It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, UK and European envoys trapped in Yemen siege

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

US, UK and European envoys trapped in Yemen siege

www.cnn.com

The American, British and European Union ambassadors to Yemen are trapped in an embassy surrounded by gunmen angry about efforts by Arab mediators to ease President Ali Abdullah Saleh out of power, a source familiar with the situation told CNN Sunday.

Two senior State Department officials confirmed that pro-Saleh demonstrators were preventing U.S. Ambassador Gerald Feierstein from leaving the United Arab
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
OK here we go....

I wonder how this will play out. Images of the 1979 Iran hostage situation came to mind while reading this. If it gets worse they'll send in the Marines on a rescue mission. If that happens we could be looking at yet another political disaster if people [armed gunmen or not] are killed in the street.

Thousands of Saleh supporters blocked roads leading to a building where Saleh was meeting with senior offcials from the ruling party Sunday, saying they would not let the president leave the compound and sign the proposal.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You know exactly how this is going to start playing out........

The plans have been implemented , and the chess pieces are starting to move.............

People should have paid more attention to the warnings ...........everything is being set up perfectly for the muslim factions to start taking complete control over gov in the middle east............what people think all this was just accidents?

This is just one more piece
edit on 22-5-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
thanks for thread... I had no idea things had gone this far..
It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out..

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'll try to keep this thread update as this unfolds.
Stay tuned....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
My initial thoughts run along the lines of wondering if the Saudi Marines might not take the lead in this one??

I know the Royal Marines have been training the Saudi Marines in amphib/helicopter born raids.. I would bet (perhaps wrongly as I do not know for sure) that they have also received similar training from the US Marines.

IMHO.. I would perhaps suit the way things seem to be turning at the moment..

Edit to remove unnecessary quote..
edit on 22/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e9e4b389679.jpg[/atsimg]
Armed Yemeni mob traps US, European envoys

News Sections
Date: Sunday May. 22, 2011 11:09 AM ET

SANAA, Yemen — The U.S., European and Gulf Arab ambassadors were trapped inside a diplomatic mission Sunday by an armed mob angry over a deal for Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down after 32 years in power. Prospects that Saleh would sign the pact as promised were thrown into doubt.

Wielding knives, daggers and swords, hundreds of Saleh loyalists blocked the entrances to the United Arab Emirates Embassy, where at least five ambassadors were gathered in expectation the embattled leader would arrive to sign the deal.

"Everybody is worried. We can't leave the embassy," said a Saudi diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject.

Pro-Saleh militiamen dressed in traditional Yemeni dress roamed the streets of the capital, especially outside embassies, and blocked the road to the presidential palace

edit on 22-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
People should have paid more attention to the warnings ...........everything is being set up perfectly for the muslim factions to start taking complete control over gov in the middle east............what people think all this was just accidents?

It does seems a bit fishy to me how all of this is starting to play out. I'm searching for a recent video link

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

i just saw a breaking news ticker on aljazeera saying that there was a helicopter that landed near UAE`s embassy and took them away.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

Thanks for the headsup.
I'm trying to find a link to that possible development.
Nothing so far...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Is this part of Arab Spring?
What else do we have to look forward to?
S+F for the heads up!
Beez

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

---------Thread Update---------

Ambassadors flown out of besieged Sanaa embassy

SANAA, Yemen — Witnesses say Yemeni army helicopters took U.S. and other ambassadors out of a besieged embassy to the presidential palace to witness ruling party leaders signing an agreement for the president to step down in 30 days.

However, state TV says President Ali Abdullah Saleh will not sign the deal unless opposition leaders are present.

The U.S., European and Arab ambassadors, who were pressing Saleh to sign the accord, were trapped for hours Sunday in an embassy by an armed mob of the president's supporters. Eventually, Yemeni army helicopters ferried the diplomats out to the palace.

State TV then showed ruling party leaders signing the pact at the palace as Saleh and the U.S. ambassador stood behind them. Saleh himself did not sign.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
ETA to remove linky posted above.

edit on 22/5/11 by thoughtsfull because:
simply not quick enough

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well that's over. It could have gotten a lot uglier real quick. It was one interesting ride while it lasted.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I have to agree it certainly could have got very ugly quickly.. and it's good this got resolved
however I still think it will get very ugly in the weeks ahead.

Now if there was a way to rescue us from this path to destruction.. that would be even better

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It sounds to me that the draw of protesters weren't for the embassy workers at all, hence why they were able to get out of there rather easily.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

You know exactly how this is going to start playing out........

The plans have been implemented , and the chess pieces are starting to move.............

This is just one more piece
edit on 22-5-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

Completely agreed, but the question is who is playing the chess pieces.

I am of the opinion that it is our beloved military/industril/prison/propaganda complex fomenting chaos in order to feed the bloodlust of our angry war machine.
Just as the investors in the many military industrial corporations benefitted from our arming of rebels in the middle east during the Soviet conflict, they will soon benefit from the necessary might that will be used to quell the continual uprisings in the middle east.

As far as the envoys, ummmm....

I would say that they have put themselves into this debacle.
Any American located in a handful of unstable regions in the middle east is a walking target, and justifiably so.

Smedley Butler said it best when he stated that the only reasons to go to war are defense of our country and the Bill of Rights.

I think that it still escapes most people that we are in the Middle East based upon a big fat lie. A fabrication.

A falshood.

This type of behavior is unsustainable in the long run.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Glad everything worked out.

But Yemen is still a hotbed for future problems.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes I am too grateful it ended peacefully.

new topics

top topics

join