It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Gamma Ray Bursts the secret to living longer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I have just thought of an idea while looking at this thread. Could Gamma rays be helpful to us humans?

Here is a link for a description of gamma rays...but for those of you that don't want to read or don't like to click links here is the quick and edited version:

Intense gamma radiation can kill bacteria and other microbes. This makes it useful for sterilizing medical equipment.

This quote got me thinking about the Gamma ray bursts that people are talking about. Is it possible that a low concentration gamma ray burst aimed at the Earth would just wipe out all the bacteria and other microbes that make up the human body? Scientists aren't even sure what all the bacteria and microbes do for us...some are helpful others are harmful and some don't seem to do anything! Here is another link about the human microbiome ( I am sorry that it is wikipedia!! ).

In Scientific American they talk about the human microbial environment and that they don't yet understand what rapid changes would mean for it. With the average human life span inching its way up over the years ( in developed countries ), Betsy Foxman, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan (U.M.) School of Public Health in Ann Arbor had this to say,

each new generation in developed countries comes into the world with fewer of these native populations (microbes). They're actually missing some component of their microbiota that they've evolved to have.

It seems to me that missing components = longer life. ( Just my opinion...no sources ). What would happen if a gamma ray burst hit the Earth and cleansed it of all the bacteria and microbes? Would we find we would live longer? Would bacteria/microbes from space wipe us all out? I am interested to read your opinions.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, gamma rays have been known to give SuperHeros their powers.. So maybe you're onto something.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

That would be the best scenario ever!
2nd.
Edit: I was thinking of titling this thread: " Can you be the Incredible Hulk!?"

edit on 23-5-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i hope you realize that the majority of the human body is interdependant mico-organisms...

Wouldnt want to kill your friends would you???

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
We need most of the bacteria that is in our bodies. We probably would live much shorter lives without them.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

That is true, but, they don't know what a vast number of these bacteria do! In the sources that I put, they admit they have no idea what would happen. They also have no idea what will happen when they keep introducing these to people..ex: probiotics in yogurt. We could be harming ourselves for all we know! If people in the developed countries are being born with "missing" bacteria/microbes, and they are living longer lives...it just seems that the correlation is there.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Humans needs the good bacterias.
Especially for digestion.

Good bacterias

And...
The Diversity of life

Microbes — living things so small they cannot be seen with the naked eye — are indispensable to all life on Earth. They produce more than half of Earth’s atmospheric oxygen; the bacteria among them are responsible for putting nitrogen into a form plants can use; and bacteria and fungi are the most important “decomposers” of the natural world — they break down dead organic matter, such as tree branches, and recycle the resulting elements back into the Earth.

With other words.. All breathing animals would die, without our friends: The microbes.

edit on 2011-5-23 by tomten because: added more info

edit on 2011-5-23 by tomten because: added more..

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

My google search on raditation and food longevity [your thread reminded me of Philip Corso eating irradiated food that had be stored for YEARS on a plate in a dry dark environment!
]\

My Google Search: radiation food longevity [google.com.au]

The Effect of Radiation on the Longevity of the Cockroach, Periplaneta americana, as Affected by Dose, Age, Sex and Food Intake. (by D. R. A. Wharton and Martha L. Wharton) [jstor.org]

The effects of radiation on the longevity of female Drosophila subobscura. (Marion J. Lamb Department of Zoology, University College, London UK Received 30 November 1963. Available online 30 September 2003.) [sciencedirect.com]

Experiments which investigated the effect of X-ray doses up to 60,000 rad on the further expectation of life of triploid and two classes of diploid adult female Drosophila melanogaster are described. Low doses produced an increase in the further expectation of life of triploid and of one of the classes of diploid females, but higher doses produced a linear reduction in lifespan with increasing dose.

The longevity of adult male and virgin female Drosophila subobscura exposed to single doses of X-rays 4–8 days after eclosion has been investigated. When kept on a maize meal-agar-molasses medium which was replaced every 4 days, males showed a nearly linear reduction in lifespan with increasing dose; females showed an increase in lifespan after doses of 8500, 17,000, or 34,000 r. Evidence is given that this increase in longevity is correlated with a decrease in fecundity after irradiation.

LONGEVITY, RESISTANCE TO DEPRIVATION OF FOOD AND WATER, AND SUSCEPTIBILITY TO MALATHION AND DDT OF ORIENTAL FRUIT FLIES, MELON FLIES, AND MEDITERRANEAN FRUIT FLIES SEXUALLY STERILIZED WITH TEPA OR RADIATION. (by Keiser, I. ; Schneider, E.L. Publication Date 1969 Jan 01 ) [osti.gov]

Personal Disclosure:
Amazing!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Microbes are your friend. You need microbes to survive. All the antibacterial stuff is a scam to sell products. You need the good bacteria.

Gamma rays tend to remove parts of your DNA code, causing awful things to happen to all your cells. You never get superpowers.
edit on 23-5-2011 by earthdude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

wow. If that translates to humans, guys might be in trouble, " Not tonight dear, I want to live longer."

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

It all depends on the concentration of Gamma rays...and I hope everyone knows that you won't get superpowers.

top topics

join