It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Backs Arizona Immigration Law That Punishes Businesses

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Supreme Court Backs Arizona Immigration Law That Punishes Businesses

www.cnn.com

May 26, 2011 11:04 a.m. EDT

Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal immigrants, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/26/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well it looks like there is some hope for state's rights after all. Although I am very pro-business, I do not support businesses who continue to hire illegal aliens. Although this will not stop illegal aliens from entering our country, it will cause the source of their income to really think about whether or not it is worth the risk to hire them.....

Excerpts from the article:

The 5-3 ruling Thursday is a victory for supporters of immigration reform on the state level.

The hiring case turned on whether state law tramples on federal authority.

Gov. Jan Brewer had backed the law, telling CNN in December when the case was argued, "The bottom line is that we believe that if the (federal) government isn't going to do the job then Arizona is going to do the job. We are faced with a crisis."

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Additional sources:

May 26, 2011
10:51 AM

The Supreme Court today upheld an Arizona law penalizing companies that hire illegal immigrants, rejecting a challenge by business groups and civil liberties organizations, our court correspondent Joan Biskupic reports.

Updated at 11:36 a.m.: U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, released a statement supporting the ruling: "Not only is this law constitutional, it is commonsense. American jobs should be preserved for Americans and legal workers."

Source: content.usatoday.com...

US States Can Shut Firms With Illegals: Supreme Court
(AFP) – 34 minutes ago

WASHINGTON — The US Supreme Court ruled Thursday that a state has the right to revoke the license of a business that knowingly employs illegal immigrants, in a case watched for implications on related judicial battles.

The top US court in a 5-3 decision upheld Arizona's 2007 law, saying the state was within its rights under a 1986 federal immigration reform measure.

The law "expressly reserves to the states the authority to impose sanctions on employers hiring unauthorized workers, through licensing and similar laws," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote.

"It uses the federal government's own definition of 'unauthorized alien,' it relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."

Source: www.google.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well, the only way we can to begin to clean up the immigration mess is to make it very painful to businesses that hire these people.

That is why they are here, mostly, to work etc.

They are like termites eating away at the foundation of this country and will eventually cause it's downfall. IMO

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Good for AZ. Looks like they get my nod for some kind of vacation there.
Great for States Rights.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I am no Tea Partier, but this is a great, if small, ruling for the People against the corporations. If you want to stop illegal immigration, you have to stop rewarding employers for hiring (and abusing) illegal immigrants.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Good for AZ. Looks like they get my nod for some kind of vacation there.
Great for States Rights.

Exactly. Just when you start to think that there seems to be no more rights for individual states, some little ray of sunshine appears which makes sense and gives hope for the future.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So what's the point?

There are a bunch of anti-illegal immigrant laws and a bunch of supposed barriers that makes hiring of illegal immigrants more difficult.

However there is zero enforcement. There is near zero enforcement of existing laws, there will be no difference with this one.

Business groups are going to lobby hard and make sure that the government does nothing. Civil "liberties" groups will protest any enforcement actions.

Nothing will change.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Looks like I will be applying for a job or a future transfer to arizona, they can have my business and taxes.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Even though I'm not in AZ. I would much rather have an illegal work for me, that would actually work and contribute to my business than some anglo slacker that thinks he is doing me a favor by just hanging around and criticizing all the Mexicans that are actually "WORKING"

This act will doom agriculture in AZ. Truck crops will rot in the field.

I'm not for illegal immigration however. Bring back the "Bracero" program.

www.farmworkers.org...
edit on 26-5-2011 by whaaa because: pt pt pt

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

hahaha, you are kidding right?

this was the weakest arguement in the history of weak arguements.

But its ok, You would rather hire someone thats not even part of this country rather than your own brothers and sisters.

hmm. that says a lot.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Even though I'm not in AZ. I would much rather have an illegal work for me, that would actually work and contribute to my business than some anglo slacker that thinks he is doing me a favor by just hanging around and criticizing all the Mexicans that are actually "WORKING"

some "Anglo" slacker eh?

Replace "anglo" with "latino" or "black" and maybe you can see how blatantly racist, offensive, and hateful your comment is.

You probably would rather have an illegal immigrant work for you because he is not white considering your blatant racism.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by whaaa

hahaha, you are kidding right?

this was the weakest arguement in the history of weak arguements.

But its ok, You would rather hire someone thats not even part of this country rather than your own brothers and sisters.

hmm. that says a lot.

No, he's not kidding. The Left-Aid is strong in this one.

The SCOTUS has made a decision that supports the law. They'd better be careful about that. We can't have them following that silly Constitution thingamajobber.

This is priceless:

In dissent, Justice Sonia Sotomayor noted E-Verify is a voluntary program and said criticism that the federal government is not doing enough to enforce the law is irrelevant.

"Permitting states to make use of E-Verify mandatory improperly puts states in the position of making decisions ... that directly affect expenditure and depletion of federal resources," she wrote.

Well, well, well. The La Raza shill herself dissented in an opinion against Arizona on an issue that affects illegals. Very, very interesting.

/TOA

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I said this on the other thread with the same topic, but it's important to mention that the supreme court only ruled this way because they followed their own federal guidelines. This should be an indication to people how thoroughly insane the federal government is for suing Arizona for trying to enforce federal law. Now the supreme court just made it that much more painfully obvious that federal law does give states power to enforce immigration issues. The supreme court in no way is playing the good guy, they are not giving power to the states, they are merely following federal law which happens to give power to the states, so the contradiction with the "supremacy clause" is interesting to note, meaning the feds will just have to alter that law so this idea of state power is erased from people's minds. Or, maybe not.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Now they got to go after the slumlords that rent housing to them. No job, no house, then they either go home, or become citizens and pay what the rest of us have to.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This is a start but I fear it is too little too late. With this ruling, Illegals will not work at all. They will just have babies and create more welfare farms.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I'm not for illegal immigration however. Bring back the "Bracero" program.

www.farmworkers.org...
edit on 26-5-2011 by whaaa because: pt pt pt

I think you will be surprised when you find out that crops will NOT rot in the field, and the world will not end because employers stop hiring illegals for farms, construction work, motels and restaurants, etc. What will happen is that employers, at least in Arizona, will not risk losing their business license to operate for the sake of saving a few bucks by hiring illegals; If they have no business, what good is it that they have saved some money? I am confident that there are plenty of LEGAL immigrants, or resident aliens, and American citizens who can and are willing to fill these jobs.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
No more undocumented democrats!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
New video today from msnbc:

Video: SCOTUS Upholds Ariz. Immigration Law

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The rule of law in this country is so #ed up.

The Federal government's duty is to regulate our borders, which it fails to do. As a consequence, a State has to pass legislation that stops businesses from hiring illegals.

Two things:
1. Business shouldn't hire illegal immigrants.
2. It is not the business' responsibility to determine whether an immigrant is here legally or illegally.

Believe me, I am a major proponent of States' rights, but this is kind of a catch-22 and the wrong entity is being punished (first), in my opinion. The Federal government is failing in its duties and bussiness are forced to do it for them, else face charges.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

With almost 10 % unemployment, I dont think Arizonas agriculture or any other branch of economy has anything to be afraid of. There is enough manpower to gather the crops and to finaly build the goddamn border fence, too.

As for the topic, I am glad to hear that. Now how about punishing the illegals themselves? Deportation would be a good start.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join