It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70,000 Al-Sadr Militia and Supporters March In Iraq Protesting The US/UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

BAGHDAD – Militiamen and followers of anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr led a massive rally on Thursday, marching in Baghdad in a show of force as Iraqi leaders weigh whether to keep U.S. troops in the country beyond the end of the year.

U.S., Israeli and British flags were painted on the pavement to be stomped on by the marching protesters, and Iraqi military helicopters buzzed overhead while soldiers stood guard to keep peace if needed. Organizers said at least 700,000 militiamen and al-Sadr supporters had taken to the streets while the U.S. military estimated the crowd at about 70,000.

Looks like alot of people in Iraq are getting fed up (most already have been fed up I believe) with foreign military presence there. The US is supposed to leave by December this year....but we're reconsidering now.

Under a security agreement between Washington and Baghdad, the 46,000 combat troops still in Iraq are required to leave by Dec. 31. But Iraq's widespread instability has led U.S. and Iraqi leaders to reconsider the deadline for the sake of the country's security.

The article is saying attacks and bombings have increased in the past few months to.

Already, American forces in Baghdad and southern Iraq have seen an increase in rocket and mortar attacks as well as roadside bombs in recent months. U.S. officials have blamed the uptick on Shiite militias backed by Iran who are trying to take credit for driving American forces from Iraq.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
It's good to know that the Iraqis have the means and ability to form such protests, makes me wonder how much of the US involvement there has contributed to that.

As for our wars... uhg. While I understand the whole stability thing, it's just... uhg. I wish we would GTFO and mind our own business, let them deal with their own problems. We went in there for a reason, we did what we set out to do, and how many years now has it been since?

Purpose for Iraq war: Remove Saddam from power. Check
Purpose for Afgan war: Bring the terrorists responsible for 9/11 to justice: Check

Unfortunately we've found other reasons to keep these campaigns going beyond the initial scope. Which sucks.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

I wish we would GTFO and mind our own business, let them deal with their own problems. We went in there for a reason, we did what we set out to do, and how many years now has it been since?

Thats what I think to. We did what we were supposed to do years ago (cant say I agree with going there in the first place)....and we're still there. Just hurry up and get out. These protests have been growing since a few months ago, and attacks on our troops have been increasing. Theres no reason for us to be there.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
geeze, we had 'em all bunched up!

missed that, i guess.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

While they claim they don't have the money to help the victims of Joplin Missouri. They always have the money to be where they don't need to be and do what they shouldn't be doing. Of course all of this is playing right into their hands to have a good reason to stay longer and spread more death and destruction. They say the US do not understand the Iraqi people. I say they know them only too well. It is the Iraqis that don't understand the US govt. and once again are being played like fine violin.

new topics

top topics

join