one active launch pad late on Tuesday night to get it ready for that swansong, which is expected to occur next month. Endeavour's rear wheels touched the runway at Kennedy at 0234 local time (0634 GMT). "It's sad to see her land for the last time, but she really has a great legacy," Commander Mark Kelly radioed after the vehicle had come to a stop. The ship was the youngest member of the fleet, built as a replacement for the Challenger vessel which was destroyed on launch in 1986.

Story

I'll do anything to go into space, one of my lifes dream. One of the best sights mankind has ever seen in my opinion. I hope in the near future we could explore further into out solar system or even outside. Just think what we could find. Magical.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
i watched it on tv,

watched the other one break up too.

challenger explosion, and many more landings. moon included.

this being the last is historical.

can't wait to see what comes next.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed that almost everything is making a final something? Final touchdown, final show. Is something serious about to happen that we don't know about? I believe things are winding down and the signs are everywhere

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ufomechanic

I have noticed that, Discovery and now Endeavour. hmmm strange.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

No, Endeavour is not the final shuttle flight. Atlantis is scheduled to launch in July. That will be the final shuttle launch.

I live over 50 miles off Endeavor's landing path, and still heard it. Thanks be to the east breeze tonight, otherwise I'd have never heard it's final sonic boom. I napped through Endeavor's final launch *sniff* I can see launches quite clearly from my home across the state here on the west coast. I was incredibly disappointed in myself for snoozing through Endeavour's final launch. I think being surprised with hearing it's return makes up for it, however.
I heard, and bid farewell to, Discovery on it's way home as well. Perhaps I can have a personal farewell trifecta with Atlantis. We owe our space birds far more than we ever give them credit for

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

yes, you're correct.

and i hope to see that too.

top topics

join