It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark deny banning Marmite because it has too many vitamins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Denmark deny banning Marmite because it has too many vitamins

www.metro.co.uk

The savoury spread has been taken off the shelves in Danish shops as part of a clampdown on foods fortified with vitamins and minerals.

Marmite is high in B vitamins and fortified with folic acid, which helps prevent spinal problems in unborn babies.

Danish authorities imposed the restrictions to protect customers from exceeding safe levels of nutrients in their diet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline

edit on 25/5/11 by argentus because: changed headline to reflect that of source

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hell yeah, the nany state knows best what you need. Fluoride is good, people, B vitamins are not. It's ridiculous. A nutritionist quoted in the article says that the high content of salt is perhaps of concern, but seriously, we all know that pretty much all the processed foods we eat contain way too much of it.

www.metro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Seriously, too many vitamins? Are the people eating so well this is really a risk?

Americans eat like hogs and are largely nutritionally deficient thanks to all the empty crap.

I love marmite but it gives me terrible headaches for some reason.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
And just when you think you've seen it all, something is taken off the shelves in an entire country because it is too nutritious! WTH is wrong with some people?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, I've been living in this country for the past year and although people are generally health-conscious (ecological foods are booming here), I know a large number of people who are eating all but healthy. The Danish kitchen (as far as you can speak of one) heavily relies on saturated fats.

When a government forbids a healthy product, the alarm bells start ringing immediately. They couldn't care less about our health, but supposedly, they do care about our vitamin intake. I should say: vitamin "overload". Due to a lack of vitamins in processed foods, most people have serious vitamin deficiencies, but are they ever concerned about that? Of course not! Pharmaceutical lobbyists pay them more than enough to not be concerned.

Just google vitamin d3 deficiency + population.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

In Australia we have marmite on our shelves but Vegemite (pretty much the same thing) is one of our most popular foods! This is just madness! I have never heard of anyone overdosing on vitamin B from eating any of the "Mites" including vegemite, marmite & promite! I have heard of people mixing it with hot water and injecting it many years ago (mainly in jails) Injecting anything is pretty stupid and most people don't think that way!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I thought they banned it because the additives were declared beforehand like the Danish consumer-protection laws require..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I prefer Vegamite to Marmite.

The Danes can thank their lucky stars that their govt. has moved to ban such things.

Who knows how many millions of lives they have saved with this move!

ETA: Those B vitamins have also been shown to keep biting insects away, in addition to the internal health benefits.
edit on 25-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

promite

I've not heard of that brand.

How does it compare to the other 'mites'?
Wikipedia says it's sweeter.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The best bit about it is Vegemite is not banned in Denmark, they do however have an Australian married into the royal family .

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Marmite is high in B vitamins and fortified with folic acid, which helps prevent spinal problems in unborn babies.

We cant have that
its the year 2011 babies need to be weak and unhealthy, they'll be more easily controllable

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
They are a bunch of nutters for banning Marmite. Theres nothing better than some marmite on toast. Its an excelent spread and very good for you. I cant believe those vikings have banned it.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It's not just cause of too many vitamins.
The story is definitely edited some way.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Can't wait for the advertisers to pick up on this. For all you non UK folks the marmite adverts play on the fact that some people hate it and the tactic works quite well. So given that we tend to have marmite on buttered toast or bread I can see some wonderful use of Danish butter in the adverts. Lurpak (danish butter brand) will be dreading the negative effect this will have......

I think this is all a conspiracy anyway! I have evidence: The Danish crown princess (Queens daughter in law) is Australian and she wants Vegemite (Australian lighter version of Marmite) to be promoted.

Please please please let me start this conspiracy.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
This may not be as evil as has been stated. The article goes on to say that fortified foods have to be approved by there government, and the spread in question has not been. So perhaps all they need to do is get it approved and it will be back on the shelves.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

That about says it all! Never tried Vegemite. Suppose I had better. It is obviously an inferior product with fewer vitamins.

You have got to be kidding me!! Talk about the nanny state. Can't have people being well, no no no that will never do. How will Big Pharna survive if we are all well?

I have been eating Marmite for years and years, in fact Marmite is one of the things that I attribute to the fact that I am as healthy as I am at the age of 63. That and copious quantities of peanut butter!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by phatpackage

promite

I've not heard of that brand.

How does it compare to the other 'mites'?
Wikipedia says it's sweeter.

Had it years ago. Not a lot of difference to vegemite. Spread a little bit easier!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Vegimite tastes completely different to Marmite to me.
I'm a firm believer in allowing ones body to take the lead when it needs vitamins. Sometimes I crave Marmite, others orange juice, maybe certain veggies. It seem's obvious to me my bodys steering me towards certain foods when I'm lacking particular vitamins or minerals.
No chance of me overdosing on multivits - Have you SEEN the size of most of them? I never know whether they are supposed to be swallowed or shoved where the sun don't shine.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
i guess no one realized that codex alimentarius came into effect as a global measure by the UN.

this has nothing to do with local governments, they just follow suit on what the world government dictates.

not surprising news

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

If that is the case, why has it not been banned worldwide?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join